User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Grand Design - need help

Hi All and thanks for welcoming me into your group. I am downsizing from a Newmar Class A gas rig (yes I know I'm crazy. work situation) to "something" and Grand Design has really caught me eye. Just as with the Class A, I will be limited on what I can buy and store in my garage. It is only 34 ft long.

The 29RS seems to be our choice so far. In reading some of the posts here, it seems a lot of you talk about things you "negotiated" for in the price of your rig. Can you give me ideas of the kinds of things you suggest we negotiate for when buying a Grand Design? Thanks for your help.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group.

Slide toppers, golf cart batteries with battery boxes, better mattress (If the stock one sucks, like most RV mattresses do), hitch, MaxAir fans, onboard generator all come to mind.

Good Luck!!

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second A/C if it is not standard. It is on Solitude line but I'm not sure on newer Reflections. In 2017 I'm fairly sure it was optional.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hogcard View Post
    Hi All and thanks for welcoming me into your group. I am downsizing from a Newmar Class A gas rig (yes I know I'm crazy. work situation) to "something" and Grand Design has really caught me eye. Just as with the Class A, I will be limited on what I can buy and store in my garage. It is only 34 ft long.

The 29RS seems to be our choice so far. In reading some of the posts here, it seems a lot of you talk about things you "negotiated" for in the price of your rig. Can you give me ideas of the kinds of things you suggest we negotiate for when buying a Grand Design? Thanks for your help.
    One of the first installations I did was a hard-wired EMS (50 amp model). If you can get the dealer to install it at cost, muy bueno!

The bathroom fan (if it's the OEM model) was impossible for my DW to reach. A MaxFan replacement was also a mod I had to do. Not an essential mod, but I do like the remote control and being able to adjust the speed of the fan.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed my hard wired EMS 50 amp myself. This, to me, is a must addition. I also replaced the bedroom fan with a remote controlled fan. I did not change out the bathroom fan.
    My other mods were installing dimmer switches for all of my interior lighting. This eliminated lighting that was too bright.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morryde or Lippert Solid Steps
    http://www.morryde.com/products/194-...ory%2F12-steps
    or
    https://www.lci1.com/solid-step

Morryde suspension upgrade (CRE3000 or SRE4000)
    http://www.morryde.com/product-category/4-suspension

Keyless entry or at least a better keypad for the door.
    https://www.rvlock.com/

Here are some sites with mods that will give you some ideas. Some of these are DYI and others could be a dealer negotiate

https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-upgrades/

http://rvroadtrip.us/mods.php
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slide toppers is the only thing we negotiated for. Unless you dealer has very good service I would not suggest having them do any electrical work. Some dealers service workers are incompetent. If you could do some installs yourself then you could try to get them to throw in some items.
    Maxxair vent covers was the other thing I had them throw in.

Brian
    Last edited by Country Campers; 01-19-2019 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    One of the first installations I did was a hard-wired EMS (50 amp model). If you can get the dealer to install it at cost, muy bueno!

The bathroom fan (if it's the OEM model) was impossible for my DW to reach. A MaxFan replacement was also a mod I had to do. Not an essential mod, but I do like the remote control and being able to adjust the speed of the fan.
    Howard our 297RSTS has a wall switch for the fan in the bathroom. Good thing because my DW would never be able to reach the fan switch either.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be prepared to 'adjust' your expectations when moving from a Newmar motorhome to a trailer. We sold a Country Coach motorhome and bought a GD Solitude since we decided to stop the road travel and use the 5th wheel in one place in Myrtle Beach, SC. Other than maybe some custom built trailers, IMO no mass produced trailer will approach the quality of materials and build as your Newmar coach. Trailers are built with the lightest weight and most cheap material they can get away with, and our Solitude is no exception. Plumbing fixtures are flimsy, most of the 'wood' is wrapped in vinyl, etc. If you look behind and under at wiring and plumbing work, it is a mess with no attempt to route things with reason or secure wires, water lines, etc.

Grand Design may be as good as most but just be prepared to adjust your expectations for overall material and build quality coming from a coach like a Newmar.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Howard our 297RSTS has a wall switch for the fan in the bathroom. Good thing because my DW would never be able to reach the fan switch either.

Rob
    Sorry, my post wasn't clear. I meant the knob to open the vent. The fan's power switch in the 315 is on the wall, too, but it doesn't vent very well with the lid closed! It's that knob (to open and close the vent) that my DW couldn't reach.

On a side note, the wall switch becomes a non-factor once the upgrade is installed as we leave the switch on all the time and control the on/off through the remote.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast