User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As expensive as these new high tech trucks are spending $2k on an extended warranty might be "warranted".
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we were ever to upgrade to a trailer that required a dually I would consider the F450. A big reason would be the wide track front end on the F450. You can turn circles inside the circles of the F350.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started a maelstrom......
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guzinta View Post
    Sorry if I seem to come on strong on this topic, but there sure seems to be quite a bias against all trucks not diesel one ton. Maybe I just need to stay off the towing threads..
    Neil . . . no worries . . . there are others on this forum who are on the same page that you are on. A gasoline engine is just fine for a TT/5th up to about 10,000 lbs. Some of the diesel guys with much bigger trailers forget this when they offer advice . . . thinking about their own trailers.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously? What are the specs on Nissan's gas version of that truck? I admit I know nothing about Nissan TVs, but I know plenty about Chevy. The Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gassers have more towing capacity, ie payload, than the same truck in a diesel. Jeeeesh! Wouldn't do it?? I know my truck will pull that load all day, anywhere. It does the job and it does it well! Sure, diesels are great and do haul better, especially once you get into the >12k range. That's great.
    The Nissan gasser is a 5/8 ton (bigger than a 1/2ton, smaller than a 3/4 ton). The diesel puts out 555 ft. lbs of torque, the gasser 394. Towing capacity on the gasser is 1,000 lbs less than the diesel.

But why dis a perfectly good option??
    Don't understand why you think I'm dissing the gasser. Just saying that not knowing the future, I think if I had it to do all over again, I would have gone straight to the diesel dually.
    Last edited by jim1521; 01-13-2019 at 08:11 PM.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what gets lost in all these gas vs diesel debates is the difference in the towing experience. To me that's more important than the performance differences between gas and diesel. I don't really care if I can tow 16,000lbs up hills at 80mph. What matters to me is that I can tow up hills at the speed limit at a peaceful 1,800rpms with temps that don't budge.

Modern gas engines can tow very heavy loads. But, the engine noise, high RPM's and slower speeds on steep inclines are nerve wracking for many - including me. I have enough to worry about while towing a 5th wheel without worrying if the engine is going to explode out of the hood. Yes, the drivetrains are engineered for the high rpm's but knowing that doesn't take away the stress - for me. I don't like the sound of an engine near redline for extended periods of time while climbing the long grades I encounter out west.

If somebody spends years or decades towing heavy trailers with gas trucks then switches to a diesel, they won't go back because the driving experience is strikingly different. This difference in the towing experience along with the performance differences is what makes people so passionate about their diesels.

I would much rather have a SRW gas truck that fits in my garage and doesn't have an injector pump that might fail and cause $10k worth of damage but I know from my years of towing heavy loads that I would stress out while towing my 5th wheel. I don't need more stress. I retired so I would have less stress. My diesel truck lowers my stress and puts a smile on my face while climbing hills and that's why I own it. I can climb long steep grades with heavy loads at the speed limit with low cabin noise, stable operating temps and low blood pressure. It works for me.

The people towing heavy with gas trucks or those who tow with trucks over their payload rating probably just handle stress better than I do :-)
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    The Nissan gasser is a 5/8 ton (bigger than a 1/2ton, smaller than a 3/4 ton). The diesel puts out 555 ft. lbs of torque, the gasser 394. Towing capacity on the gasser is 1,000 lbs less than the diesel

Don't understand why you think I'm dissing the gasser. Just saying that not knowing the future, I think if I had it to do all over again, I would have gone straight to the diesel dually.
    Jim. Please accept my apologies. I made the assumption that like US mfg trucks, the Nissan gasser would have more capacity because of the added weight of the diesel. That is why I thought it was another shot at the gassers at large. However there seems to be several folk that believe gas powered trucks are pretty much useless. I’m glad you’re not one of them. Cheers..
    Neil and Sheila
    2018 Reflection 303RLS - 2nd A/C
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Double Cab, Short Box

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post

The people towing heavy with gas trucks or those who tow with trucks over their payload rating probably just handle stress better than I do :-)
    Yes the diesel runs at lower rpm with more torque and hp and therefore less stressful. What helps reduce the stress hauling with the gasser is to get your foot out of the accelerator a little. Just because it will take it doesn’t mean you have to drive it maxed out. Just back out of it a bit. Someday maybe I’ll be able to afford going diesel. Until then I’m very happy with what I’ve got and I get to go camping. After all that’s the goal. Nice post bertschb
    Neil and Sheila
    2018 Reflection 303RLS - 2nd A/C
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Double Cab, Short Box

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neil, no worries.

I'm not a gearhead by any stretch of the imagination. I have no brand loyalty; I look at selecting a truck the same way I do with any other tool. I'm a big believer in the phrase "If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." A hammer will cut glass, but a glass cutter will do a better job. When I buy a tool, I don't buy the smallest, cheapest one that is out there. Generally if I've got to make an investment, I'm going to try and look "over the horizon" to see if I can anticipate any other requirements beyond the initial one.

In the case of my boat, I only needed to tow 5,500 lbs. I went with the Titan diesel though because I wanted to have a margin - "just in case". At that time I had ZERO interest in buying an RV so an F150 would have worked fine for me. Thank God I built in some "just in case" margin into my purchase or else we quite frankly would have never even entertained the thought of an owning an RV. We would have been limited to a smaller trailer, without even the option of buying a bigger rig. Having the Titan facilitated a truly life-changing experience for us. I can tell you that if you told me three years ago we'd be looking to buy a 44' fifth wheel that weighs north of 24,000 lbs and go full time liveaboard I'd have said you're nuts. Yet here we are: condo is going on the market in one week, it will go quickly, and it'll be decision time on which RV to get.

We've got our choice down to a Riverstone 39FK, or a couple of DRV Suites from the 2015 (pre-Thor) era.

Knowing this we were able to find a great deal on a truck, I got a great deal on my trade-in, and the biggest worry (the tow vehicle) is now out of the picture.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex-man1714 View Post
    Hello I am torn between the Ford 6.2 and the gm 6.0 engines for towing 31 ft fifth wheel loaded about 9500lbs any help would be appreciated I live in Montana and will be pulling to the southwest and Texas thanks!
    Not sure anyone really touched on the 6.2 Ford but if I missed the post I apologize. Hopefully someone with experience with the Ford 6.2 will chime in.....I think there are some owners or those with experience on the forum. Engines, truck brand, hitches, and tires seem to stoke the fire burning the landscape for many miles in different directions.

As some did touch on, the 6.0 GM is a very viable choice. My brother-in-law tows a 31' 11K fiver with a mid 2000s year GMC 6.0 and is happy with it. Sure, the bigger hills work the engine abit but it is built for that. Yes, steeper mtn. grades will work it more but the truck is built for that even though mtn. towing is not in his plans. Tranny fluid, engine oil, and engine coolant temp areas all stay in the proper ranges even under hard working conditions. Again, the truck is built for this type of work. His truck does have the tow/haul mode.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123