User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greystone Fireplace failure

This morning we heard a bzrrt noise from the fireplace, saw a bit of flash on upper part of the unit, subsequently smelled a burnt odor. Good thing we were up and around! Removed unit and investigated. Took back cover off and plugged back in, got smoke from elements, fan did not run. Suspect elements got too hot due to fan failure. Label on back says no user serviceable parts inside, but clearly, they are replaceable if they could be obtained. By the way, our 303 is a 2014. So - looking for advice on where to go from here!

Edited title to reflect "Greystone" instead of "Furrion". -Moderator Howard
    Last edited by howson; 01-29-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe check with GD
    Potential Fire Hazard on Greystone Fireplace
    Post 1 https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post203582
    Post 20 https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post203820
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks gbkims, we will report to Emily Monday.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greystone fireplace failure

Yes, this is a Greystone fireplace, not a Furrion. We ordered and received a new circuit board. They also sent a new transformer. Can't believe it was only $25. After removing the back of the unit, it appears to be well made. I replaced the transformer even though it appeared ok. The only difficulty was removing the circuit board which has nylon pins with wings holding it in place. Squeezing the pins sufficiently was difficult. Had to wiggle out the fiber board that serves as a backdrop to the "firebox". Lots of connectors. In the meantime I vacuumed out what I could, but it was not sufficient, so I used compressed air. Did this in my shop, but I should have done it outside, as there was quite quite a bit of dust. Used a hospital swab to clean louvers on the front.

Now that it was back together I like to unlayer failed components to see what failed. A miniature relay blew a hole in it possibly from overloaded contacts. I have a theory on this, as the blower motor was hard to turn due to dust buildup, maybe it drew too much current. We will try to post pics.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00860.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	17417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00861.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	17418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00864.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	17419

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
    Yes, this is a Greystone fireplace, not a Furrion. We ordered and received a new circuit board. They also sent a new transformer. Can't believe it was only $25. After removing the back of the unit, it appears to be well made. I replaced the transformer even though it appeared ok. The only difficulty was removing the circuit board which has nylon pins with wings holding it in place. Squeezing the pins sufficiently was difficult. Had to wiggle out the fiber board that serves as a backdrop to the "firebox". Lots of connectors. In the meantime I vacuumed out what I could, but it was not sufficient, so I used compressed air. Did this in my shop, but I should have done it outside, as there was quite quite a bit of dust. Used a hospital swab to clean louvers on the front.

Now that it was back together I like to unlayer failed components to see what failed. A miniature relay blew a hole in it possibly from overloaded contacts. I have a theory on this, as the blower motor was hard to turn due to dust buildup, maybe it drew too much current. We will try to post pics.Click image for larger version. 

Good to know and see the pictures in case we need to do the same or something similar to our 2014 303 Greystone. I think I will take it apart this spring when we take our of storage and do some cleaning as you point out.

Thanks, for sharing......good stuff !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$25 for the board

Hello,

May I ask where you got the board?

Thanks,

Danny

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danny,

Sorry for the slow response, Have not been on this forum in some time (sold our Reflection). We ordered directly from Greystone. It has been long enough I do not have contact info.

Tom
    2014 303 RLS
    2017 F450, Air suspension, Aluminum tow body, B&W hitch
    3rd family member - Labradoodle

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danny,

Sorry for the slow response, Have not been on this forum in some time (sold our Reflection). We ordered directly from Greystone. It has been long enough I do not have contact info.

Tom

Tom - it has been a while and now I know why. You sold your Reflection for another RV (what type/model/etc.) or did you get out of the camping/RV thing ?

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan,

We bought a much smaller RV, a 25' Escape, a fiberglass 5th wheel made in British Columbia. We will not be doing any extensive travelling, mainly some camping in our local mountains in Tennessee and when travelling to a camping property we own in NY and maybe the Adirondacks.

Tom
    2014 303 RLS
    2017 F450, Air suspension, Aluminum tow body, B&W hitch
    3rd family member - Labradoodle