User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arch on Utah Hwy 12 - near Bryce Canyon NP

We are planning a trip through Utah, Arizona and New Mexico this May/June. One of the RV parks I am considering is Bryce Canyon Pines Campground which is located on UT Hwy 12. There are two arches in Red Canyon on Hwy 12, a short distance from Hwy 89, that are labeled 13' 6". We have a Solitude which we measure at 13' 4.5". This is closer than we prefer. Has anyone taken a Solitude or Momentum through the arches? Do you know where the 13' 6" is measured from? Is it over on the shoulder, so if we stay to the center, we should be OK?

Thanks
    Karen
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took our Momentum (13' 6") through there last spring headed to Ruby's RV park by Bryce. I only remember one arch. I am impressed you figured this out before your trip. How did you do that? My first knowledge of a low clearance issue was seeing the warning sign about a mile before the arch. This resulted in in a quick stop in a less than acceptable location and a hike up to the Forest Service visitor center to figure out some information. What a pain.

I quickly discovered there was no height issue. I don't understand the reasoning behind the low clearance warning. It is an arch and at the center it must be around 18 feet high. The low clearance marker is posted on each side which appeared to me to be at the white line marked on the highway or possibly even to the right of it.

Bottom line, it is no problem. You tallest height is at your air conditioners which is in the center of your trailer. It is impossible to get the middle of a trailer over far enough right to get under the low spot.

Enjoy your time there. The area is very beautiful. Be sure to do some of the hikes down into Bryce Canyon NP. We will most likely go back there this year again on our way back home.
    Lyle & Cathy plus Boomer (English Lab)

2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2016 RAM 3500 DRW Laramie Limited 4X4
    6.7 Cummins with Aisin Transmission

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ Thanks for that info. We will be traveling through there in mid-March. Never realize that there may be a potential problem. CoChris almost made my heart skip. I too have a 376TH.

I went on maps and did a street view of photos. Yes it does have a big (high) arch. Also pictures of commercial bus going thru and a diesel pusher Class A going through. All is good.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. You made me feel much better. And I'm sure Chris too.
    I found it marked on RV Parky app. This app seems pretty good at showing low clearances, but sometimes you have to zoom way in to figure out what it is indicating. (like a low clearance on an interstate that is really for an underpass under the highway)
    I double checked it on Google Maps and saw the 13'6" sign via street view. I figured that the 13' 6" was probably way over on the shoulder and the lowest point on both arches (they are one right after the other), but knowing someone with a tall rig has gone through with no issues makes me feel much better.

Thanks again
    Karen
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We often go through there with our Reflection 303RLS with front AC...no problem.

Bryce Canyon Pines is a nice campground, good laundry facilities, Bryce NP is crowded and (IMO) overrated. Lots of good drives and hikes everywhere in the area.

We spend 3 or 4 weeks boondocking there in the summer to escape the heat at Lake Powell.

Enjoy!!!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scousers View Post
    We often go through there with our Reflection 303RLS with front AC...no problem.

Bryce Canyon Pines is a nice campground, good laundry facilities, Bryce NP is crowded and (IMO) overrated. Lots of good drives and hikes everywhere in the area.

We spend 3 or 4 weeks boondocking there in the summer to escape the heat at Lake Powell.

Enjoy!!!
    Good to see this thread as we are planning a family trip to Arches, Zion, and Bryce in early-mid April. Is this the link to the campground along with restaurant, and lodge ?

Forgot the link.....here it is: https://www.brycecanyonmotel.com/bryce-campgrounds/

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Good to see this thread as we are planning a family trip to Arches, Zion, and Bryce in early-mid April. Is this the link to the campground along with restaurant, and lodge ?

Forgot the link.....here it is: https://www.brycecanyonmotel.com/bryce-campgrounds/

Dan

I'm jealous... I'm constrained by the school schedule so I can't head that way until everyone else does too (June). I love the area.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that is the campground, it and the motel are about a mile apart on opposite sides of the road