User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why RV Tires Fail

An article I found informative: http://www.rvtiresafety.net/search/label/Speed%20Rating

Thanks goes to @bigb56 for the original link to the article in an different thread.

A few quotes from the article that caught my attention:

Tire failures usually occur because of cumulative internal structural damage from heat and time. The excess heat comes from the combination of speed/inflation/load.

...tires can tolerate a certain level of abuse be it over-load, under inflation or over speed. But every minute a tire is operating outside its design capacity the driver is consuming large portions of the tire life and the tire will eventually fail. Sometimes in a catastrophic manner.

When that happens all to often the driver says
    "I was just driving 50 mph down the road and had checked the air that morning when the tire blew out. must have been a defective tire". In reality it was the driver's conscious decision to ignore the specifications for the tire be it load, inflation or speed and many miles of improper operation finally caught up with the driver.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just my opinion and I have zero facts to back up my claim. After watching 5th wheels backing in to sites I have watched many making turns of 80 to 90 degrees backing in and watch the sidewalls of the 5er tires twist and even look like they are going to come off the rim. I think this harms tires and like says above "operating outside its design capacity the driver is consuming large portions of the tire life and the tire will eventually fail." I always tried when backing in not to exceed 40 to 50 degrees.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, for sharing that, Howard. I am hearing Rick's voice @RickTulsa in the background echoing the very same things. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...st&showposts=1

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Thanks, for sharing that, Howard. I am hearing Rick's voice @RickTulsa in the background echoing the very same things. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...st&showposts=1

Dan
    Hi Howard,

I was about to make the same comment as Dan just did. A while back, we had a member of this forum whose career had also been in the tire manufacturing industry. The information and advice that Rick Tulsa gave us, was very much in line with this series of articles and responses by Roger Marble. Much of the "tire information" that we find on the web is anecdotal and not really very useful. This info is a good find! I would suggest putting a link to this in the Library where we can find it more easily in the future.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent points. All we can do is buy the best tires possible, keep them aired up and watch our speeds so as to not exceed the tire speed ratings. On my new Goodyear Endurance I believe they carry an 82 mph speed rating but many older tires are limited to 65 mph, which was no doubt exceeded with regularity by a lot of folks.

I used to watch overloaded toy haulers pulled with overloaded 3/4 ton pickups with huge lift kits on them barreling down Interstate 8 around Yuma at high speeds all the time. And I used to see a lot of broken down rigs on the side of the road with blown tires and other problems. Go figure.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    On my new Goodyear Endurance I believe they carry an 82 mph speed rating but many older tires are limited to 65 mph,
    Leon T - The article that Howard linked to makes the specific point that there are no product improvements or actual data to support the increase in ST speed ratings.

Quoting from that article . . .
    The addition of higher speed ratings was not accomplished with improved engineering but because of Import Tariffs being imposed on non-speed rated tires by US Dept of Commerce in 2017 and as if by magic each and every tire company making ST type tires almost overlight added high-speed capability to the tires.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Leon T - The article that Howard linked to makes the specific point that there are no product improvements or actual data to support the increase in ST speed ratings.

The addition of higher speed ratings was not accomplished with improved engineering but because of Import Tariffs being imposed on non-speed rated tires by US Dept of Commerce in 2017 and as if by magic each and every tire company making ST type tires almost overlight added high-speed capability to the tires.

Rob
    The store manager at Discount made a point about how they carry the higher speed rating and I don't remember how he worded it, but the clear insinuation was that the higher speed rating was due to tire improvements. If that article is accurate it's a recipe for disaster. These Goodyears aren't imported, they're USA made if that makes a difference in relation to what the article is saying about imported tires. I assume Goodyear would be compelled to up their speed rating in response to competitors though.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With everything we have learned it would be a good reason ( as Rob had pointed out before) for replacing the trailer tires after 3 or 4 years regardless of how they look.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Rob
    Wow that is surprise, Rob ! I have no knowledge to as to if or if there is not a manufacturing difference but I just figured there must be to achieve the higher speed ratings. I suspected this was true for high speed performance rated tires and now I am curious as to what those manufacturing differences are. Apparently not so much for ST tires. Sure would be of value to gain more factual information from a tire expert or source on this.

I don't know whether to feel I may be over driving at times my 16" 75 MPH rated tires or feel I was driving too conservatively most times with my 65 MPH 15" tires. Maybe this is a factor (in addition to other items normally pointed out) contributing to a higher number of 16" failures.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you read the testing methods used to come up with the speed ratings they are not very stringent. I suspect that the tires would have passed the higher speed tests years ago using these same methods but the tire manufacturers used a more conservative approach for the ratings until it started hurting them in the pocket book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast