Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying used 323 BHS

Hello,

My wife and I are considering upgrading from a trailer to a 323 BHS. We found a 2015 that is priced right. It has its usual been used dings on the inside but is in good shape. My biggest concern is that is was pulled on our lovely MN salty roads and the frame is all rust. My plan, if we move forward is to spend some time sanding it down and re-painting. He also has indicated that he has never serviced the bearings, so that would be done, and the tires are original. Is there anything else that would be an issue with these models? Before we agree to anything he has a shop that he can take it to and I plan on making sure everything works.

Also, what are people pulling a trailer like this with? I plan on upgrading to a 1 ton. I would love to get a diesel, but wondering if a gas would be fine, to save some costs.

Thanks in advance!

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll definitely want a 1T, and if there's any way you can swing the $$$, get a diesel. I think you'll be much happier towing with it.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 323BHS, however it has spent its life in a campground storage lot and only has delivery miles on it.

In your situation, I would find an independent mobile RV tech to do a complete inspection of the unit. Maybe he can also get the present owner to spring for complete bearing and brake inspection--and repacking the bearings.

If you do buy the 323, I would definitely want to consider the time and expense of sanding the chassis and repainting it. I wouldn't want to pay top retail value for a unit that's been towed in winter weather in the "far north." Many people only tow their trailers in good weather/Summer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camper1013,

Welcome. The 323 is a very nice layout. My sister has a 2015 323 and loves it. Have you seen the chassis in person and know its rusting due to salty roads or is that what you're assuming? If you have seen rust then obviously get it sand blasted and repainted. Do you know how or where the unit was stored? Without seeing the condition I'd say tires and bearings need updating.

Gas will get the job done but only under certain circumstances. How far are you planning on traveling? I pull here in MN with no problems but my camper is shorter and lighter. My personal opinion is you would definitely want a 1 ton for payload. If you think you're going to travel to the mountains often, diesel would be a better choice. If you're one that likes to stick to the numbers and not exceed them but wants a gasser, you're going to need a 1 ton with 4.10s or 4.30s. As an example, my 1 ton gasser with 3.73s is only rated to tow 12,320 lbs. A loaded 323 is quite a bit higher than that. If I had 4.10s it would be rated to tow 15,300 lbs.

One other thing to note is your tabs run $135/year with a 1 ton here in MN. A new 2500 equally equipped will be north of $600.

Good luck with your possible purchase!
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, welcome!

We have a 2016 323BHS and love it, it is a great fiver. You will definitely want to replace the tires, be sure to balance them when you replace. You will also want to inspect and repack the bearings. While you are in there, I would also do a complete brake replacement. Don't mess around with replacing just the brakes shoes, you can replace the entire assembly for nearly the same cost and have new brake frames that have not been exposed to salt. Also check your drums, the factory seals on my 323 blew out and I had to replace all my drums as they were saturated in grease.

Regarding the frame rust, depending on how bad the pitting is, sanding will likely not be a successful long term solution. It will be very difficult to get every nook and cranny cleaned out using sandpaper and wire brushes. I would go to Harbor Freight (either local if you have one or on line) and get a high volume, portable sand blasting kit. You will need a decent size air compressor as well, if you don't have one, you really should get one. You will also need a respirator, face shield, and some crappy clothes. You can probably set yourself up for about $500 through Harbor Freight. You can then drop the underbelly in sections and sandblast the frame down to clean metal. Make sure you tape off areas that need protection as the sandblasting can rip stuff up. Work in small sections and take your time. Yes, it will make a mess, but it will be much easier and effective than sandpaper. Sandblasting will remove all the rust, including in the welds, joints, pits, etc. Go to a local auto body supply shop and get high quality primers and paint. Head back to Harbor Freight and get a paint sprayer to apply the paint. A couple weekends of work, and you will have a pristine frame.

Regarding the truck, I tow our 323 with a 3/4 ton diesel. I have added a spring to the rear and have air bags, so I have modified the truck. If I could do it all over again, I would definitely get a 1 ton. Would not even consider a gasser for a 323 fiver, but I do a lot of cross country driving. If you can swing a diesel, definitely do it.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses.

I am not afraid to get dirty cleaning up the rust and planned on doing that. I like a good project. The sand blasting does sound easier than sanding or grinding. We plan to make an offer on the unit knowing what will need to be put in to clean it up (rust, bearings and tires) after we do a detailed inspection and make sure everything works. We both really like the Grand Designs and this is a well priced opportunity for us to get into a nice rig.