User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yosemite NP Trip

Thinking of a western loop trip to include Yosemite NP. Using the Good Sam trip planner I see several height restriction at 10'3" and others at 12"4". I have an Imagine 2970 that is 11"2" tall. The one 10'3" clearance restriction really limits where I can go in the park and how I can enter. I was planning to come in from the West. also considered a route from Lake Tahoe. Never been there before, so I don't know what I may be getting into. Does anyone have any routing suggestions? Also Fishing Creek campground is close for renovation in 2019, It is the only site in the park that can take the 2970 plus TV, Any recommendations for alternate campsite close by outside the park. That wa I could unhitch and visit the park in my TV (2010 Tundra Dbl Cab)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are thinking about going to Yosemite this spring. We need to get on it and make some reservation. Are you headed up the coast?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are working our was down from the North to Yosemite on a 2 month+ trip. Starting in NE Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Karen View Post
    Thinking of a western loop trip to include Yosemite NP. Using the Good Sam trip planner I see several height restriction at 10'3" and others at 12"4". I have an Imagine 2970 that is 11"2" tall. The one 10'3" clearance restriction really limits where I can go in the park and how I can enter. I was planning to come in from the West. also considered a route from Lake Tahoe. Never been there before, so I don't know what I may be getting into. Does anyone have any routing suggestions? Also Fishing Creek campground is close for renovation in 2019, It is the only site in the park that can take the 2970 plus TV, Any recommendations for alternate campsite close by outside the park. That wa I could unhitch and visit the park in my TV (2010 Tundra Dbl Cab)
    Last spring we stayed at Yosemite Lakes RV resort , in our Reflection fifth wheel. You can get into the park via El Portal and there is a campground there. Campgrounds inside would have few sites to accommodate a trailer and are very difficult to book. There are several tunnels on 120 approaching the park from the NE that I couldn’t pass with the trailer so we drove in each day from the CG in the truck.
    Coming from the East across the pass on 120 is good but be aware it opened while we were there in late May. Also we ran into road closures outside the park that led to a long and “interesting “ detour on farm roads to the west of the park. 49 north of mid pines was closed. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. It does seem that staying outside the park is our most likely option. I'll check out the RV park you suggested. Plotting various routes now. Starting in NE Pennsylvania with stops in Rocky Mtn NP, Jackson Hole/Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier NP and Banff Canada, then a couple stops in Washington & Oregon, then about 4 stops in CA including Yosemite and Lake Tahoe, then will working our way east through Utah & CO heading back to PA. We have already seen Bryce Canyon and Zion Natl park as well as Grand Canyon and Mesa Verde 2 times. Not sure we want to do them again on this trip. We lived in Aurora Colorado for a few years and took a trip to Co, Ar & Ut a few years ago. We did do a quick northern trip last year to SD for our church and saw the Badlands, Rushmore, Custer SP and Crazy Horse monument. WE will likely be heading to SD again in March to set up residency. We are selling our house and going full time while we still can.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Karen View Post
    Thanks for the input. It does seem that staying outside the park is our most likely option. I'll check out the RV park you suggested. Plotting various routes now. Starting in NE Pennsylvania with stops in Rocky Mtn NP, Jackson Hole/Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier NP and Banff Canada, then a couple stops in Washington & Oregon, then about 4 stops in CA including Yosemite and Lake Tahoe, then will working our way east through Utah & CO heading back to PA. We have already seen Bryce Canyon and Zion Natl park as well as Grand Canyon and Mesa Verde 2 times. Not sure we want to do them again on this trip. We lived in Aurora Colorado for a few years and took a trip to Co, Ar & Ut a few years ago. We did do a quick northern trip last year to SD for our church and saw the Badlands, Rushmore, Custer SP and Crazy Horse monument. WE will likely be heading to SD again in March to set up residency. We are selling our house and going full time while we still can.
    If you still have room in your plans try today get to the Olympic Peninsula, Oregon and Washington coast is beautiful. We came north from San Diego, sequoia, Yosemite, San Francisco, Crater Lake. Also a 2 month trip from MA! Already planning to go back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tortise,

We were targeting Olympic NP, Mt Rainier Crater Lake, and Sequoia. We really aren't in a hurry since we will be full timing. Just need to keep cost low as much as possible. We have a home base in the Poconos in PA but can be used as a permanent residence. You get away with staying 51 wks a year. Lake Adventure in Dingmans Ferry PA. You buy deeded a lot for about $6500 including all fees. Also $2500 association dues per year. Includes road & utility maint. Gated community with 24 hr roving security (always have a presence), full hook up 30 & 50 amp serv including elec usage. Still need to supply your propane. Many back up to 17000 acres of state game land. See some wild life roaming thru park, Deer, Bear, Bobcats, Turkey and occasional Coyote. Bird watcher paradise. Lake Adventure has been there 30+ years. Pool, Lake Clubhouse, fishing and boating(Row or elec only) tennis courts. Could use some updating, but see some of that going on. It fell on hard times during the economic downturn but seem to be on the way back. Place is about 10 Miles from Lake Wallenpaupak where there is power boating and fishing. When we aren't on the road that's where we will be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are thinking of heading from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite, you might consider heading over to Highway 395 and head south down the eastern side of the Sierra's. Gorgeous views and lots of places to stay. We live in the Lake Tahoe area and when we need a Yosemite fix we head down 395 to the June Lake area and stay at Oh Ridge campground on June Lake. It's a great base camp. Your about 12 miles south of Lee Vining where the Tioga Pass Road (120) heads west about 20 miles up into Yosemite. You enter into Yosemite at a higher elevation around 9500 (the High Sierra's), less people and absolutely beautiful. If you want to head to Yosemite Valley its about an hour drive from Tuolumne Meadows in the park. It's an easy day trip without your trailer behind you and lots to do on the eastern side of the Sierra's. If your route from there is heading east, it's also faster starting out on that side, instead of the western side.
    Last edited by TahoeTrekker; 01-20-2019 at 04:45 PM.
    Brian and Paula- Truckee, CA
    2015 Reflection 303
    2017 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummings Turbo, Aisin HD Transmission
    B&W Companion Slider, Firestone Air Bags, Compressor with wireless remote

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many Years ago when visiting the area with my family we took a side trip east of the park and found a place called "Devils Post Pile". Its off of 395 near Mammoth Lakes per the map. I thought it was pretty cool at the time. Now it looks like there is a shuttle service.

Just some info.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have lived the large majority of my life a couple hours from Yosemite. It's one of those parks that you want to experience each of the four seasons at least once in your life. However, it is not the park to be pulling any kind of trailer as you would be very limited in where you can stop.

There are a number of RV parks near each of the four entrances. You can look at RV Park Review or Trip Advisor for parks near Groveland, Coulterville, Mariposa or Oakhurst. There's also an Escapees park near Oakhurst..... http://www.parksierra.net/. If you plan on going in 2019 you better make your reservations now! Do to being a very high tourist area and very limited space, many people make reservations a year in advance. Geographically it's a much smaller and much more congested park than Yellowstone but also more beautiful with all the many huge water falls, granite mountains, etc. I would suggest going in the spring when all the falls are at full flow.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast