We've had some really good discussion about this and it has been very informative. On a "normal" time to get back on the road day, we should take out time make sure everything is loaded properly, clean up the campground, pack everything, put the slides in, raise the back levelers, hook up and be off. But on those times where the park ranger or campground folks say "get out quick" then we load everything a quickly as possible, and hitch up while the DW is putting things up as fast as possible. The slides may be out, not recommended but it happens.

We were camping one Memorial day and the Rangers came through about 10pm telling everyone to pull their boats up to higher ground and get all vehicles as close the tt as possible and be ready to leave (since it was flooding badly around the area, they did not want us to leave until daybreak unless absolutely necessary). We made it though the night, but the next morning the rangers came by and said get out as soon as possible that the lake would be over the campgrounds in about an hour. While we were getting all of the stuff packed up, I hooked up with the slides out, stairs down, doors open, sewer and water still hooked up. Secured as much of the stuff in the truck and got out of there as water rose to about 5' of the tt.

So under normal circumstances the slides should be in, everything packed and then hitched up. Under "panic" circumstances do what you can to pack up, hitch up as fast as possible and follow the park rangers, campground owners, or your best judgement to make sure that you and your family are safe. At that time my tt was about 2 months old, but I would have left it in a heart beat if the water had risen to dangerous levels.