User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leak at water heater

Noticed some water on floor of basement storage area and further investigation reveals the cold water connection at bottom of water heater is leaking. Dealer is coming next week to do some warranty repairs but I don't want to wait that long to repair this leak since it is soaking the OSB board the water heater is sitting on.

Can't tell if the leak is where the elbow fitting is threaded onto the water heater or where the soft blue hose is connected to the fitting. I want to just replace the fitting. Can I use a PEX fitting (the hose is not PEX but it looks like the existing hose is merely clamped to the barb...not crimped). Or, is there a good 1/2 threaded elbow fitting with hose barb that works as well?
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi KirbyRVA - This is a well identified problem with using the soft hose with fittings designed for Pex tubing. There are several threads on this topic, but the bottom line is that this combination will always eventually leak. See the attachment to post 1 of this thread. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-Fitting-Leaks

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to believe Grand Design is still doing this with 2019 models.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    It's hard to believe Grand Design is still doing this with 2019 models.
    Hi Brian,

See post 1 on this thread for the official GDRV position on this. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...e-Update/page2. Also, the rest of the discussion on this thread is relevant.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Brian,

See post 1 on this thread for the official GDRV position on this. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...e-Update/page2. Also, the rest of the discussion on this thread is relevant.

Rob
    I remember that thread Rob. Fellow forum members made good counter points to what Emily shared with us but GD still uses their "Eventual-Leak" design.

I did appreciate that Emily came here and shared that information. I just wish GD would listen to their customers better since we actually have field experience and some of us know what we're talking about (me excluded).
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch