User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Post Hacking Tractors

Interesting video I found on Youtube about hacking tractors".

I can TOTALLY see Donald aka "JohnDeerFarmer" doing this!

Video Link

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-01-09 20_43_57-Window.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	418.7 KB 
ID:	17155
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Interesting video I found on Youtube about hacking tractors".

I can TOTALLY see Donald aka "JohnDeerFarmer" doing this!

Video Link

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-01-09 20_43_57-Window.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	418.7 KB 
ID:	17155
    You’ve got the same issue with your truck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not really hacking though. Some repairs require changes to the operating parameters of the equipment. Even replacing a factory part with the identical factory part can require software changes, and Deere doesn't want to let people have access to the tools to do that. Forces you to go the dealer for repairs you might be more knowledgeable about than they are.

Imagine if you had to hook up a computer with proprietary software to your converter to allow it to work after changing the battery.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    It's not really hacking though. Some repairs require changes to the operating parameters of the equipment. Even replacing a factory part with the identical factory part can require software changes, and Deere doesn't want to let people have access to the tools to do that. Forces you to go the dealer for repairs you might be more knowledgeable about than they are.

Imagine if you had to hook up a computer with proprietary software to your converter to allow it to work after changing the battery.
    and
    You do have to hook up a computer to your car or truck if you replace your battery. They have no voltage regulators anymore and they're controlled by a computer now. The computer senses the value and charge of the battery and tells it how much voltage to put out. After replacing the battery if you don't tell the computer that you did replace the battery it will keep telling the alternator to keep putting out a high voltage and end up burning up the new battery.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about emissions rated engines, people buying a 200hp tractor with a certified engine for that class and then upping it to 425hp, the engine can handle it but is not certified for that.

Dealer and tech can get a daily fine if they are caught bypassing those controls.

If you can't dodge it... Ram it
    If you cant dodge it, RAM it.:jaw:

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scan tools are available for farm equipment but it would not be cheap. Also the scan tool does not necessarily point directly to the bad part or circuit. You would also need the documentation to go along with what codes are present to follow the diagnostic procedure. This is becoming more difficult for all products including auto where there can be over fifty modules on an application.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Scan tools are available for farm equipment but it would not be cheap. Also the scan tool does not necessarily point directly to the bad part or circuit. You would also need the documentation to go along with what codes are present to follow the diagnostic procedure. This is becoming more difficult for all products including auto where there can be over fifty modules on an application.
    You are so right about scanners telling you exactly whats wrong. I have heard from too many people that they were going to get a scanner so they can diagnose their cars/trucks. Problem is that when they tell you something is bad that may not be true. That part may not be working but is it because it is bad or is it because something else is bad and it's not getting the right signal for it to work. Taking for gospel what a scanner says can lead into the game of replacing parts one after another. All a scanner does is put you in the area where the problem is. That does make it easier to find out what's wrong knowing where to look. I think most people that get their own scanner and end up replacing multiple parts believe they were all bad but that may not be the case.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post

My 2015 VW does that, if the battery needs to be changed, has to be reprogrammed. The whole car is networked.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to have a 1942 Power Horse tractor. It did not have a steering wheel. It steered using horse rains (sp?). It steered like a bulldozer by slowing/stopping a set of jeep tires on one side. You could turn so fast it would throw you out of the seat. Sold it for $10,500 and had about 20 folks call and offer two times that but I had already made the deal. I bought it for $1,000 so I did OK. I miss it.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    I use to have a 1942 Power Horse tractor. It did not have a steering wheel. It steered using horse rains (sp?). It steered like a bulldozer by slowing/stopping a set of jeep tires on one side. You could turn so fast it would throw you out of the seat. Sold it for $10,500 and had about 20 folks call and offer two times that but I had already made the deal. I bought it for $1,000 so I did OK. I miss it.
    I didn’t believe you so I had to Google it.
    That is the weirdest thing I’ve ever heard of. Here’s pics for any other non-believers.

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast