User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with a gas engine in a dually. It will pull the same load anyplace that a diesel will just not as fast up Wolf Creek. I have a 2012 F-250 four by with a gas motor & pull around the hills in southwest Colo all the time. I even pull a 10500 lb water hauling trailer around. The newer engines run at higher rpm's when pulling heavier loads. Make sure you have the lowest gear ratio available. Mine has 430 rear end gears, very low. Great for pulling, but uses more gas. I believe most diesels use 350 gear ratio. With gas its all about gearing. Also buy the truck cheap enough, throw on a blower kit and you will run right with the diesels.
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ed - You could get an OBDII scanner and record the actual engine torque that you are using during different driving modes. Most times (other than WOT up a grade) you will be well below the diesel maximum torque curve. This would give you an idea of where you will be in the gasoline torque band. This will not be a direct comparison because of different transmission and axle ratios . . . but will be in the ball park.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Ed - You could get an OBDII scanner and record the actual engine torque that you are using during different driving modes. Most times (other than WOT up a grade) you will be well below the diesel maximum torque curve. This would give you an idea of where you will be in the gasoline torque band. This will not be a direct comparison because of different transmission and axle ratios . . . but will be in the ball park.

Rob
    I didn’t know that thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am a diesel convert now but won't try to convince you to go that way. My only thought is why is a low mile very nice late model gas dually doing on a used vehicle lot? My guess is it was traded on a diesel. Clean late model low mileage diesel duallys are unicorns in south Texas.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with your current truck other than it's an F250 diesel. How old is it? Is it feasible to think that maybe with the age of your diesel truck that factory warranty is gone and the repair costs may start to trickle in? Or is your truck at the pinnacle of value (depreciation hit is complete) and now is the time take advantage of it? Do you live in a state where taxes and fees are greatly different between a 250 and 350? How about insurance between them? Just all little things when summed may add up to a lot.

For my situation, a one ton gas was the clear cut winner. Towing my 11,000 lb fifth wheel is not a problem. I feel the truck handles that load very well. I always feel in control. The truck does shift more up hills but so does my wife's Explorer. I actually drive slow anyway so I couldn't care less about people passing me. The way I look at it is that someone driving 5mph faster than I am probably will be right next to me at the stop light so they've gained nothing.

My vote is for the F350 long bed dually gasser.
    Last edited by jasonl78; 01-17-2019 at 05:39 PM.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of things come to mind up front. If you jump to the F-350 long bed SRW you will likely jump to a 36(?) gallon fuel tank from the undersized tank in the F-250. Payload will be about #1 ,000 +/- gained. If you are currently #300 to #500 over weight right now, it seems while your payload increase may be
    #1 ,000 +/- you already have committed 1/3 to 1/2 of it. Your would also gain some payload from the weight difference gained from gas v diesel. I would think you would meet your needs for available payload with a SRW F-350 gasser.

If you elect to pass on the F-350 dually at that price feel free to share the dealer who has it. I am sure someone on here would be interested.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My take: I couldn't find a 2 year old used gasser on any lots in the area when I was looking. I couldn't find anything new that I wanted. Not because nobody wants them, but the opposite. With diesel being 80 cents/gallon higher here and the premium on purchase and maintenance people are dumping the diesels. Fleets are switching over here too and the dealers didn't see it coming. There were diesels all over the lot, and most of the same dealers weren't willing to negotiate on price. I took my 150 back after two weeks to get some accessories installed and all 3 250 diesels were still sitting on the lot unsold.

Of course I'd love a diesel, and we all know they tow better. However, the 6.2 is a fine motor. Considered bulletproof and very proven. I'd make sure it has a 4.10 gear, or get it swapped though. My only beef is that there are no aftermarket options for a larger gas tank, and 36 gallons doesn't last long at 8mpg and you really can't do a transfer tank with a gas system like you can with a diesel. Hopefully that starts to change.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12