User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low Water Pressure - Quantifying & Troubleshooting

Using a Water Bandit adapter and Rain Wave meter I set out today to try and quantify what I mean when complaining about the kitchen sink's low water pressure in my 315RLTS.

First I established what I experience as "normal". I did this by testing the four bathroom sinks in my house. All four delivered ~1.5 gallons of water in a 1 minute period. (I used 1 minute for every test, so I won't repeat that quantifier over and over.) Note I ran each test at least twice to verify the readings. Each test was within .1 gallons. All readings were taken using the faucet set to full cold.

Then I went outside and tested the exterior water faucet attached to my home. It showed ~48 psi of pressure (with no water flowing). With the Rain Wave attached it delivered 5.4 gallons. I have a water line running to the back of my property (~75' of buried line) to another water faucet for the trailer. That faucet also showed almost 48 psi of pressure but only delivered 3.8 gallons.

I then ran a series of tests to see what effect different components have on water delivery to my trailer. I added a regulator and water quantity was 3.5 gallons (a .3 gallon reduction). With just a filter (CAMCO blue model) the delivery was 3.1 gallons (a .7 reduction). With the regulator and filter the delivery was 3 gallons, so loss is not cumulative.

I then tried a 25' Zero G hose (nothing else) and the quantity was 3.1 gallons. A 50' Zero G delivered 3 gallons--within the margin of error, so the additional 25' of hose had little impact.

With the regulator and the 50' hose attached I powerfilled the trailer's fresh water tank (the hot water tank was bypassed). The total was 2.5 gallons. (I conclude that there is a water restriction when going through the Nautilus panel.)

I then went inside and tested the bathroom sink and kitchen sink using the trailer's pump and city water. (The city water connection was using the lower-flowing exterior water faucet at the rear of my property. The regulator and 50' hose were again being used with the city water settings.)

Using the pump, the bathroom sink delivered 1.2 gallons. The kitchen sink varied wildly, going from .6 gallons, to .9, and then bounced back and forth from .7 to .8 after multiple tests. (Again using the pump.)

Using city water, the bathroom sink delivered .9 gallons. The kitchen sink only .5 gallons. (So to circle back to the first paragraph where I established that 1.5 gallons is "normal", .5 gallons in a minute translates to "feels like low water pressure".)

For the last test I removed the kitchen sink's sprayer head and tested it again. Delivery doubled to 1 gallon (on city water).

As I've posted here I have already removed the water restrictor from the sprayer head, so tomorrow I'm going to see if I can find a replacement sprayer head that doesn't restrict the water delivery as much as the OEM head.

I'll update tomorrow after changing out either the sprayer head or replacing the entire faucet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water Pics.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	17098
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did you try and remove the flow restricter in the bath facet and kitchen sink heads?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Did you try and remove the flow restricter in the bath facet and kitchen sink heads?
    I did. In fact I wrote up how to disassemble the head: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ater-Pressure)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard

In our trailer I have noticed more pressure on the pump than on city water. I will have to run your test when it gets warmer here.

Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a water pressure problem after I replaced the on-board water filter. I replaced that filter with a 5 micron one and had no more pressure problem.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, you have way too much time on your hands. Good job, though, nice to know.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard, thank you for that information. You answered one big question for me and that was “does the onboard filter with a pressure regulator combine to reduce the water pressure?” It appears not enough to be noticeable , so the problem points back to the kitchen sink faucet again and again.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great information Howard! Thanks for sharing.

The kitchen faucet in our Reflection had low water pressure as well but the kitchen faucet in our Solitude is awesome. Almost too much pressure if you can believe that. The bad news? The shower in both rigs has horrible pressure. I removed both of the flow restrictors in both 5th wheels and it didn't seem to make any difference. I also replaced the shower head in both rigs and that still didn't make much difference.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same issue with low pressure in the kitchen faucet...........cleaning under the sink I found the weight that retracts the hose into the goose neck kinking the hose...hose is very thin and easily kinks. Relocated the weight and I now have plenty of pressure. I also was going to change the head. Was driving me crazy.
    Tom
    Tom and Sandi
    2017 337RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by st2rv View Post
    Had the same issue with low pressure in the kitchen faucet...........cleaning under the sink I found the weight that retracts the hose into the goose neck kinking the hose...hose is very thin and easily kinks. Relocated the weight and I now have plenty of pressure. I also was going to change the head. Was driving me crazy.
    Tom
    I tried that on mine and unfortunately it didn't make any difference. I was hoping for an easy fix.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast