User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The incentives we give folks to build and buy electric vehicles don't bother me much. The number of electric vehicles is quite modest thus far. Besides, the guy with the Tesla probably pays income tax (probably more than me even after dodging as much as he can). He also has to pay fuel taxes when he fills up the 488GTB. There are much greater inequities in modern America so this one barely registers on my meter right now.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    That is pretty cool (isn't almost everything from Tesla?), and I'm sure solar+battery solutions will help in many parts of the country. It looks like I need 4 of them for a total installed cost of $30K plus the solar to feed them. I'd probably get really into all that if I was in "the house" I wanted to keep. I'm certain one of our next three vehicles will be an electric. The next one will probably be the new Toyota RAV4 hybrid.

I do think a per-mile-driven fee paid at annual registration is the easiest and most equitable solution. Apply it to all vehicles and then drop the fuel tax except for any portions that are meant to discourage/compensate-for hydrocarbon combustion.
    And where do you think that electricity comes from. Oh I forgot, the wall. Every source of electricity has detractors be it coal, hydro, solar, wind. Wind has killed more birds than coal could even think of. Solar invades vast terrain where an endangered mouse lives. Hydro blocks rivers where a snail darter has habitat. We all know about coal. Electricity isn't as clean as some pretend. Don't forget NIMBY. Can't put wind farm off Mass coast because it hurts the rich folks view.

I don't see an electric RV anytime in the foreseeable future. Until there is a breakthrough in battery technology that can vastly reduce the size, vastly increase the range, and not cost a fortune, electric RVs are a pipe dream.
    Last edited by chunker; 01-10-2019 at 09:51 PM.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    And where do you think that electricity comes from. Oh I forgot, the wall. Every source of electricity has detractors be it coal, hydro, solar, wind. Wind has killed more birds than coal could even think of. Solar invades vast terrain where an endangered mouse lives. Hydro blocks rivers where a snail darter has habitat. We all know about coal. Electricity isn't as clean as some pretend. Don't forget NIMBY. Can't put wind farm off Mass coast because it hurts the rich folks view.

I don't see an electric RV anytime in the foreseeable future. Until there is a breakthrough in battery technology that can vastly reduce the size, vastly increase the range, and not cost a fortune, electric RVs are a pipe dream.
    Most of my income has come from working in oil & gas, so I am quite aware. I wasn't advocating for fuel taxes, but was attempting to be precise and acknowledge that there may be fractions of those existing taxes that are specifically meant to discourage/compensate-for the combustion of gasoline and diesel fuel. IF that is the case somewhere, those elements of the fuel tax would likely remain.

And to be more precise, electricity does not come from the wall... it comes from the "holes."
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    Most of my income has come from working in oil & gas, so I am quite aware. I wasn't advocating for fuel taxes, but was attempting to be precise and acknowledge that there may be fractions of those existing taxes that are specifically meant to discourage/compensate-for the combustion of gasoline and diesel fuel. IF that is the case somewhere, those elements of the fuel tax would likely remain.

And to be more precise, electricity does not come from the wall... it comes from the "holes."

Not only that but it can leak out. When I was in Germany, Army, a friend rented half a house from a German family. The old lady there insisted that something had to be plugged into every outlet because otherwise the electricity would leak out and pool on the floor. That's why sometimes you would get shocked shuffling your feet across a carpet. Some in this country have about that much understanding of energy and sources of it. Yes you can be assured that certain taxes are meant to punish or promote agendas.

Around 2000 the AZ government decided that natural gas powered vehicles would be a nice thing to promote. A program was put in place to give a buyer, or converter, of a CNG vehicle a huge subsidy, thousands of $$$$ as I recall. Additionally provide at the subsidy to put in a home fueling station at virtually no cost to the homeowner. Those that acted fast made out like bandits with the state of AZ just about giving them a new truck and fueling station. Program very quickly ran out of money, someone actually looked at the program, and was cancelled. As I recall a lot of people got stuck with equipment ordered that didn't get reimbursed. I ended up moving out of state so not sure what the end was finally like. Govt run amuck.
    Last edited by howson; 02-05-2019 at 05:35 AM.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Motorcycle Consumer News (yes, that's a shameless plug for my favorite magazine) does a great job of regularly providing stories on the latest and greatest electric bikes. Even Harley Davidson has a prototype in the pipeline!
    Harley electric is more than just a prototype. Got the Harley website and you can order your bike now. Delivery in a few months!
    I wonder if there are any tax credits for electric bikes..

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    It’s terrific how taxpayers subsidize electric’s with tax rebates and provide free electricity at many locales for recharging. On top of that, the rest of us pay fuel taxes so the electric’s can zoom around on public highways for nothing. Then you get your nose rubbed in by the greenies.
    In time everyone will pay, and pay big. Government is trying to get this technology to move forward and offers incentives. Only thing.....with cheap gas pricing and limited range at this time, it is a tough sell as a families main form of transportation. Commuter car for work, they are great. Once it does take off, who will pay for all the new power plants? Personally, I think its exciting but without the infrastructure to support it, gasoline and diesel will continue to be king on the interstates unless we run them on battery around town and off an energy supplied smart highway for long travel.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All vehicle manufacturers are building electric vehicles (that will have minimal sales volume) . . . because they are forced to, by government regulations. They will also build gas/diesel SUVs and trucks (to make a profit) . . . because this is what most customers really want to buy.

Consider the ethanol boondoggle from about 15 years ago. Vehicle manufacturers were required by governments to build vehicle capable of running on E85 (fuel that is 85% ethanol). This was the "build it and they will come" philosophy. If the vehicles were there, then the fuel companies would follow. How many E85 fuel pumps do you see today?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    All vehicle manufacturers are building electric vehicles (that will have minimal sales volume) . . . because they are forced to, by government regulations. They will also build gas/diesel SUVs and trucks (to make a profit) . . . because this is what most customers really want to buy.

Consider the ethanol boondoggle from about 15 years ago. Vehicle manufacturers were required by governments to build vehicle capable of running on E85 (fuel that is 85% ethanol). This was the "build it and they will come" philosophy. If the vehicles were there, then the fuel companies would follow. How many E85 fuel pumps do you see today?

Rob
    Great point Rob,
    E85 was a huge waist of money. Its just not smart to burn fuel in our cars that is manufactured from our food. The break even point on E85 in order to save money is to buy it no more than 70% the current price of gasoline. I've never found it this cheap. You will get a noticeable increase in torque but when its burned at twice the volume as gasoline, it quickly becomes a gimmick.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Rob
    The ethanol boondoggle continues. It takes far more energy to produce ethanol than it contains, yet we keep putting it into our gas for reduced economy, damaged fuel systems and net energy loss.

There ain't no free lunch. If "green" electric vehicles were to become mainstream the cost of creating "green" energy and distributing it to fuel them will be astronomical. If not using "green" energy I guess we could just throw more "clean" coal at it. Or perhaps a windmill in the backyard?

It will be interesting to see how all this pans out although my guess is I won't be here to see it.
    Last edited by Chiefblueman; 02-04-2019 at 05:02 PM. Reason: darn punctuation!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Electric Vehicles and taxes

Oops.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 02-04-2019 at 11:32 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast