User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought that someone would figure out a ways to harness the energy from overhead electric lines. If they could figure out a way to capture that energy and be able to use it to charge the cars going by underneath to get unlimited mileage.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Atlis Electric Truck

My wife leaned over and asked what this thread was about.
    A minute later she says “if someone invents a vehicle that runs on farts, we’ll have it made.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 01-10-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With electricity there are a lot of cupcakes who think electricity is completely clean. Not only that it comes from the wall and there's an unlimited supply. Sort of like "there's checks in my check book so there's money in the bank" idea. As I said in another posting, every origin of electrical power has detractors and undesirable effects. Some are completely overlooked by the avid proponents or completely overblown by the opponents. In order to tow any significant weight or size, or power a motorhome that has any room, will require massive battery capacity and has been stated, we are not there yet. Additionally electric vehicles is in "favored status" with certain groups and have pushed massive subsidies for that industry. Without them it wouldn't go anywhere. Like ethanol, it only survives by government subsidies and government mandates. Much like bicycles on the highway don't pay their way, electric vehicles don't either. But don't worry, those in government are eyeing how to get them too and it won't be pretty when they do.

Another issue never addressed by proponents is battery manufacture and ultimate disposal for the hazardous wastes. If you have a truck like in the picture and have to replace the batteries you will think the cost of a Cummins 6.7 is cheap by comparison.

I don't oppose electric vehicles and advancement, but I do oppose subsidies which make select (and favored) enormously wealthy at the expense of normal taxpayers. Tesla a prime example. Some solar debacles as another. Hopefully this posting isn't too politically offensive.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    ...I don't oppose electric vehicles and advancement, but I do oppose subsidies which make select (and favored) enormously wealthy at the expense of normal taxpayers. Tesla a prime example. Some solar debacles as another. Hopefully this posting isn't too politically offensive.
    I'm not arguing your point, but rather I just want to point out that there are multiple ways to subsidize things, including looking the other way. I would argue that Texas and North Dakota have subsidized oil & gas development simply by looking the other way and allowing the producers to flare the gas in order to maintain oil production. Any drive through the fields south-east of Lubbock makes it plainly clear (via your nose) that the state is looking the other way with respect to fugitive emissions. This has the same effect, which is to make a few quite wealthy at the expense of everyone else.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    I'm not arguing your point, but rather I just want to point out that there are multiple ways to subsidize things, including looking the other way. I would argue that Texas and North Dakota have subsidized oil & gas development simply by looking the other way and allowing the producers to flare the gas in order to maintain oil production. Any drive through the fields south-east of Lubbock makes it plainly clear (via your nose) that the state is looking the other way with respect to fugitive emissions. This has the same effect, which is to make a few quite wealthy at the expense of everyone else.
    I agree whole heartedly. Markets and the people should decide winners and losers, not government. But that is my pipe dream and won't happen.
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where i am sitting right now, I can see big oil tanks (1,000,000 barrel ) and close to 100 wind mills. But the oil is what is paying me right now.Texas is playing both ends.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Spend a few minutes looking up the Tesla semi truck. They tow 80,000 lbs and still blow the doors off diesels. And have plenty of range.
    When I start seeing them on the road in sustainable numbers I'll pay attention. Right now, I stand by my opinion that electric pickups aren't there yet for towing applications. You can stack a lot more batteries in a semi than you can a pickup. I don't know what you consider "plenty of range" for a semi, but the diesel rigs have the ability to run nearly non-stop with driver teams outside short stops at fueling stations. How long does it take to charge the batteries of an electric semi? And where will they charge them? Maybe OK for local deliveries, I don't know, but I can't see them for long hauling right now.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I bet these same discussions occurred when automobiles were first introduced. I’ll stick with my horses they said.
    I disagree. Once a new technology is shown to work and be more efficient or whatever, people fall right in line. I simply don't think electric pickup technology is anywhere near where it needs to be for towing applications. If there is $$$ to be made with electric pickups that can tow heavy loads over long distances then someone will figure it out eventually and people will jump on board.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    Where is gas under $2 a gal? I think that an Elec truck is great, and in a few years you will see them able to tow for a few hundred mile per charge. I like my durmax Diesel, but I like the idea of the elec truck. My next truck may be elec.
    Gas is $2.08 in Tucson. I would think it has to be under $2 somewhere right now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    Gas is $2.08 in Tucson. I would think it has to be under $2 somewhere right now.
    South Alabama, parts of TN and other states that don't gouge at the pump with taxes and boutique gas. Believe I saw a $1.82 yesterday.

Diesel at a local Walmart $2.39. Next time I go to town I'll take the truck and fill up. Motorhome sitting with a full tank of $3.00 a gallon fuel. Sigh!!
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast