User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Verizon Jet pack users

I plan on building a cabin in CO in the next year or so and would like to setup a cam for both security and watching the progress of the build. In that area Verizon works. I was thinking on using a Verizon Jet pack.

I have a few questions about them.

1. I assume you can make the Jet Pack into a hotspot and share the internet to my cam or cams? Does this require a wireless router or just the Jet Pack?

2. If the Jet Pack can act as a hotspot what range does it have?

3. Finally, how reliable is it? Does the Jet pack need to be rebooted often? Is there anyway to reboot it remotely? I could use a timer and just remove the AC power once every 24 hours but if I do that will the Jet pack start back up on it's on?

I see they also have a Smart Hub but it has battery backup so unless there is some way to have it reboot on a set schedule I would have to kill the power for too long of a period

https://www.verizonwireless.com/home...izon-smarthub/
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use it as a hotspot with no router if you like and it does not have to be rebooted. As long as it is setup to find your can even if you lose power it will find the jet pack once rebooted.

I have had no issues with mine other than after 25GB it runs extremely slow. FMCA has a deal for 50dollars a month and the hotspot is .01 with 2 year agreement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Jetpack has a battery so it loses power it will stay online until the battery runs down. You can connect a camera to direct and that what I do to check on my coach in storage and works fine. The range depends on a lot of factors but I don't have any problems around 40 feet with the hotspot in the coach.

I won't get the FMCA deal because you have to sign a two-year agreement and the limited you get slow down to crawl when you hit 22 gigs. I would get the Version Pre-Paid plan that isn't capped and I have used over 200 gigs and still can stream Netflix and cost 70 per month with a 5 dollar discount for paying with a credit card. Best of all it is on a month to month contract. I would stay out a contract since they change coming to the cell network and don't want to be caught with a high-cost plan.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 01-16-2019 at 09:24 AM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the longest that you have ran the Jet pack without trouble? My experience with routers and computers tell me that they all need rebooted periodically. If I can't reboot it because of the battery back up then that might not be what I want

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only had mine for about 35 days and been in the coach for about 20 days without rebooting or locking up. That's probably not the answer you're looking for.

I was told by the Verizon salesperson that the less expensive 7000 series will overheat if you leave it plugged into power and the more expensive 8800 you can leave plugged and it won't overheat.

Here is the link to what I got; Scroll to the bottom of the page.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/

Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    What is the longest that you have ran the Jet pack without trouble? My experience with routers and computers tell me that they all need rebooted periodically. If I can't reboot it because of the battery back up then that might not be what I want
    Last edited by CWSWine; 01-16-2019 at 09:33 AM. Reason: added link
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been Verizon Wireless JetPack users for 3.5 years, now, so perhaps I can add a little to this discussion.

1. The MiFi JetPacks serve as both 4G LTE internet hotspots and wireless routers - no other equipment needed.

2. The JetPacks are intended for portable use, therefore they are battery based (lithium ion). Leaving the JetPack plugged in for long periods after the battery is fully charged can and will result in battery swelling and a possible fire hazard.

3. Our rig is 36 feet long. We keep the MiFi at the back of the living area and the WiFi is fine in the front bedroom. It can also be accessed outside under the awning. High-frequency radio waves are line-of-sight and signal strength will be reduced by passing through walls and other solid materials.

4. Streaming video (such as a security camera) uses quite a bit of data. On a limited data plan, you will max out rather quickly each month. Verizon has just come out (December, I believe) with a new pre-paid plan with unlimited data for MiFi JetPacks (phones cannot be used as hotspots on this new plan). We have gotten excellent service since we've switched over to this plan... until we landed in Augusta, GA, for medical appointments 10 days ago. The tower nearest the RV park we use is under-resourced and over-utilized. In the evening, we often have issues with prioritization and losing our internet connection. We have not had this issue anywhere else (Aberdeen, MD, Cincinnati, OH, and various stops in between, MCAS Cherry Point in NC, etc.), so I'm confident it's an issue with this particular tower.

5. The JetPack has not required frequent reboots or attention except as noted in #4 , above.

Verizon offers 4G LTE solutions for the home. They use hardware other than the portable JetPacks. You might consider looking into those options and having a conversation with Verizon.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 01-16-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that Verizon offers the Arlo Go a cellular connected camera. Looks like I can add it to my current plan. This would cost me about $60 month for the Above Unlimited plan (75GB) since I already have three devices with them

https://www.verizonwireless.com/conn...vices/arlo-go/

it comes with 7 days of cloud storage. Extra storage costs more but you can view live video all you want. Looks like it's $100 year for a 30 day video history.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/landing/arlosmart/

I am going to do some more research on this including can I reboot it remotely.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We have been Verizon Wireless JetPack users for 3.5 years, now, so perhaps I can add a little to this discussion.

1. The MiFi JetPacks serve as both 4G LTE internet hotspots and wireless routers - no other equipment needed.

2. The JetPacks are intended for portable use, therefore they are battery based (lithium ion). Leaving the JetPack plugged in for long periods after the battery is fully charged can and will result in battery swelling and a possible fire hazard.

3. Our rig is 36 feet long. We keep the MiFi at the back of the living area and the WiFi is fine in the front bedroom. It can also be accessed outside under the awning. High-frequency radio waves are line-of-sight and signal strength will be reduced by passing through walls and other solid materials.

4. Streaming video (such as a security camera) uses quite a bit of data. On a limited data plan, you will max out rather quickly each month. Verizon has just come out (December, I believe) with a new pre-paid plan with unlimited data for MiFi JetPacks (phones cannot be used as hotspots on this new plan). We have gotten excellent service since we've switched over to this plan... until we landed in Augusta, GA, for medical appointments 10 days ago. The tower nearest the RV park we use is under-resourced and over-utilized. In the evening, we often have issues with prioritization and losing our internet connection. We have not had this issue anywhere else (Aberdeen, MD, Cincinnati, OH, and various stops in between, MCAS Cherry Point in NC, etc.), so I'm confident it's an issue with this particular tower.

5. The JetPack has not required frequent reboots or attention except as noted in #4 , above.

Verizon offers 4G LTE solutions for the home. They use hardware other than the portable JetPacks. You might consider looking into those options and having a conversation with Verizon.

Rob
    Thanks Rob!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So a more important question, This cabin , will it be a hunting camp? If so can I come, pretty please????

Brian

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wanted to power the Jetpack only 10 hours a day, that could be done with a light timer. Program the light timer on and off as much as you want.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast