User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emergency Brake Engaged

BLUF: The MoreRyde disc breaks I got really will stop you cold when the break safety wire is pulled out.

Just a bit of background.

We made plans about 2 months ago to take a couple of weeks off the last few weeks in Jan and head to the Blue Angle's Campground in Pensacola FL. Last weekend we got 6+ inches of snow in IN, and the Camp Atterbury Campground (where we are staying, and I work at Camp Atterbury) didn't plow the campground roads until late on Monday. Because they didn't plow, we had solid Ice on the campground roads, and we're planning on leaving in 4 days = Friday (today). Now I've got a 4WD truck, but I've also gotten it stuck in 2" of snow when I pulled my 5th wheel off of my driveway and parked it on my grass. Granted there wasn't any gravel base to work down to but it got stuck good. Had to leave the 5th wheel where it was (well out of the way thank God) until the ground froze so I could move it where I wanted it. So with that experience I ordered a set of tire chains for my dual wheels and installed them. Now because of the warmer weather = mid 30's and rainy, we maybe could have gotten out without the chains but I'd installed them on Wednesday evening so I used them to get me out of the park on onto the paved road. Took them off as soon as I got to the pavement. So, what does this have to do with my safety breaks, nothing ... just we wanted to get out of IN because the area is expecting 8-10" of snow and 40+ mph winds tomorrow, and a high of 14 and low of -5 on Saturday and I wasn't about to let the ice road stop me.

So, we're headed south to enjoy the nice weather and we've both just purchased new bicycles. Well Carla got a bike = Specialized Roll, and i got a trike = Catrike Road AR. I decided to put them both in the bed of the truck vs. getting a hitch (yea we all know GD doesn't put receiver hitches on their Solitude's ... something they need to do) and I don't like having bikes on the back of the trailer where they pick up all the road grime so I take of the front wheel of her bike, and all three wheels on my trike and lay them in the bed of the truck. They both lay below the toneau cover so they can easily be secured when the truck is unhooked if we don't plan on riding them where we happen to be. So, we're pulling off the road into the campground entrance and the truck stops like it hit something. I get out, look around and see nothing, jump back in put the truck in 4wd and try to move, the wheels spin on the gravel. I then look at the dash and it says something like hitch wiring problem. Oh, I immediately realize what happened because when I hooked the break up I saw it draped over the bike and thought humm it might get caught up in the bike and that wouldn't be good. Lucky for us there wasn't anyone behind us so no issues as the 5th wheel was still on the road (4 lane). I hooked up the emergency switch and off we go.

We decided we'll get a command strip, one of the ones that have a latch on it and stick it to the 5th wheel hitch so the emergency break cable can't get stuck on anything in the truck bed.

Just thought I'd pass this tid bit along in case someone else has stuff in the bed of their truck that the emergency break wire could get caught on.

Happy camping.

Pete
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 05-15-2019 at 10:47 PM.
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While in Pensacola, don't miss the Navel air museum, and tour the light house. The Oar house restaurant is a great place for seafood and watch working boats in the bayou.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Be careful of the things you say and do
    for little eyes are watching you.
    Believe it or not, YOU are a role model.
    2019 Reflection 315 RLTS 2016 Ford F250 diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed one of these. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2BEA0640-E1BA-444E-9A85-7E9D12D6C1B8.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	841.2 KB 
ID:	17245
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ Ditto. One of the better and cheapest upgrades I’ve done. Never in the way and easy to use.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post

Thanks, this would do the job of keeping the cord out of the way nicely. I'll order one.

Pete
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Wrat View Post
    While in Pensacola, don't miss the Navel air museum, and tour the light house. The Oar house restaurant is a great place for seafood and watch working boats in the bayou.
    Thanks for the endorsements. We'd planned on tours of the Naval Air Museum and Light House, will add Oar House Restaurant to the list.

Pete
    Pete & Carla Nelson

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COLRetired View Post
    Thanks, this would do the job of keeping the cord out of the way nicely. I'll order one.

Pete
    You probably will want to order the 6', like in the photo. I thought the 4' would be ok (that they show online), but in most all cases, it is too short. I returned it for the 6'. Their measurements of length refer to a completely stretched out cable (not practical). It does the job well and stays out of the bed. Hope that saves you a return.
    Jim
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post

How or where do you install this? A pic might be helpful.
    Thanks
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    How or where do you install this? A pic might be helpful.
    Thanks
    Brian
    I have one too!

It just plugs in to the little break-away box.
    The product photo doesn’t show the plug.
    I use the 6 footer, but as you can see here, it only hangs down a couple feet.

Here’s mine:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just put one in the cart the GF will order it when she does the next Amazon order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast