User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing my springs and need some help from those who have done it

I am finally getting around to changing my springs an installing MorRyde equalizer and wet bolts on my Imagine.

I have the trailer hitched to truck and one side of trailer jacked up and on jack stands. The Dexter springs and equalizer all came off easily and so now I have the axles free and supported with blocks and hydraulic jacks. So I bolted on the new springs and got the springs perpendicular to the axles. I have since loosened the u-bolts (I will trash those use new ones since I had torqued them down) so I could move the springs a little to see if it helps with the problem.

But here is the problem. The eyes of the springs are offset from the hangers, towards the outside of the trailer, so that the spring eyes don't want to go into the hanger. The same is true with the alignment to the equalizer hanger. In other words, if I am laying down looking up at the springs, the springs are shifted about maybe 1/2" to 3/4" outwards from the side of trailer. If I loosen the u-bolts and get it to where a spring rotates a little so that I can get it into a hanger, then it makes the equalizer side of the spring even further out from the equalizer hanger.

It got dark on me today and I had to quit for the day, so I could not try anything else. Do you think maybe I need to jack up the other side of the trailer. It's as though the axles have shifted over towards the side I am working on.
    Pete D.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pete . . . first of all . . . you have done nothing wrong . What you are wrestling with is pretty normal for replacing springs and getting them re-attached.

It sounds like you may have the side you are working on higher than the side still sitting on the tires. The body weight is moving towards the other side (the low side) so, this looks like the axles are being pushed towards you. I would try to get the trailer level side-to-side by lowering the jacks on the side that you are working on so that the axles are parallel to the ground . . . or maybe a little low on your side to reverse the body shift that has already happened.

Keep us informed on how this goes. Take pictures and post, if things still are not going back together.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 01-15-2019 at 09:01 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Everything you mentioned makes sense. I just went out and put a level on the bumper. The side I am working on is high because when I jacked up the trailer to take the tires off, I put a jack stand on that side without lowering it back to level. That's a lot of weight pressing against the tire side suspension. And thanks for your suggestion of making it little low on the side that I am working to bring it in. I will let you know how it works out.
    Pete D.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete

It would also be a lot easier if you could jack up both sides of the trailer. This will allow you to move the axels with ease.
    Letting one side of the trailer on the ground I think no matter what you do for level it will be hard to get the axel to move where you need it.

Brian

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also keep the jacks and stands supporting the frame in the middle of the coach, or right at the tires and leaf suspension. If you get them out too far towards either end of the coach you could unsprung (?) the normal arch (upside down smiley) of the frame and it could lead to delamination of the side panels. At least that is what I read.
    i didn't change my leaf springs when I installed the MorRyde upgrade on our Imagine, but it was still alittle frustrating getting everything lined up and the new wet bolts in. Use a "C" clamp to pull the sides of the hangers together against the spring eyes when tightening the wet bolts. You'll get the correct torque on the nuts that way.

Hang in there! It will all be worth it in the end! I'm glad I installed it.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would have been best to use the tongue jack rather than being hitched to the truck. This would add more stability. Its normal to see some shifting. Work one side and one axle at a time and leave the U bolts loose enough to be able to move the spring eye side to side to allow a connection to the equalizer and hanger. You can move things around with a C clamp or tie down strap. Then torque all the components that have been installed.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete,

Since you described changing out the leaf springs on your Imagine, I'm just curious are you going to heavier-rated (stiffer) springs as a way to achieve more clearance between the tires and the underside of the floor? If so which replacement springs did you go with? Are you doing anything else to achieve more clearance (lift blocks, etc.)?
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the of the advice.

I ended up jacking up trailer and dropping both axles. I figured since I was changing the springs anyway I just as well get both axles off at the same time. I was hitched to the truck to make sure the trailer could not go anywhere, but I lowered the tongue jack to put most of the front support on the tongue jack. I put jack stands on the frame behind the rear hangers.

It was quite a job because things didn't line up very well at all, like I expected. I can't exactly say what the problem was but I think it is basically how sloppy the hangers were welded on. The equalizer hanger on the drivers side was rotated somewhat, rotated out about an eighth of an inch from parallel to the frame. I did leave the u-bolts a little loose and didn't torque them until I was sure I could get all the bolts in everywhere and could pull everything together. I am not totally happy with the end result. There is allot of side pressure on everything because of how badly the hangers are welded on. I can see how much pressure there is against one side of the hangers (to the inside or outside, depending which hanger). When the dealer replaced my axles and springs, they left the old equalizers and shackles on, so I was able to see how bad the nylon bushings looked in the hangers (I had about 7000 miles on trailer). The bushings were worn through at some ends, and the bolts themselves were wearing and there was metal wear into some shackles and the equalizer center hole. I expect the same eventually to happen again, because the real problem with the Lippert assembly of the hangers will still be there. I mounted the wet bolts with the holes at 3 or 9 o'clock. I greased the bolts while the trailer was still up with the wheels off, but I am having trouble getting grease into one of the shackle bolts and I am going to have try to find what the problem is with that one. Pumping grease into the other ones, I was hoping to see grease squeeze out from both sides of the spring eyes, but most of the spring eyes are so tightly jammed against one side or the other because of the misalignment, there is no sign of grease getting between the side of the spring eye and the hanger in some places. The spring eyes are jammed to the sides of hangers the same as they were with the original springs, which I was aware of before doing all of this.

I won't be able to get back to working on it for a few days days because of weather, so I put the wheels back on and lowered the trailer and drove it forward and backward a little and then tried greasing again but it didn't change anything as far as getting grease in. I am now getting tire clearance of 3 7/8" on my worst wheel with the 2400lb springs and Morryde equalizers (used to be 3" unloaded, 2 5/8" loaded, and was rubbing on that tire even with the new springs and 3" axle from dealer). I also need to check load distribution hitch setting. It will probably be a month or more before I will be able to load the trailer and tow it because I don't want to have to winterize again. Overall, I am still not sure how it's going to work out. I wish it was like replacing the starter my car and the car starts so you know you are good to go.
    Last edited by danedubr; 01-19-2019 at 09:17 AM.
    Pete D.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danedubr View Post
    I am now getting tire clearance of 3 7/8" on my worst wheel with the 2400lb springs and Morryde equalizers (used to be 3" unloaded, 2 5/8" loaded, and was rubbing on that tire even with the new springs and 3" axle from dealer).
    Pete,

What replacement springs did you use? Your post mentioned 2,400-lb. springs. I've been considering these Redline PR4 2,400-lb. springs https://www.etrailer.com/trailer-sus...dline/pr4.html as a preventive measure to avoid the tire rubbing issues that other Imagine owners have experienced.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch