User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What issues did you have after you brought your new Grand Design home?

Hi! We are ready to purchase a 311BHS, and are looking at new and used.

I've seen folks mention that buying one that is slightly used will help make sure "all the kinks are worked out".
    - How likely are we to have kinks to work out with a brand new rig?
    - For those who purchased your Grand Design new, what work did you need to have done on it in the first 3 months (or first few trips out)?
    - Did you have to delay picking it up because of issues you found during your inspection/walk-through?

Our plan is to buy one off the lot in the next week or two, then be ready to head out across the country by mid-February and after reading stories about issues with new rigs, I'm not sure how realistic this is.

Thanks!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a crap shoot. The only issue I experienced was a 2017 wheel bearing leak on the Lippert chassis axle. Lippert repaired the issue under recalls and warranty.
    I previously had a Forest River Cardinal that had significant problems. Main problem was a leaking roof that led to many repairs to the interior. Cardinal stepped up to that and more that satisfactory did the work.
    I am extremely happy with my 29RS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had absolutely no issues with our 2017 Reflection when we picked it up, or for the next year and a half for that matter. Then we had a slide motor die, which was fixed in my drive way by a mobile tech from my dealer under warranty. On the other hand, the Trail Cruiser I purchased new in 2006 was a whole different experience. Apparently plumbing can be put together with no glue or plumbers putty and pass inspection
    Greg & Lisa (and the Yorkies - Rocky & Adrian)
    Winnipeg, MB
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 29RS
    2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnybm View Post
    Hi! We are ready to purchase a 311BHS, and are looking at new and used.

I've seen folks mention that buying one that is slightly used will help make sure "all the kinks are worked out".
    - How likely are we to have kinks to work out with a brand new rig?
    - For those who purchased your Grand Design new, what work did you need to have done on it in the first 3 months (or first few trips out)?
    - Did you have to delay picking it up because of issues you found during your inspection/walk-through?

Our plan is to buy one off the lot in the next week or two, then be ready to head out across the country by mid-February and after reading stories about issues with new rigs, I'm not sure how realistic this is.

Thanks!
    Relative to used - when we bought ours after the original owners used it just once, the only item he was aware of was that the radio did not have any station reception. Turns out that the antenna was not hooked up at build. He had the selling dealer mobile unit take care of it.

I am quite meticulous so after our first season of use we had a number of items needed attention. Since GDRV was a brand new company then, I anticipated some things would need review/correction. Other than the fridge not cooling enough (they replaced the fridge) the other items were all minor. GDRV took care of all things through a dealer of my choice. This has been the much appreciated and valued GDRV difference.....a high level of direct customer/owner service between we owners and the company. Stuff happens, the key is what happens next. GDRV has rung the bell over and over.

If the original owner (if you go the used route) has knowledge of RVs and is attentive to having things right......you s/b gtg with the bugs being worked out. If on the other than the original owner did not know "sheet from shinola", abused the RV, or just did not really care or pay attention to things.....then a new game.

Certainly things can and will come up That's just part of the current RV less than robust build and components world.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought a new 397 TH Toyhauler spring of 2017.
    Since then I've had two substantial issues.
    1. Hydraulic ram on L.R. Slide went out,
    (a Lippert product) after several attempts by LPI to send the correct replacement I spoke with Grand Design personnel, they pulled the correct cylinder off a unit and overnighted it to me.
    By this time I had run up some large costs with a mobile tech trying to get it fixed which I was paying for out of pocket, several thousand dollars.
    Once it was corrected I again contacted GD, who had pre approved me getting it fixed.
    Reported the cost to them at which time they requested that I take pictures of the receipts and email to them.
    Received a check for total cost within a few days.
    An understatement to say I was surprised, shocked actually.
    The second issue was even more costly, again GD stepped up.
    Can not praise GD and their personnel enough, great company, great people.
    I realize my post does not specifically address your question but wanted to take the opportunity to express my appreciation of the brand and their willingness to support their customers.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had our 337RLS delivered last spring. Not a single issue! Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a used 2016 Reflection 303rls last year and had to replace wheel bearing seals and work on running new co-ax cable to front room to make Dish Playmaker work. I am very pleased with the unit and would buy again. It heats and cools much better than the Keystone Outback it replaced.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New 2019 in May - no issues.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with me!

I was getting nervous reading reviews at one of the dealers we're shopping at. So many people were complaining about dropping all this money for a new RV, only to not be able to enjoy it because it's stuck in the shop for months.

We were thinking that unless we bought one that had been out a few times already, we'd end up having to push our trip back to wait for all of the "new RV fixes" to be taken care of.

Really glad I found this forum, and thanks again for your responses!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2019 Solitude, 4 months old and about 2000 miles towing. Only issue was the entry door was little stiff and dealer adjusted, works perfect. Only other issue was my fault, see the " it happened to me thread and my table leaf"
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast