Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Route in and out of Borrego Springs

Hey you California RV'ers
    Next month we are going to Borrego Springs, leaving Pechanga Resort in Temecula. Any advice on best route, pulling our 337? We have been there before arriving from the Salton Sea side a couple of years ago (really rough road for several miles,if you go) We leave The Springs at Borrego RV resort and head to Metro KOA San Diego. Both 78 and 79 look pretty twisty, curvy going south towards San Diego. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

E & J
    2017 337 RLS
    2016 Silverado Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emurphy View Post
    Hey you California RV'ers
    Next month we are going to Borrego Springs, leaving Pechanga Resort in Temecula. Any advice on best route, pulling our 337? We have been there before arriving from the Salton Sea side a couple of years ago (really rough road for several miles,if you go) We leave The Springs at Borrego RV resort and head to Metro KOA San Diego. Both 78 and 79 look pretty twisty, curvy going south towards San Diego. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

E & J
    2017 337 RLS
    2016 Silverado Duramax
    We live near Borrego Springs and boondock there often. The bumpy road just outside of Salton City is better than it was a few years ago if you want to try it again. I don't know how long your 337 is but I don't recommend 78 if you're over 35'. We took the 36' Carriage we used to have up the curvy road one time between Banner and Julian and found it very difficult to stay in the narrow lanes going around the tight curves. We came back the same way but wouldn't want to do it again. There's a sign posted limiting the length of rig allowed but I'm sorry I've forgotten what the limit is. After you get past Julian the rest of the road toward I-8 to San Diego is okay. We've taken a vehicle up 79 toward Santa Ysabel and it's pretty curvy and a bit steep when you're climbing up out of Borrego Springs but from what I remember the road is wide and there are no limit signs posted. You can come in that way from Temecula and should be okay. It's a pretty drive and the view dropping down into Borrego is nice. Another option is to take 78 east through Ocotillo Wells then south on 86. Then turn south on Forrester Rd in Westmorland to I-8. You may run into some slow traffic going from Westmorland to I-8 but it's not bad. That route is a few more miles than 78 but a lot faster traveling to get to your KOA in San Diego. Hope that helps some. Enjoy!
    Last edited by dennysbabe; 01-15-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks "dennysbabe", helpful info
    Ed