User Tag List

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truck Bed Tool Box

Well I've added a truck bed tool box. I kept debating between a bed fuel/tool box or just tool box. I had pretty much settled on a 50 gal RDS fuel transfer tool box, the one with the pump, if I was going to get one, but just couldn't pull the trigger on $1000+ and freight shipping. I didn't really like the amount of storage space of the tool box portion with these tanks.

Well with input from the wife on this latest cross country @ 2600 mile trip, (without towing) the wife was "ready" to get out of the truck after about 2.5 hours, and the difference between fuel prices for the most part being less than .10/gal between fillups, (except in Indiana and Illinois) "we" didn't think a $1000+ aux fuel tank was a necessity. So figuring 10 miles per gallon on a 32 gallon tank we could go about 250 miles (keeping a little reserve in the tank) before needing refueling. She would want to get out of the truck before that anyway.

Anyway I stumbled across a tool box sale at Tractor Supply, well, I got just the tool box. It was $275 normally $350. Had 3 of them in stock. Its 56" length, 19" width & 19" height. Sets under the tonneau cover just fine and would be out of the way when we go with the 5th wheel. Its a Tractor Supply box but I read where DEEZEE makes them. Well anyway it has huge storage potential.

Wife said we could put a couple 5 gal cans of diesel in the tool box for emergencies (box is vented) but I still don't like that idea. Texas sun gets hot! I could keep a metal 5 gallon diesel can outside the box strapped in the bed next to the tailgate and under the 5th wheel overhang of the truck bed if needs be. Guess it wouldn't be any different than having 50 gallons of diesel fuel in the bed of the truck.

Well see how it works out. The box will fit in my older 2002 Dodge 2500 that my son wants, if just the tool box doesn't work out I'll give it to him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1811.jpg   IMG_1813.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 01-09-2019 at 01:18 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve

Good timing , I have been thinking of adding one in my truck. I cut down one I had that sits on the bed rails to fit down inside the bed, good idea but my aluminum welding skills on this thin stuff is not the best. So I have been searching again, looking for one less than 19" wide and have found some but not at local stores. I do like this one you got though.

Brian

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not purchased an in bed tool box such as yours but, like you, I passed on an auxiliary fuel tank. Just could’t justify it for the cost. To your point we are always stopping for a break anyway so having a range of 700-800 miles just doesn’t matter. I do keep a couple of cans of diesel in the bed in case I need it.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking on Amazon originally and they have Dee Zee tool boxes that look almost identical to the one I bought for the same price or a little bit lower and I think free shipping. In my case the local Tractor Supply had these in stock as well as a smaller 48" one. Its really light weight all aluminum so was easy to hike it up in the bed. Just buy it and go no shipping to fool with.
    The wife said we should get the larger 56" one because when we go full time we may need more storage space and we can keep some of the weight out of the RV.

Its pretty well made for a tractor supply brand, lid opens automatically with either pull latch handle and one latch has the key lock. Was just going through a trial loading in the shop to see how much I could get in there. The smaller totes we bought at WallyWorld fit right in the bottom. Right now with our Imagine I can get some of the tongue weight off but still have enough to stop the wags. When we get our 5er, most likely the 3350RL, storage wont be so much of a problem but thats when we will fulltime.

I am looking at these diesel cans on Amazon to carry in the truck bed for emergencies. I've got the yellow plastic cans that I use around the shop for diesel torpedo heaters but those wouldn't be as safe as the metal ones while traveling. The wife said that who knows, maybe we get a generator someday, we can use the cans for that. Doubtful, cause most of the summer months will be staying in one place up where the kids live, then wintering down on the Texas coast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails diesel cans.jpg  
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bit the bullet and paid big bucks for a Highway Products low profile box a few years ago. It's 50 or so inches wide so leaves a bit of usable space on each side for 1 gal fluid jugs, fire ext, etc. Regardless of cost, I just couldn't be without a box of some sort for my chainsaw, tool kit(s), jumper cables, compressor, inverter, bottle jack.. My trucks have always been 8' bed, even before I got a 5'er, so leaves space between hitch and box and allows an ATV to be loaded and tailgate closed.

In my new truck I installed the box with nutserts (aka: rivet nuts) so it screws into those instead of self-tappers that I just don't like. Takes a bit longer but more secure IMO. You don't need the fancy tool; most nutsert kits will come with a mini tool and all you need is a 7/16 box wrench and 9/16 socket on a 3/8 drive impact to secure them. I use 7/16-20 size and corresponding SS allen head screws. I've used the mini-tool for years with success. But then most of you probably already know all this..

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...=1ZCNDB4UAZM95

Took a 20 minute search to find the tool I have. Nothing on Amazon but this is the one.
    https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09331620
    Last edited by ExtremeDuty; 01-10-2019 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Add
    Gary & Erin + Kitty the '85# Border Collie/Lab
    2015 303RLS
    2018 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7PSD (1st Ford coming from '05 Duramax)
    http://www.kleenoilusa.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did put the RDS 51 gallon aux tank/tool box in with the gravity feed. Lets me choose where and how much to pay for diesel. Happy I did the install. My understanding they are not authorized with gasoline, the gravity feed.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to know where I can purchase the Transfer Flow 50 gallon in bed tank that automatically transfers fuel as you drive or something similar?
    I already have the RDS 45 Gallon transfer tank which is gravity fed looking to do away with gravity fed. Any help would be appriciated
    Thanks Dewey

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dewey0275 View Post
    I would like to know where I can purchase the Transfer Flow 50 gallon in bed tank that automatically transfers fuel as you drive or something similar?
    I already have the RDS 45 Gallon transfer tank which is gravity fed looking to do away with gravity fed. Any help would be appriciated
    Thanks Dewey
    Go to their web page and look up dealers, or Google. Same for converting your existing tank. There are automatic fuel transfer kits out there. Transfer flow has them on their web page.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar