Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

New Orleans - places to camp and transit system

Planning a trip. Back in the 80's (pre kids) wife and I dropped in after visiting her folks in Mississippi. All I remember was a big parking lot at a visitors center and possibly a trolley to the district. She remembers nothing as she was sick. She made the best of it though for a few hours.

So we might go back and was wondering what campgrounds are good and something about transit system so I am not trying to drive the dully around

We would like to see the old mansions and especially sample the food (never had a soft shell crab) Also need my fill of gulf shrimp and oysters on the grill - yumm

Thanks for any help
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed at Reunion Lake on the north side of Lake Pontchartrain about a hour away. Great campground. All concrete pads and full hookups. We are planning an trap is a few years. https://www.reunionlakerv.com/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    2018 Imagine 2150RB
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper keywestparrothead's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RVparkreviews.com is a great resource I use. I am planning a trip to the 50Th anniversary of the NOLA Jazz fest and was just looking up some campgrounds yesterday. Some were really good and some not so good... Good luck!
    2016 Momentum 376TH "The Beauty"
    2015 Ford F450 King Ranch Crew Cab "The Beast"
    2016 Indian Roadmaster "Our Toy"
    2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure "My Toy"
    ------------------------
    Previous addictions...
    2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
    2010 Montana 3750FL
    2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
    2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been looking at the same thing. A lot of folks stay at Pontchartrain Landing. It is quite pricey($75-$95) and you go through the ghetto to get there. The park itself is decent and they do have shuttle service to the quarter. However, it is not a good spot to see some of the old mansions on the river road. A local friend over there suggested Bayou Segnette SP in Westwego across the river as a good spot to use for seeing some of the old mansions like Oak Alley, etc. The state park is more reasonably priced, has water and electric, but no sewer at the campsites, only a dump station which shouldn't be a problem. There is also an RV park right down in the French Quarter, French Quarter RV Resort, pricey at $125 nite, but you are right in the thick of things. Not sure how hard it is to get there or what amenities they have. I would call if you are interested.
    Last edited by joesmainship; 01-16-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    The Capt and the Admiral
    Joe & Marilyn
    2017 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 F350 DRW FX4 6.7 PS, B&W Companion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we stayed at Pont. landing , it was alright and N.O. is pricey but it is FUN. campground is high but as good as you'll fine there, enjoy the time and keep the money flowing enjoy you can't take it with you and let the kids make theirs

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed at the KOA for a week earlier this year and it wasn't terrible. We had a spot right across from the office/bathrooms. If you decide to go there, make sure you get something in the front (Sites 42-67). These are all long enough for any fifth wheel. Uber and Lyft are a good choice. There is a bus line out front, but we did not use it. We would stay here again. Being from New Orleans and going back to see family, we would not hesitate to stay here again.
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have used the French Quarter a couple of times. As was said, right there in walking distance. If I was going back, French Quarter would be my choice. Just to convenient.
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg