User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mounting Solar Panels

I am curious how others have mounted their solar panels to the roof of their trailer. I purchased a couple of 200 Watt panels from Hightec Solar and will be mounting them to the roof of my 297RSTS. I will be using Z-Brackets from Renogy to mount the panels. These came with self-tapping screws and the hardware to fasten them to the panels.

My preference would be to fasten the Z-Brackets through the roof and into a joist, but I have been usable to locate the joists using a stud finder. I am guessing this is due to the foil insulation used on the roof. Just how important is it that the brackets be mounted over a roof joist? Obviously this would be more secure than screwing into the plywood roof only. If you mounted your brackets on joists, how did you locate them?

I plan on putting Dicor sealant on the roof before mounting the brackets and than covering the bracket in additional sealant. I have read elsewhere that someone had placed a piece of Eternalbond tape on the roof where the bracket was located to avoid damaging the roof membrane with the bracket.

Recommendations?

Thanks,
    Steve
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used 1-1/4" stainless screws to hold down the brackets, didn't manage to drill into any rafters, just the roof 1/2" OSB sheathing b/c of where I wanted the panels.
    The trusses are at the sheathing joints, both front and back of roof vents. Some seem spaced different depending on where they're placed in the rig, I checked some when replacing vent fans.
    My mounts from AM Solar had VHB tape on the bottom, so that then mounts, then some eternabond around the brackets and sealant on the screw heads.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2269.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	17230
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    I used 1-1/4" stainless screws to hold down the brackets, didn't manage to drill into any rafters, just the roof 1/2" OSB sheathing b/c of where I wanted the panels.
    The trusses are at the sheathing joints, both front and back of roof vents. Some seem spaced different depending on where they're placed in the rig, I checked some when replacing vent fans.
    My mounts from AM Solar had VHB tape on the bottom, so that then mounts, then some eternabond around the brackets and sealant on the screw heads.

Ditto from AM Solar
    Gary & Erin + Kitty the '85# Border Collie/Lab
    2015 303RLS
    2018 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7PSD (1st Ford coming from '05 Duramax)
    http://www.kleenoilusa.com

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post

Thanks for the information and pictures. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Now I just need to run the wires down into the storage area where I mounted the charge controller.
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Srobins,

Where did you end up running the wires down through? I just bought my panels and will install on the roof of my 2019 297RSTS once the weather breaks .little nervous about drilling into a brand new rig.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Srobins,

Where did you end up running the wires down through? I just bought my panels and will install on the roof of my 2019 297RSTS once the weather breaks .little nervous about drilling into a brand new rig.
    On my 297, I ran them down through the washing machine closet. Do a search for 297 and solar and you should find my post. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll track it down when I get home.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While hitting a joist is a good choice, it is not mandatory or needed and at best you are likely to only get one joist connection per panel. My suggestion is, if you can get the leading panel connected through the roof an into a joist that is the best option. In both my previous rigs I used #10 stainless steel screws and because of the number of panels and available real estate I was only to secure two panels to a joist and that was at the very front.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Srobins,

I took TucsonJim's advice and ran the wires down the back of the larger closet in the bedroom. I looked at a couple of different options including running the wires from the roof down into one of the closets next to the bed. However, Jim pointed out that the angle of the front cap made it difficult to do. I also removed the skylight in the shower to see if I could run from the roof down the inside of the wall between the shower and closet, but there is a header in that wall and I did not feel the added work was worth it. Use can see Jim's post of his installation here:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ighlight=solar

About the only thing I did different was to cover the wires in the back of the closet with Wiremold from Lowes. I have included a picture with the Wiremold in place and the final installation.

Steve

Name:	Install.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	18023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wire mold.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	18024
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continous Resources sells brackets that are made for Hightec Panels. I just installed them yesterday and they are very nice mounts and worked great. Here is a link to the mounts. You can also purchase them with tilts.

https://www.continuousresources.com/...nels-160w-200w

In regards to running wire the best options are a closet from ceiling to floor if you have it or next to the vent pipe. If you locate the vent pipe in the basement you will likely see an opening on one or both sides with wires all ready running up next to it. I ended up cutting out the back of a cabinet where the vent pipe was located so I could drill up through the roof. Also, be very careful when drilling through the roof as there are often wires you can hit and/or tear up.

Don't worry about hitting joists. Just use wood screws into the plywood. The mounts above come with 3M VHB tape on them (similar to AM Solar). My process was first to position the panel, taped it down to the roof with 3M VHB tape, screw in the wood screws (provided with mounts) and cover entire bracket with Dicor.
    Damon and Colleen
    2019 Ford F350 CC SB 6.7 FX4 Platinum
    5th Wheel Prep Puck System
    B&W Companion Non-Slider
    BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mounted 6 of the 200 + 25% panels. I figured I would buy from an American company in case I had any issues. This is the third RV I have owned that I mounted a system on. I first wired 2 panels in a string to the combiner box and I have 12 foot run of 2 guage fine strand copper wire from the combiner box to the Victron 150/100 charge controller. I couldn’t get over 700 watts out of a 1200 + 25% system and this was at 12 noon in July in California with no shade whatsoever. I then spoke to AM solar about it and they recommended running the panels individually to the combiner box. I did that still no more than 40 amps and 700 watts. I called Hightec solar and spoke to Jesse the owners Son and he had me individually test the panels. Low and behold 2 of the panels were only putting out about half of the advertised watts and volts. He then had me remove the 2 offending panels from the mounts and take pictures of the panel hooked to my meter to confirm the low voltage. I did that and he said he would send me 2 new panels. I thought great a company that backs their product. Well a year later and about 50 texts and phone calls later still no panels. He keeps telling me they have been shipped or I thought those had shipped. So the fact is they do not back their product and they are sub par performing panels. I spent a ton of money on this project All Victron equipment 150/100 charge controller, 3000 watt inverter charger, battery monitor all remote panel controls, 600 amp hours of lithium batteries not to mention the many hours of labor and at the end of the day it is only as good as the weakest link in this case the sub par solar panels made by Lowtec solar.
    2019 Momentum 351m. 1200 watts solar, Victron Inverter/charger, Battery monitor, 150/100 solar charge controller, 3 170 ah Renogy LIPO batteries. 2017 Ram 3500 SRW SB wireless 1 airbags. Reese Gooseball, B&W turnover ball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast