User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I was paying 3.89 a gallon in Washington state this Summer just filled up in Quartzite it was 2.85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the same time it is very cost effective to charge an electric car at this time. But when the infrastructure is in place and battery technology becomes more robust, the demand will rise. This will put a great deal of strain on our aging powerplants and on the electric grid which will result in more powerplants being built. Those kilowatts are going to cost much more than today.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    At the same time it is very cost effective to charge an electric car at this time. But when the infrastructure is in place and battery technology becomes more robust, the demand will rise. This will put a great deal of strain on our aging powerplants and on the electric grid which will result in more powerplants being built. Those kilowatts are going to cost much more than today.
    I think at least in the SW. I think that wind and solar, along with new battery technology, that we will have cleaner power, and it will keep up.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    I think at least in the SW. I think that wind and solar, along with new battery technology, that we will have cleaner power, and it will keep up.
    The wind and solar lobbies have the attention of the MSM, but the real numbers are far less rosy. This is an interesting read for a different perspective. https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/01/...global-energy/

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    The wind and solar lobbies have the attention of the MSM, but the real numbers are far less rosy. This is an interesting read for a different perspective. https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/01/...global-energy/

Rob
    Don't confuse people with facts Rob! I hope somebody can come up with a reliable way to harness wave energy in volume some day. I'm not sure how big the devices would need to be and I realize not all areas offshore are suitable but if we go "green", that would be my choice. Wave motion is 24x7x365 and if the equipment was below the surface, it wouldn't be seen. Plus, my experience as a scuba diver is any man made objects underwater are a huge draw for marine life.

Wind turbines are a blight on the landscape IMO. I was shocked when they installed the first wind turbines on Maui. Such a beautiful place and they stuck those ugly wind mills there. Good grief! At least here in Palm Springs (home to a gazillion wind turbines) the landscape is barren.

What I find really interesting is there is renewed interest - even from some environmentalist- in nuclear energy.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I my observation that it looks like 90% of the wind mills that I drive by, and that I can see out my window right now, are sitting idle, which means they are not producing energy, so how can they be counted in on the world energy. We don't have the batteries to store the energy that they produce, so they sit idle.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The environmentalists found that the windmills kill lots of birds too. I've driven through those windmills near Palm Springs many times and they are ugly as hell, barren landscape or not.

I'm still not seeing much excitement about electric pickups, but I'm sure their time will come. I lived on the central coast of Cal when they built that nuclear plant at Diablo Canyon in the late 1970's. The protesters literally camped out everywhere for months on end and the world was coming to an end. That thing ran for decades without a serious incident I'm aware of and just recently shut down I believe after about 40 years.

I guess my ultimate take on the electric pickups is that if they are better, then prove it and they'll sell like hotcakes.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    What I find really interesting is there is renewed interest - even from some environmentalist- in nuclear energy.
    It makes perfect sense from a technology evolution perspective. We use hydrocarbons along with nuclear power to bridge us for the 75-100 years it will take to get solar and battery technology as a practical universal reality.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got around to actually checking that Atlis truck out. Found myself on a page that was trying to get people to send money so they can actually build a working prototype. Only $203 dollars gets you in...and it looks like from the website, they've nearly met their goal. Not even a working prototype but promising delivery in 2020...WOW

Not sure where they get all the specs they promise but it looks like all they've really got is a new way to charge batteries quicker due to some new cooling techniques. All they've really done is charged a 3kwh battery pack in 12+ minutes, using a level 3 charging station (480v). (A Tesla S uses a 100kwh pack and gets 1/2 a charge in 20 minutes with that level of charging station.) I wonder how large the battery pack would need to be to match the claims they make about range and towing? But...they don't even have a working prototype. I wonder how they can make all those range and loading claims at all. And, it has a 45k base price? WOWsa but then again, until they sell 200k of them, we'll all be participating in discounting them for whoever buys em...and thank you all for helping on the cost of my new high efficiency hvac and appliances...LOL

EV technology has been around a long time, and is improving rapidly, but I still don't see myself towing with electricity in my lifetime. It's taken Tesla 15 years to get where they are now, just finally to the point of not hemorrhaging money but still really not out of the weeds yet. The big mfg's just absorb the losses by jacking the rest of the lineup's costs.

The EV timeline has been accelerating with nearly all the manufacturers now involved and all the public and private money being poured into it, but until a charging infrastructure that works for the majority of us is in place, and I don't doubt it will someday, we will still be using fossil fuels for a long time. Also, there is still a long way to go with the need for some serious advancements in battery technology. Cell recycling is also still far behind, with the costs and returns not yet economically feasible. Currently, re-purposing of the cells is the only thing that keeps some them out of landfills. This will need to rectified before we get too far along or we'll just be trading one problem for another.

As far as nuclear energy...too bad some of the research and technology spent on green power couldn't have been directed at improving the safety and feasibility of nuclear power. It's an efficient way to generate power, especially on a small scale such as would be needed for transportation, if we could figure out how contain it safely and deal with the waste. At least as far as the waste goes, maybe Musk's Mars rocket could have a practical purpose after all...sending all that radioactive waste to Mars...or someplace in space that needs it and is running short on it? LOL
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345