Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Midwest

Your post got me to thinkin. Could we put an alternator mounted to the axel of the trailer and have it recharge our battery bank while towing?
    This could be supplemental to solar maybe...….

Brian
    Brian,
    This would shorten your range if used all the time. The torque from operating the alternator would consume energy. Energy would also be recovered from the charging of the battery. But the issue would be losses given off in heat and some electrical inefficiencies. You could however do regen by activating the alternator to supplement braking or grade braking. This entire function could be built into the motors that would be at each wheel of the RV or tow vehicle. Once batteries become more energy dense and can be charged in a very short time, are cheap, with a charging infrastructure, this stuff will take off.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    Where is gas under $2 a gal? I think that an Elec truck is great, and in a few years you will see them able to tow for a few hundred mile per charge. I like my durmax Diesel, but I like the idea of the elec truck. My next truck may be elec.
    I've seen regular in Elyria, OH for $1.89 and today a BP in Howell, MI had regular for $1.99. I like the idea of an electric truck too. But entrepreneurs sometimes oversell the capability looking for investors.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Just because you would rather drive your diesel doesn’t mean an electric truck is a bad idea.

It always cracks me up how people revolt against electric anything. Like all the guys that said Tesla would cars would be pitiful and slow.

I can’t wait to have an electric truck so I can say goodbye to smelly diesel fuel, and the exhaust.
    I can’t sit in traffic with my windows down without choking on my own fumes.

Anyway this thread was just to let folks know about this cool new truck.
    I don't want it to turn into another annoying diesel rules argument.

Thanks for stopping by.
    I see what you did there : "It always cracks me up how people revolt against electric anything."

I think exploring the electric vehicle option is great. I would agree with Jim BabyBober that the development is not there yet. This isn't because I love my diesel
    (I do) but because electric vehicles just aren't mainstream enough. We have a hundred+ years of infrastructure in place to cater to the needs of petroleum powered vehicles. It's going to take a long time to get a similar infrastructure in place to serve electric vehicles. There are over 250 million vehicles registered in the U.S. About 750,000 are electric. The power grid in this country is running at or near capacity. Imagine the amount of energy it would require to run 250 - 300 million electric vehicles. Where would it come from? Burn more coal? Nuclear? Solar? That's a lotta panels! More dams? Hydroelectricity isn't free from impacts either. Here in the NW there is talk of breaching some dams to help restore environment. As far as running an alternator off the trailer axle to recharge an electric truck, well, there ain't no free lunch. It takes energy to turn an alternator, more energy than it can produce. If we could produce as much energy as what was used to generate it, we would solve the world's energy problems. Used as regenerative braking, yes. But this is a way to reclaim some of the energy used for propulsion.

The whole situation is very interesting and fraught with political peril. OOps, I used the "P" word. I'm pretty sure there are those that are part of the status quo who aren't ready to let go of petroleum power just yet.

I'm an old gearhead that for years has thought the sound of a well tuned high performance internal combustion engine was music. At times I still do. As I get older those times are less and less. I would trade the powerful roar of my diesel or the sound of the V6 in my SUV for silent electric power any day. EV's have fewer moving parts and the power characteristics of electric motors are great for towing and provide a fun driving experience but currently I can't refuel one just about anywhere or replenish it with a 5 gallon can.

We like our SUV for hauling our grandson and family around. If I could replace it with one that has great acceleration, doesn't look like it just fell off the nerd wagon and is semi reasonably priced, say under 50k, I'd be down at the dealership tomorrow. That hasn't happened yet. As far as towing, I'm stickin' with the diesel.

Gawd……….I do ramble on! Hey Ed, my diesel doesn't stink. My wife HATES the smell of diesel. I had to take her to the dealership and have her sniff the tailpipe to convince her it didn't have stinky exhaust before she'd let me buy one!

Sorry for the long post.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry , I was thinking about charging the batteries in the camper not the tow vehicle. Someday I will be able to get my thoughts to flow thru my body and out my finger tips to this computer interface gizmo in the right direction so I can clearly convey my mental perspective.( what the heck was all that gibberish)

Brian

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry , I was thinking about charging the batteries in the camper not the tow vehicle. Someday I will be able to get my thoughts to flow thru my body and out my finger tips to this computer interface gizmo in the right direction so I can clearly convey my mental perspective.( what the heck was all that gibberish)

Brian
    Brian, don’t sweat it, there is many a time I swear a different part of my anatomy is involved in the equation then just thought to finger tips... This picture comes to mind but I am guessing it violates forum rules will will probebly have to come down...

Jim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crappy.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	17158
    Last edited by howson; 01-10-2019 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Filtered per forum rules.
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian
    Brian,
    This is a great idea for RV charging. Also if the day comes (believe it will) where trailers carry their own battery to aid in towing, this will also work toward regen functions.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    This picture ... will probably have to come down...
    Edited so no one complains...
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is still almost $3 a gal. down here in the oil country (Odessa/Midland TX.) The highest prices I have seen in my travels. Stuck here for a couple of more months. Happy travels.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Just because you would rather drive your diesel doesn’t mean an electric truck is a bad idea.

It always cracks me up how people revolt against electric anything. Like all the guys that said Tesla would cars would be pitiful and slow.

I can’t wait to have an electric truck so I can say goodbye to smelly diesel fuel, and the exhaust.
    I can’t sit in traffic with my windows down without choking on my own fumes.

Anyway this thread was just to let folks know about this cool new truck.
    I don't want it to turn into another annoying diesel rules argument.
    I personally love alternative fuels and electric vehicles. I just realize our storage mediums aren't there yet to haul heavy loads on a pickup frame via electric.

I'm all for continued research in the field and even government funds for such projects.

I'm also for spending far less on the war pig and using that money to invest in New industries like space mining, elevators, fusion etc..

Oil is something we should be working to rid ourselves of, no different than coal and other fossil fuels. Problem is states have massive economies dependent on these industries and just like the military spending any deflation of such a bubble will be very painful.

As a nation we are good at dishing out pain, not so much taking it
    Last edited by Aridon; 01-10-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someday we will uncover the true nature of matter. At which point we will develop the technologies to directly convert matter to energy and we will effectively have unlimited energy. The downside is that we will also quickly have weapons that make nuclear look like child's play things. Given our obvious genetic tendency to favor tribalism, it is likely very good news that we haven't sorted this out yet. I don't think this will occur anytime soon, as modern physics seems to have group-thinked its way into a corner and is focused on "shrapnel physics" (i.e., blowing things apart in a collider and naming all the bits that are briefly observed) and I doubt any heretics will be able to get their research funded.

I certainly believe that ultimately there will be no need for hydrocarbon combustion.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast