Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rv insurance

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rv insurance

I just got my renewal for the TT and it went up 27% or $110 a year no claims or anything else. Anyone else had this issue? I call them(Safeco) and they want to blame it on hail, I really haven't found anyone cheaper I just think it is BS that they find any reason to raise it. I guess I will get off the soapbox now.
    2015 F250 CC SB 4x4 6.7 PSD
    2018 315 RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try Good Sams and combine with Auto, we saved $600, it offers vanishing deductibles and accident forgiveness, and the option to put the RV n storage which reduces the cost as well
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRizRV View Post
    I would try Good Sams and combine with Auto, we saved $600, it offers vanishing deductibles and accident forgiveness, and the option to put the RV n storage which reduces the cost as well
    Mark
    I tried them $200 more.
    2015 F250 CC SB 4x4 6.7 PSD
    2018 315 RLTS

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked Progressive? Are you eligible for USAA?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    State Farm.....$534 per 6 months....$250 deductible
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be with State Farm, for about 20 years. We are full-timers and went with full replacement coverage from Geico. Combined home and auto and saved a lot of money. State Farm doesn't offer full-time coverage, and when I checked Progressive and Good Sam, they were both a bit more than Geico. I never planned to be with them, but that's life I guess.

A lot of the price depends on your age, what you drive, and where you live - plus your credit score. When we got our permanent home-base in Washington County, UT the price went down versus when we were based in Salt Lake County.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, combined ATV and Auto/Trailer with full replacement.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd check National General. I haven't found anyone that comes close to their prices. Just went through this a month or so ago. The other insurance companies just told me they couldn't come close to the premium. No price hike from last year either.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got Progressive for auto & RV. Thought I'd give MetLife a call to get an auto & RV quote since I retired with a company that MetLife has group policies with.
    Got as far as the auto quote, turned out to be several hundred higher than my current Progressive auto coverage.
    So no change for me right now.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So there are 2 major ways these claims get paid. Total loss replacement or ACV.

Total loss replacement, stated value (so long as the verbage "lessor of acv or stated.." isn't used or if it is gets specifically endorsed elsewhere), purchase price protection are all the same stuff for the most part. Small details between companies make them slightly different but the loss payout is for purchase price or the cost of a new unit, not Actual cash value. This is a huge distinction, especially as the RV gets 3+ years old the value really starts to get noticeable.

Anyway, the point is if you are sitting on an total loss replacement policy you can expect the cost to rise. Its simple math. The residual value of the trailer is dropping like a stone and the cost to replace is fixed or even rising if it is a replacement policy. Regardless, even if it is just for the purchase price, the drop in residual value on the trailer increases the potential cost to the insurer every year it depreciates further.

So you can more or less expect yearly increases. There is also the increased moral hazard of full replacement on a depreciated asset which is adding cost.

Not to say that ACV will never see increases, you can. Companies change their base rates all the time, there just isn't a built in mathematical mechanism for them due to depreciation or other hazards.

Total loss replacement can be difficult to get once you are out of the first 2 or 3 years of ownership. So don't make the mistake of shopping around over $150 a year and end up costing yourself all that depreciation if you do have a loss because not all companies offer it. In fact, most do not and are strictly ACV only.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast