User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Headed through Canada and Alaska

We have been rving for three years and headed out for 3-4 months across Canada touring Alaska this summer. While plotting our course we are locating rv parks. Does anyone have suggestions for such a trip regarding making reservations throughout the trip? Does anyone suggest making all reservations in advance for the 6,000 trip or taking chances to book as one travels?
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We traveled from home in Florida to Alaska and back during the summer of 2017 and rarely made a reservation and the rare few we made were only a few hours out. However if you want to get into some campgrounds, like in Denali National Park, Lake Louise in Canada and some others you will need Reservations well ahead of time. There are lots and lots of places to camp, especially in Alaska. We absolutely lucked out at the Lake Louise Campground and got one night when we pulled up to the ranger booth because of a last minute cancellation. It is a fantastic trip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, I did a very lengthy blog on our trip on IRV2. Search for “2017 Florida to Alaska Trip” if you want to check it out. You should find some very useful info.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElvisAdventures View Post
    We have been rving for three years and headed out for 3-4 months across Canada touring Alaska this summer. While plotting our course we are locating rv parks. Does anyone have suggestions for such a trip regarding making reservations throughout the trip? Does anyone suggest making all reservations in advance for the 6,000 trip or taking chances to book as one travels?
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
    We drove from Colorado to Alaska in 2018. All your questions are answered in the planner book called; The MILEPOST 2018: Alaska Travel Planner.
    Also check out the Alaska maritime highway which is a series of ferries that will take your camper. Best trip of our lives!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in BC, so here are my 2 cents.

For the most part, it will be like anywhere else. For Provincial parks, you will likely need a reservation for the weekend. Maybe/maybe not for weekdays depending on the location and popularity. If you haven't made your reservation yet for the long weekends in May, July, Aug and Sept, you might be out of luck by now for popular destinations. If you don't plan on making reservations during the week, you might want to call ahead a day or 2 to your desired campground to ensure they have space. Also, always have a back-up in mind in case they are full. It sucks having to drive 100's of miles in the late evening in the dark trying to find a campground with space when you are dead tired and hungry.

Private RV parks will usually always have space, except maybe the 4 long weekends I mentioned above.

The long weekends in BC are
    -Victoria Day - May
    -Canada Day - July
    -BC Day - Aug
    -Labour Day - Sept

The acutal dates change every year so check your 2019 calendar.

Hope this helps.
    ~Ray

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill & Jeri RV Travels View Post
    BTW, I did a very lengthy blog on our trip on IRV2. Search for “2017 Florida to Alaska Trip” if you want to check it out. You should find some very useful info.

I just checked and the search came up blank. Are you sure it's still there?
    Steve & Ann Ellis
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sellis1053 View Post
    I just checked and the search came up blank. Are you sure it's still there?
    Yes, I just checked and it is still there. The link is:
    http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/2017-...ip-346333.html

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill & Jeri RV Travels View Post
    Yes, I just checked and it is still there. The link is:
    http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/2017-...ip-346333.html

Thanks for the link. Very informative. We're planning on going next summer from NC.
    Steve & Ann Ellis
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins