Thread: Battle Born Lithium

Lord of the flies DaveMatthewsBand's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stimpack View Post
    I want to go total solar on my RV and with Lithium batteries, but dang no price drops in years on these things.
    Is there anything out there better or cheaper with same specs?
    Battle Born is pretty much the Honda of batteries and they back it up with a 10 year warranty.
    There are other Lithium battery brands besides Battle Born, with similar outputs, sizes, weights and prices but not as good of a warranty.
    BB also has legendary customer support and tech support and a built in Battery Management System (BMS) second to none, that is very advanced, and protects each battery in much the way a good Progressive Industries EMS protects your RV from various electrical issues.
    You get what you pay for. A lot of lithium batteries that are available don't have any BMS at all, you have to build one yourself.

If you're on a tight budget, some people use Tesla batteries which are approximately half the cost per amp hour and some might argue better because they are higher voltage.
    You can go that route if you're fine using batteries that came from a wrecked car and have zero warranty, and no BMS.
    There are a few websites that talk about using those as an option.
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 01-12-2019 at 10:48 PM.
    -----------------------------------
    F250 4x4 Diesel
    Reflection 150 Series 220RK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to But I am thinking about going with some China brands. Some of them are half the price of the US brands. The only thing is that saying you get what you pay for keeps stopping me.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Battle Born is pretty much the Honda of batteries and they back it up with a 10 year warranty.
    There are other Lithium battery brands besides Battle Born, with similar outputs, sizes, weights and prices but not as good of a warranty.
    BB also has legendary customer support and tech support and a built in Battery Management System (BMS) second to none, that is very advanced, and protects each battery in much the way a good Progressive Industries EMS protects your RV from various electrical issues.
    You get what you pay for. A lot of lithium batteries that are available don't have any BMS at all, you have to build one yourself.

If you're on a tight budget, some people use Tesla batteries which are approximately half the cost per amp hour and some might argue better because they are higher voltage.
    You can go that route if you're fine using batteries that came from a wrecked car and have zero warranty, and no BMS.
    There are a few websites that talk about using those as an option.
    The new Trojan Trillium looks to have a higher cycle life but I've not yet received their warranty or pricing on their 100 ah battery.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Lord of the flies DaveMatthewsBand's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    The new Trojan Trillium looks to have a higher cycle life but I've not yet received their warranty or pricing on their 100 ah battery.
    Those are another option.
    From what I can see on Trojanís website theyíre the same life cycle, up to 5,000, cost about $100 more and do have a BMS but they didnít bother publishing any warranty information on their website.
    If they end up matching BBís warranty, they would be competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----------------------------------
    F250 4x4 Diesel
    Reflection 150 Series 220RK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Those are another option.
    From what I can see on Trojan’s website they’re the same life cycle, up to 5,000, cost about $100 more and do have a BMS but they didn’t bother publishing any warranty information on their website.
    If they end up matching BB’s warranty, they would be competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ed,
    I compared their charts where Trojan is beating them out by around 1K cycles but based on usage this is an estimate anyway. I wrote them and they told me they have not yet released the warranty, and of course would not discuss cell suppliers.
    There are tradeoffs with the auto batteries being A grade but without a warranty and consumer grade B cells which from what I see is all we can get in an assembled pack. Not downing what's available but if a battery could be sourced with automotive grade cells (Japan) the battery would no doubt cost much more but would also have a much higher robustness, cycle count and life expectancy.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    They also do not say where they are made. They say Designed and engineered in USA by trojan.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    They also do not say where they are made. They say Designed and engineered in USA by trojan.
    Both are assembled in the USA with most all certainty with Chinese sourced cells. Each company most likely has some input in what they are looking for with a chosen cell, but while these are good, they are not automotive grade cells. And we may never see automotive cells used in this market. Since the Lithium application in RVs is just taking off, we will learn much more in how these warranties are honored which will take some time. I've been waiting for Trojan to step up but its taking them awhile for the warranty information to become public.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB