User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine furnace fan on/off frequently

We are amidst our first winter owning the Imagine 2800BH and have noticed the furnace and fan turn on and off constantly overnight. It seems to run for around a minute and comes on every 5-10 minutes. These have been Arizona nights with near freezing temps in the high 30s and 40s.

We have tried setting the thermostat low (low 60s) all the way up to around 70 which is as warm as we’d ever set it for comfort. Doesn’t seem to change things at all. We have been on shore power so conserving battery hasn’t been an issue.

It’s just somewhat loud and annoying to have the fan cycle that frequently. We are thinking maybe a space heater like we use at home...the oil filled radiator style...just to help keep the temp up and hopefully reduce cycling.

Any experience and remedies for this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wileyAZ46; 01-14-2019 at 07:12 AM.
    John and Jessica - Plus 3 Kids...2 Cats...2 Dogs
    Tucson, AZ - Sabino Creek

2019 Imagine 2800BH
    Towing with 2018 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Super Crew

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am wondering if there is a problem with the furnace or thermostat. A small electric pelonis heater or infrared heat will work better than the oil filled type. I have tried the oil type at home in basement and did not have good luck with it heating a 8 x 8 room. I came across a eden pure and it works well but have to keep the setting low , it likes to use a lot of electric.
    I believe there is a temp sensor in the furnace somewhere , hopefully there is some one with that experience can help.

Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wileyAZ46 View Post
    We are amidst our first winter owning the Imagine 2800BH and have noticed the furnace and fan turn on and off constantly and frequently overnight. It seems to run for around a minute and comes on every 5-10 minutes. These have been Arizona nights with near freezing temps in the high 30s and 40s.

We have tried setting the thermostat low (low 60s) all the way up to around 70 which is as warm as we’d ever set it for comfort. Doesn’t seem to change things at all. We have been on shore power so conserving battery hasn’t been an issue.

It’s just somewhat loud and annoying to have the fan cycle that frequently. We are thinking maybe a space heater like we use at home...the oil filled radiator style...just to help keep the temp up and hopefully reduce cycling.

Any experience and remedies for this problem?

Is you thermostat near the furnace? I ran into this with our 297RSTS. The heat from the furnace, which was in the bottom of the hutch, would heat the wall of the hutch where the thermostat was mounted. Insulation placed in the wall below where the thermostat was mounted fixed the problem.
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srobins View Post
    Is you thermostat near the furnace? I ran into this with our 297RSTS. The heat from the furnace, which was in the bottom of the hutch, would heat the wall of the hutch where the thermostat was mounted. Insulation placed in the wall below where the thermostat was mounted fixed the problem.
    Well, it’s on the opposite side of the rig but similar area (middle...under kitchen). I definitely think air coming out of cabinet below sink shoots right at the thermostat so not an ideal setup.

2019 Imagine 2800BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have experienced similar with our 2800BH. One of the outlets is on the end of the kitchen counter, which is right next to the thermostat. I had to make sure to make sure it is pointing down to reduce the cycling. We have what is expected to be real cold weekend campout by central Texas standards this weekend and thinking we might bring an extra bottle of gas and get one of those ceramic heaters.
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f100owner View Post
    We have experienced similar with our 2800BH. One of the outlets is on the end of the kitchen counter, which is right next to the thermostat. I had to make sure to make sure it is pointing down to reduce the cycling. We have what is expected to be real cold weekend campout by central Texas standards this weekend and thinking we might bring an extra bottle of gas and get one of those ceramic heaters.
    Ok I’ll try to spin that outlet diffuser. Hopefully I can point it down and towards the open kitchen area as you’re right, it’s facing the corner of the dinette right below the thermostat!!

2019 Imagine 2800BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that seems to be cycling waaay to much, too fast. At a minutes run time, that's hardly enough time for the heat exchanger to come up to temperature.

we have an Imagine 2970 RL that we stayed in over Christmas up here in Minnesota. It was more of two many people in the in-laws house thing, , we basically just slept in the camper and took refuge at times. All bathroom events took place in the in-laws house.
    Anyway, for that week we had temperatures during the day from the low teens to low 20's. At night it went to around 0 with one night at -18 F. We kept the t-stat set at 63. During the daylight hours the furnace would run approx 10 minutes on and up to 40 minutes off, longer off time when I had the fireplace going.
    At night the furnace usually ran 10-15 minutes on, 20 minutes off. The night it went to -18F the furnace ran pretty much 15 minutes on, 15-20 minutes off and I ran the fireplace constantly. I would keep all blinds down at night to help serve as insulation on the windown.

All that being said, the camper was incredibly comfortable! No drafts, a few cool spots like down in a corner by the bed, but nothing awful.

On the cooler days and nights we blew through a 20 lb cylinder pretty much every 12 hrs.

As for our t-stat, there is no vent even close to it, in fact it's the first thing you see when you come in the door.

I wonder if you might have some type of faulty sensor in the furnace. Maybe like a faulty flame sensor.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This weekend we took our first trip in our new 2800bh and found the furnace to be cycling on/off frequently. I popped off the directional cover on the vent located at the end of the kitchen counter nearest the sink and bedroom. I wrapped it in aluminum foil and put it back on. I punched a hole in the foil to keep air flowing but at a reduced rate. Last night temps dropped to 35 and the furnace cycled normal.

I am in the process of looking for directional vents that can be closed so that I can replace all throughout the camper.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riv450 View Post
    This weekend we took our first trip in our new 2800bh and found the furnace to be cycling on/off frequently. I popped off the directional cover on the vent located at the end of the kitchen counter nearest the sink and bedroom. I wrapped it in aluminum foil and put it back on. I punched a hole in the foil to keep air flowing but at a reduced rate. Last night temps dropped to 35 and the furnace cycled normal.

I am in the process of looking for directional vents that can be closed so that I can replace all throughout the camper.
    We also experienced an issue where too much of the warm air from the furnace was coming out of the bathroom and bedroom vents. In order to balance the air flow, I installed one of these in both the bedroom and bathroom. Very easy to do. Just pry off the face of the existing vent and you will have access to the mounting screws. We found the the duct work was secured to the vent with one small screw.

Ordered from Amazon

JR Products HV4DBK-A Black 4" Dampered Heat Vent
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps this work depends simply on the model’s functionality. We bought a lot of heaters in our house, but we are fans of ceramic heaters (we install small ones in different rooms, this is more effective in our opinion). In your case, it is possible either to come to terms with such a device or change it.
    Last edited by bathwalter; 09-15-2019 at 09:48 PM. Reason: to give more information

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast