User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    What are you talking about?

Are you saying you can’t put FLA in the same compartment with an inverter and solar controller?
    Only if the inverter and solar controller are "ignition protected". I don't think anyone makes an inverter validated for ignition protected. (either FLA or AGM batteries can vent hydrogen)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you talking about?

Are you saying you can’t put FLA in the same compartment with an inverter and solar controller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes that is what all solar people say. There is a safety reason. Flooded batteries give off Hydrogen sulfide, which is very explosive. It will also crowd all the electronics. AGM's and Lithium's do not vent off gasses, that is why they can be in the same compartment.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Battle Born Lithium

Well obviously you’d put the FLA in a container of some sort and run a vent outside, but I’ve seen numerous examples of solar setups with FLA in the same compartment as the inverter and everything else, since the inverter needs to be as close as possible to the batteries.

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RVs don't really have any rules for this. Boats are different. To get insurance, your boat must pass an inspection by an independent surveyor who will use ABYC requirements as the reference. FLA and AGM batteries will both give off hydrogen gas. FLA as part of normal charging and AGM only if over charged. See https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...934#post193934 for further discussion on this. Neither type of battery can be in the same compartment as an inverter . . . unless someone makes an "ignition protected" inverter. This is why your OEM battery on any newer RV is in a vented box.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Battle Born Lithium

It wouldn't be difficult to create a completely sealed and vented container to house FLA's
    in order to mount them next to or in very close proximity to an inverter.
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 01-29-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Battle Born Lithium

Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    ...I can't quite figure out which (if any) of the Magnums have this feature. (The Victron's are e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e!)
    Victron and Magnum are both considered “high-end” and priced accordingly. I paid $1900 for my Magnum Hybrid, but I believe you can find them for about $1700 if you shop around.
    One of the reasons I chose this model is the fact that it has a 125 amp charger built into it. I think they also make a 4000 watt Hybrid now as well.
    The model number of mine is MSH3012.

Someone asked above... Brian Boone was my installer and one thing that stands out is the massive cables. I forget what gauge it is but it’s as big as your thumb!

I think it’s 2 gauge welding cable.

Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 01-29-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Victron and Magnum are both considered “high-end” and priced accordingly. I paid $1900 for my Magnum Hybrid, but I believe you can find them for about $1700 if you shop around. Brian Boone was my installer...
    As I read and learn more about these components the quality of what Brian installed in your trailer becomes evident. It is a long-term investment for a boondocking full-timer. Which, I believe, defines your circumstance (at least in RV terms). You did it right!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... Brian Boone was my installer and one thing that stands out is the massive cables. I forget what gauge it is but it’s as big as your thumb!

I think it’s 2 gauge welding cable.
    Could be even larger gauge.
    Inverter cables are usually the largest b/c of the high amps.

I put 4/0 on my inverter to DC busbar. 2/0 for the batteries. 4 Awg for the Converter to DC busbar. Left the Converter to DC Panel at 6 Awg.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian Boone is a good installer. He did our first half- batteries, inverter, subpanel. We added solar later.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    RVs don't really have any rules for this. Boats are different. To get insurance, your boat must pass an inspection by an independent surveyor who will use ABYC requirements as the reference. FLA and AGM batteries will both give off hydrogen gas. FLA as part of normal charging and AGM only if over charged. See https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...934#post193934 for further discussion on this. Neither type of battery can be in the same compartment as an inverter . . . unless someone makes an "ignition protected" inverter. This is why your OEM battery on any newer RV is in a vented box.

Rob
    Many auto manufacturers are installing AGM batteries in the trunks of cars that also occupy the same space as many modules and electrical components. Modules tend to be potted but I doubt that everything in this environment is explosion proof which would be strictly controlled in boats. Charging is critical for an AGM type battery to prevent venting which is also possible on Lithium batteries if they are not being charged properly. FLA batteries are made to vent during charging as well as discharging.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast