User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    If you were towing 15 miles to a local state park and the topography was Arkansas, you'd be okay with a gas tow vehicle @ 10K lbs.
    That's just a ridiculous statement. I've been hauling 10K 5ers with 6.0 gassers for 15 years over mountain passes in the Adirondacks in NY, Green Mtns in Vermont, White Mtns in NH and so on. The only difference between the Mtns out west is they are higher. Not steeper grades. Let's be real. Yes, a diesel will do it "better", if better is faster. But that also comes at a cost. The added initial cost of a diesel truck is $10k-$12k more. Diesel fuel cost 50-75 cents/gallon more. I can run my gasser for a long long time berfore I recover that coin. Then you have the whole DEF nightmare with the diesel. So if you have very deep pockets go ahead and go diesel. They do haul better in many respects. But please don't say the gasser is not a viable alternative. It's simply not true. If you are hauling over 12k camper, it's probably time to go diesel. Hey, I drive a semi for a living. I know the benefits of diesel, but gassers are a very viable cost/effective way to get into 8k to 12k 5ers for those who have a tigher budget. I LOVE my gasser!
    Neil and Sheila
    2018 Reflection 303RLS - 2nd A/C
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Double Cab, Short Box

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guzinta View Post
    That's just a ridiculous statement. I've been hauling 10K 5ers with 6.0 gassers for 15 years over mountain passes in the Adirondacks in NY, Green Mtns in Vermont, White Mtns in NH and so on. The only difference between the Mtns out west is they are higher. Not steeper grades. Let's be real. Yes, a diesel will do it "better", if better is faster. But that also comes at a cost. The added initial cost of a diesel truck is $10k-$12k more. Diesel fuel cost 50-75 cents/gallon more. I can run my gasser for a long long time berfore I recover that coin. Then you have the whole DEF nightmare with the diesel. So if you have very deep pockets go ahead and go diesel. They do haul better in many respects. But please don't say the gasser is not a viable alternative. It's simply not true. If you are hauling over 12k camper, it's probably time to go diesel. Hey, I drive a semi for a living. I know the benefits of diesel, but gassers are a very viable cost/effective way to get into 8k to 12k 5ers for those who have a tighter budget. I LOVE my gasser!
    I agree that diesels do make the drive easier and have their benefits over gas such as the exhaust brake. But like you said there are circumstances that getting the diesel for some folks just doesn't make sense. Gasser's have been used for many years and get the job done quite well. With the new technology always coming out (like the Ford Eco-boost) and the rest now coming out with better Gasser's for towing. So don't be concerned about using the Gasser it can work and work well. In fact with the difference in weight you will get better pin weight capability with the Gasser over the diesel.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I agree that diesels do make the drive easier and have their benefits over gas such as the exhaust brake. But like you said there are circumstances that getting the diesel for some folks just doesn't make sense. Gasser's have been used for many years and get the job done quite well. With the new technology always coming out (like the Ford Eco-boost) and the rest now coming out with better Gasser's for towing. So don't be concerned about using the Gasser it can work and work well. In fact with the difference in weight you will get better pin weight capability with the Gasser over the diesel.
    Ya engine brakes are awesome, as is the low end torque etc.. When I'm running my day job with an 80k rig over a mtn pass that jake is wonderful...until that pass becomes ice and snow. You have to have the skill to get safely down the mountain without the jake. If you overheat the service brakes, well you're toast. Sometimes slower is better! The same principles apply regardless of what you tow. And you are also so right about the newer gas engines. I had a 2000 2500HD with a 6.0 and now have the 2015 2500HD with a 6.0. They have come a long long way in power and towing stability. Like I said in another post, i LOVE my 2500HD gasser!

Cheers!
    Neil and Sheila

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guzinta View Post
    Hmmm. My 303 is 9385 lbs uvw , pin weight 1785. My 2500HD gaser is rated just shy of 2800 lbs payload with plenty to spare in gross. This setup works well. You wouldn’t want a 2500 diesel, though, because your payload drops several hundred lbs. If I was in the market for a new truck it would be a one ton diesel. YMMV
    Concur with the one ton diesel. Our F250 with the 6.7 diesel cuts in to our payload. Pin weight for our 303 loaded is 2100#. 5th wheel is at 10,000#.

When we are ready to trade, we will go to a 1 ton
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Man without a tow vehicle

If you buy used like I do, the difference between a gas or diesel Superduty is only about 4 grand. I’ll take it. Resale value on a gas 3/4 or 1 ton is crap, most people want a diesel in their heavy duty trucks.
    Having double the torque is worth $4k.
    An exhaust brake (not an engine brake) for going down long steep hills saves my truck and trailer brakes, that’s saved money too. Fuel costs slightly more but my mileage is far better than a gas Superduty, so that’s a wash. I had an F150 for several years that was constantly in the shop. This used Superduty diesel has never been in the shop, again worth the $4k.

Slow is boring, I wanna get there.
    I do 70 to 75 up hill.

But like I’ve said in other posts, as soon as someone builds an all-electric truck I’m done with diesel!

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 01-13-2019 at 11:24 AM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you buy used or plan to keep your newer diesel truck past the warranty period, be prepared to spend a few thousand dollars maintaining the exhaust emissions control system. The DPF is not designed to last forever. Once it is full of ash, it needs to be replaced. DEF is water based and the tank, pump and warming elements will go through many freeze/thaw cycles if you live in a northern climate. Of course, if you live in a jurisdiction that does not inspect for emission systems, you can have these deleted . . . but, that is not inexpensive either. And, this may impact your resale value if the emission control system is "missing".

Like others on this thread, I tow a 10,000 lb 5th wheel with a gasoline engine. I have never encountered a grade (up or down) where this engine could not keep up with traffic or handle the rated GCWR of truck and trailer. We tow back and forth through the Appalachians every year. I don't mind listening to the transmission downshift or the turbos kick in . . . as they are designed to do.

Lots of threads on this topic on this site alone. This is just one of the "agree to disagree" topics. There is no right or wrong answer. I do take exception when the diesel supporters infer or state outright that a gasoline engine can't get the job done. That is just not true.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 01-13-2019 at 04:06 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diesel vs Gas. I thought I bought my last vehicle when I bought my 2016 Nissan Titan XD diesel new. It was plenty of truck to tow my 5,500 lb boat. Then life got in the way, and a 2016 313RLTS fell out of the sky and landed in my driveway. Fortunately the Titan was still able to handle it.

The Titan was my first diesel - in fact my first truck. I learned a great deal from that truck. I learned that at some point in time there was an RV in my future that the Titan wasn't going to be able to pull. I also learned that NOTHING pulls like a diesel. We went from 34' elevation here in Florida up to over 3,000' elevation in Georgia with the 313RLTS weighing in - at the scales - at 10,455 lbs. All of the weight numbers were right at the "sticker". The diesel pulled it. I do not believe that if I had purchased the gasser version of the Titan I would have been able to do that which means I wouldn't have been able to buy the 313RLTS...

Then the wife and I decided to sell everything and get a 2nd RV - a great big honkin' 5th wheel that's going to weigh over 22,000 lbs. So rather than do the mental "exercise" of Gas vs. Diesel, 3/4 vs 1 ton, Ford vs. Chevy, etc., etc, etc, we decided to pay once, cry once.

So Blondie and I bought the F350 dually in my signature. I'm done buying trucks. This one had to be my last truck, so now I no longer have to worry about my next RV, or my next boat, or my next... whatever. This truck will do it.

My advice - if you're even talkin' about THINKIN' about talkin' about getting a truck - get the 1-ton and enjoy the camping.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2012 Chevy 6.0 was a dog compared to the 2004 that I had, so I do not know what they are like today. My brother bought a new Ford 6.2 last year F250, and he is impressed with the towing and driving. However he has not towed anything over 10000#, maybe 7000#. But from my reading the Ford is a little better.( I know this may come to a surprise to some).
    The gas will do the job most of the time , but it will ultimately be your decision on how the truck is going to be used. The diesel is nice, I drive mine everyday. If I was not towing 11000# I would have a gas truck , at least for less than 10000#.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    The Titan was my first diesel - in fact my first truck. I learned a great deal from that truck. I learned that at some point in time there was an RV in my future that the Titan wasn't going to be able to pull. I also learned that NOTHING pulls like a diesel. We went from 34' elevation here in Florida up to over 3,000' elevation in Georgia with the 313RLTS weighing in - at the scales - at 10,455 lbs. All of the weight numbers were right at the "sticker". The diesel pulled it. I do not believe that if I had purchased the gasser version of the Titan I would have been able to do that which means I wouldn't have been able to buy the 313RLTS...
    Seriously? What are the specs on Nissan's gas version of that truck? I admit I know nothing about Nissan TVs, but I know plenty about Chevy. The Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gassers have more towing capacity, ie payload, than the same truck in a diesel. Jeeeesh! Wouldn't do it?? I know my truck will pull that load all day, anywhere. It does the job and it does it well! Sure, diesels are great and do haul better, especially once you get into the >12k range. That's great. But why dis a perfectly good option??

Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    Then the wife and I decided to sell everything and get a 2nd RV - a great big honkin' 5th wheel that's going to weigh over 22,000 lbs. So rather than do the mental "exercise" of Gas vs. Diesel, 3/4 vs 1 ton, Ford vs. Chevy, etc., etc, etc, we decided to pay once, cry once.

So Blondie and I bought the F350 dually in my signature. I'm done buying trucks. This one had to be my last truck, so now I no longer have to worry about my next RV, or my next boat, or my next... whatever. This truck will do it.

My advice - if you're even talkin' about THINKIN' about talkin' about getting a truck - get the 1-ton and enjoy the camping.
    Well ya. 22,000 lbs! Of course one ton dually diesel is in order. Completely different animal than you 313. If the OP has any inkling of going huge in the future, "the buy once, cry once" is great advice. For me, my frame will rust out before the drive train ever does with all the salt brine they dump on the roads up here. Yes, my truck is my daily driver and I have no plans of getting a larger 5er. 303 is perfect for us and were are grateful to have been able to swing it. Sorry if I seem to come on strong on this topic, but there sure seems to be quite a bias against all trucks not diesel one ton. Maybe I just need to stay off the towing threads..
    Last edited by Guzinta; 01-13-2019 at 05:31 PM.
    Neil and Sheila

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    My 2012 Chevy 6.0 was a dog compared to the 2004 that I had, so I do not know what they are like today. My brother bought a new Ford 6.2 last year F250, and he is impressed with the towing and driving. However he has not towed anything over 10000#, maybe 7000#. But from my reading the Ford is a little better.( I know this may come to a surprise to some).
    The gas will do the job most of the time , but it will ultimately be your decision on how the truck is going to be used. The diesel is nice, I drive mine everyday. If I was not towing 11000# I would have a gas truck , at least for less than 10000#.

Brian
    Intersting that your 2012 wasn't cutting it. My 2015 runs circles around our prior 2000... both 6.0
    Neil and Sheila

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast