User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Design fail - Unsupported Cupboard Floor

We hauled our new 297RSTS 1600 miles to California this week. Little did I know that you shouldn’t put something too heavy in the cupboards beside the couch at the back of the trailer. The bumps and rough ride caused the false floor in one of the cupboards to collapse and scrape a wire on the back lights from the inside. Now we have no brake or signal light on the trailer. Why would Grand Design not put some supports underneath this false floor? This is about the only fail I have seen, but very bad.
    Last edited by Labretrieverlover; 01-18-2019 at 04:37 AM.
    2018 GD Reflection 297RSTS
    2015 GMC Denali Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Labretrieverlover View Post
    We hauled our new 297RSTS 1600 miles to California this week. Little did I know that you shouldn’t put something too heavy in the cupboards beside the couch at the back of the trailer. The bumps and rough ride caused the false floor in one of the cupboards to collapse and scrape a wire on the back lights from the inside. Now we have no brake or signal light on the trailer. Why would Grand Design not put some supports underneath this false floor? This is about the only fail I have seen, but very bad.
    That was your first post on this forum?
    Maybe think about swinging by the new member area and introducing yourself.
    Then post some pics!
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This issue is common among all trailers. Manufactures make short cuts to keep costs down.
    By the way welcome to the group.

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a construction zone there was an unmarked dip in the road. I was doing about 35 mph. It felt like it does on a roller coaster when you get thrown against the restraints, except we were only wearing seat belts. I can't even imagine what it would have felt like in the trailer. At our next stop we found the restraint on the doors to the closet snapped, the shower door restraint opened with the doors free to slide (but not broken), the bathroom medicine cabinet apparently opened (tossing out several items) and then closed on it's own. Just about everything shifted or moved, but thankfully (in our case) there was no damage.

Experience is the best teacher, but it sure does extract a high price for the lesson! You'll figure it out--hang in there!

As DMB (pointedly) suggested, why not go to the New Member section and introduce yourself?

Welcome to the forum.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    This issue is common among all trailers. Manufactures make short cuts to keep costs down.
    By the way welcome to the group.

Brian
    I totally disagree that it is to cut costs. I think it has everything to do with adding more weight to the RV. Now, should they have added extra support to that area? Probably. But to make a blanket statement that shortcuts are made to keep costs down, I disagree.
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Labretrieverlover,

We have had this same cupboard floor collapse. Also drawer bottoms falling out from heavy contents. As described by others, these trailers are built as light and inexpensively as possible. Things like these are part of towable RV ownership . . . any brand. Agreed that it shouldn't be this way.

WRT the title of your post, we try to use descriptive names so that the discussions can be found later by others interested in the same topic. I have extended the title you chose as it could have referred to many different things.

BTW . . . there are many dog owners and dog lovers on this forum . . . see the pet section. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ay.php/83-Pets

Rob (moderator)
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 3/4" piece of rigid foam insulation makes for a lightweight filler for the hollow cabinet floors.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years back we had a 5th wheel with a rear kitchen.. even on a decent road things would go flying.... on a bad road we'd find drawers and doors open, stuff everywhere... We modified the cupboards, used bungees on the doors, and changed how we packed the kitchen... I'm with Sandi in that it's more about weight than cost.. Especially on a Reflection... Hope the repairs go well... Good luck,.. Norm
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used scrap wood hanging around the house for supporting the cabinet floors next to the couch and resupported all the larger drawers, the smaller ones seem ok in an almost 5 yr old Reflection. Surprisingly the drawer under the oven has held up really well, it holds smaller pots and pans
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As shared, some of us have this happen due to overloading the cabinet along with missed staples as in our case causing one cabinet floor to drop down. There are supports in the cabinet to support the floor or at least there used to be. Could they be more robust and built stronger......sure but the key is if done here and in many other areas, there would be minimal to no CCC left in the RV considering total build price point and build stds.

What this forum has been so good about is sharing owner feedback on these items among this group as well as with GDRV as necessary so they can respond on the forum and implement any corrective action in the build process and/or materials. This is not a static process. With each new model and changing components, design, etc. it is a ever going dynamic event.

See this thread with more information on this relative to the light weight construction and the easy fix options to enhancing the cabinet:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...1795#post81795

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast