Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

power to WFCO WF-5110HP inverter all gone

Today I was intending to install my new Victron battery monitor. I was going to put the display inside and was working on feeding the wire for it to the basement when I made a big boo boo. I had attached the Victron phone-style cord to the WFCO inverter remote cord (because it had alot of slack) to feed it through to the basement. I was pulling the WFCO inverver cord, with the Victron cord taped to it, through the crazy-tight hole where many wires go through to the basement. I pulled too hard, and the WFCO inverter cord broke. Might be my imagination, but I think it smoked a little bit where it pulled apart. So...my remote for the inverter was not powered. No big deal...after reading through the totally inadequate manual, I saw there was an ON/OFF button on the inverter itself. Of course, the side with the button is facing away as it is mounted in the basement. However, no matter where the button is positioned (IN or OUT), the inverter seems to be dead. No power to the fridge when I eliminate AC power. The unit itself has a push button AC breaker which seems to be OK.
    I think I've done all the dummy checks that I can find. Good connections, good battery voltage, etc.
    Does anyone know where the DC protection for the inverter is? Nothing labeled as such in the DC part of the power center. Could the DC protection be in the front storage area near the level-up CB? thanks for any help and ideas.
    RobM
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob
    The inverter actually gets power from the AC panel, Did it trip the inverter breaker there?

Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the AC breaker for the inverter is good. The cable for the remote is RJ-22...smaller than a phone one. I am ordering some now, we'll see if the remote will make it work when the cable arrives. I will get a volt meter on it tomorrow and see if the 12V input to it is good. I didn't mess with anything on the unit, so I am wondering if breaking that remote cable overloaded something internally, even though it was off at the time.
    Last edited by RobM; 01-16-2019 at 06:42 PM.
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you checked and there is 12v DC at the input lugs on the inverter then any DC protection going to the inverter is OK (or, as in the case of mine - there is no protection, the inverter was wired directly to the batteries) then maybe it is dead. But I would hope that shorting the remote wire wouldn't kill the inverter.

Did you remove the remote cable going into the inverter?

I don't think it shouldn't matter if the AC panel CB is tripped, it would be the same as unplugging the inverter to force it into powering the frig via the inverter.

Assuming there is power to the frig with the inverter plugged in, the bypass circuits in the inverter sound ok. There is a reset switch on the inverter for that protection.

There is a troubleshooting diagram in the manual (http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...nual_web-1.pdf) have you followed it?

Failing everything else, I removed mine and replaced it with a different one. So I have one available. If interested it's probably best we PM each other to discuss. (am I allowed to say that here???)
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stupid me, I was reading inverter and brain was thinking converter. Anyhow I found this link and thought it may be helpful.

http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...0HP-Both-1.pdf

Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all...I looked at those trouble shooting diagrams. Directed me to check power at the DC lugs. Input DC Voltage is good there. I will button it up and work on it later. Gotta pack up the basement for a trip next week. BTW, RJ22 cable is difficult to find...still looking.
    RobM

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Thanks all...I looked at those trouble shooting diagrams. Directed me to check power at the DC lugs. Input DC Voltage is good there. I will button it up and work on it later. Gotta pack up the basement for a trip next week. BTW, RJ22 cable is difficult to find...still looking.
    Yeah, that's the RJ9/RJ22/Handset 4P4C, the smallest of the RJ plugs.
    I just had to buy the plugs so I could make a longer cable as these normally intended for phone handsets.
    Progressive Dynamics uses with their charge wizard remote.
    I see below link is coiled handset cord, not what you're after.

Belkin - cables - f8v101-25-bk - 25ft pro series rj9 telephone handset cord
    Last edited by gbkims; 01-17-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered some RJ-22 off ebay. But it may be a waste. Talked to WFCO troubleshooting support. Very knowledgeable. Had me disconnect the negative lug and measure voltage across the lug and the detached negative cable. Let it sit for 10 minutes and re-hooked up. Still nothing. "John" at WFCO said I must've damaged something internally when the wire for the remote broke. Probably will get another just like it, since I run out of talent quickly dealing with electrics, but I can copy the old config and hook up the new one just like it. thanks for the inputs all.
    RobM
    RobM

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Status check Rob.

I have a new 2018 374TH-R Solitude with a dead inverter. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ken,
    The 5110HP has been replaced by the 5110R in the WFCO linup. I bought one from bestconverter.com. Essentially the same unit. All is good now, although I did have some GFCI issues after installing. I started another thread about it...when I plugged in the trailer to my house via extension cord, the gfci at the house would trip. I assumed something was up with the inverter. Lots of good advice to check impedence and other things with the circuits. Good advice from bestconverter owner as well. He said some new inverters will trip a gfci. Google it, and sure enough, there is alot about that. Didnt trouble shoot any further when later on the tripping ceased. Could’ve just as well been moisture in a circuit somewhere. Works great now though.
    RobM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast