User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much do I offer for a brand new 2017 Ram 2500 Diesel?

I've been looking for a new Tow Vehicle for a while now. We'd like to buy 2600RB, but we need a new TV first. Unfortunately I absolutely hate, Hate, HATE buying a new vehicle. I despise the whole "car sales" process, but I do like look at new vehicles....alone. So I'll often wonder through the local dealerships parking lots looking at the new vehicles by my self and only after I see something interesting or know exactly what I want, will I go inside the dealership and solicit a sales person. Anyway, I was in the local RAM dealership lot the other day and I stumbled across a brand new 2017 RAM 2500 Diesel Long Horn addition pickup truck buried in close to 100 misc 1500's. The truck was open, so I got into it. It was nicely equipped truck with lots of bells and whistles, but I wasn't too fond of the look of the two tone (tan and brown) interior, but the leather bucket seats were comfortable. The window sticker was missing, so I went inside the dealership and to see a salesmen. Well he didn't even know that that truck was out there and he couldn't tell me anything about it. It seemed like they literally had lost the truck in there own yard. He took my contact info, then two days later he emailed me a copy of the window sticker and the MSRP was just over $70,000. So my question is this.... What do you think I should offer for the truck? Basically it's a new truck with no mileage on it, but its also been sitting on the lot for at least year and half, maybe two. So its technically not a new truck, heck the 2019s will be arriving real soon. So I'm not sure what to offer or it.

Thoughts???

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2019s are already on the lot. How bad do they want it to move?

I just bought a 2018 F-150 that cost me $7,000 less than a 19 with zero changes and the exact same options. The only difference was the one I bought rolled off the line in Kansas City 3 weeks earlier. I negotiated almost 15k off the MSRP. Lowball them, and don't be afraid to walk away.

How many miles does it have? Any machine that's been sitting idle that long would give me pause, and I would expect to have the dealer fix several items under warranty. If it was a loaner or one of the sales managers drove it I would be less concerned and that should be taken into account during negotiations.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I was in a similar situation when I bought my truck. I just looked up my sale. Dealer list price was $67,900. I paid $59,078 ($8,822) off. Not a great deal but the truck had 95% of what I wanted so I bought it. They gave me another $1,000 off for a van I had that had been sitting parked for 4-5 years.

HTH,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I’d wonder why they haven’t sold a 2 year old truck. Salvage title maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I’d wonder why they haven’t sold a 2 year old truck. Salvage title maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good question. how many miles on it really? Demo unit, salesman weekender?

Just for the record, my new RAM 3500 was MSRP $72K. I paid $51K for it. It was new model year. I would maybe offer them $40K. Two years is a long time for a vehicle to sit and rot.
    http://nortek3d.com/rv/towhome_small2.jpg
    2016 Momentum 350M
    2018 RAM 3500 SRW CTD 6.7
    2007 Harley Ultra Classic - the toy in the Hauler.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any volume dealer should give you 20% off a 2019. Considering this unit is now 2 model years old and has depreciated, I would start at 30% off MSRP at see where it goes from there.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you have the window sticker, book it out as a used truck, then go from there and figure out how much you want to pay for it. At least you will know what it's worth when you drive off in it...or not.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a Chevy. Just sayin

Brian

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many would just wait for the 2019 new model 2500 trucks to hit the lot--if you can find a dealer willing to sell you one for a great price. If money is a big issue, I'd special order one exactly to suit my needs--not too nice and not too "basic." I like the Longhorn model, however their base model trucks are actually pretty nice with a few options.

I was in the auto business for 24 years, and am fortunate to know enough dealers that carry numerous brands of cars and trucks at "relative prices."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Many would just wait for the 2019 new model 2500 trucks to hit the lot--if you can find a dealer willing to sell you one for a great price. If money is a big issue, I'd special order one exactly to suit my needs--not too nice and not too "basic." I like the Longhorn model, however their base model trucks are actually pretty nice with a few options.

I was in the auto business for 24 years, and am fortunate to know enough dealers that carry numerous brands of cars and trucks at "relative prices."
    Money is the issue according to the OP's post. If he can make a decent deal on a two year old rig with little or no miles then he is golden...as long as it fits his needs. I would not expect it so be a wreck or salvage title LOL if it is still on the lot. Maybe a buy back or something of that nature though...never know unless you ask. Very well could be a good purchase if it fits his needs. Book it and make sure it has a clean title and they may make you a very good deal.

Anything over 300 days in stock was a good deal when I was in the business...
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast