User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fifth wheel hitching

Is it ok to hitch up while the slides are still out? I’ve not done this yet but I get a little impatient with my DW prepping the inside.
    Chip and Janice, Mize Mississippi
    Retired USN MCPO 1998, Retired USPS 2011
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7 LB DRW
    B&W Companion

2017 F250 King Ranch 6.7
    2019 303RLS, Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 303 and bringing in the slides is one of the last things we do. I prefer to ensure the unit is level as possible prior to extending or retracting slides.

We have a very specific routine when it comes to hitching we follow which has served us well so far.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try never to move the unit with the slides out. I believe that this could damage them.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have learned to have patience , although DW will tell you otherwise , so I just wait outside and when the slides are pulled in I do the rest of my job.YMMV

Brian

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a huge fan of moving the slides unless the RV is set and level. It is my belief that my Momentum's frame will twist and wiggle when the RV is moved, not a lot, but some. So I avoid moving the RV with the slides out.

On the days when DW is dawdling I go inside and "help" her. This annoys the crap out her. Over a period of a couple of years she learned that to keep me out of her business she needed to match my efforts. On days that I have minimal hook up duties I will wash and dry the morning dishes to help her cut out some time from her routine.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Fifth wheel hitching

I agree with all points above.

Also, even though it’s not related to slides being level, this is related to “fifth wheel hitching”.

Don’t allow people to interrupt your procedure.

People are friendly and some never fail to walk up and start chatting with you right when you’re trying to hitch or unhitch, but they should understand.

This happens to us now and then and it happened recently when we were leaving. We had a couple walk up and start talking to us right as I was backing up into the hitch and of course DW stops what she’s doing because she’s a social butterfly, but I remained focused on the task at hand, so I probably appeared antisocial. I doubt they’re going to offer to pay for the damage when I miss a step, so they can wait.

I actually said aloud “sorry I can’t let anyone interrupt my process, be with y’all shortly”, then I continued until I was finished.

I do it this way because I have seen people make some bad mistakes because they were distracted. Like the guy that forgot to put the pin in and lock his B&W jaws. That kinda stuff happens pretty often but people usually blame someone else or say it was defective equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 01-19-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies and agree with everything as well. I did wait and brought the slides before hitching. I had thought by hooking with slides out it could have jarred something when making the connection. Forty three years of marriage, you’d think I would know better with my DW. Live and work on my patience. ��
    Chip and Janice, Mize Mississippi
    Retired USN MCPO 1998, Retired USPS 2011
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7 LB DRW
    B&W Companion

2017 F250 King Ranch 6.7
    2019 303RLS, Pullrite Superglide

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They move them with the slides out all day every day on every dealer lot. So long as you aren't dangerously out of level, which if you were you'd have difficulty getting unhitched or hitched, you should be fine.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Fifth wheel hitching

Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    They move them with the slides out all day every day on every dealer lot. So long as you aren't dangerously out of level, which if you were you'd have difficulty getting unhitched or hitched, you should be fine.
    I don’t think OP is concerned with moving the trailer with the slide out, but more of damaging the slide by moving it in while the trailer isn’t level.

And saying that dealers do it all the time doesn’t exactly make it sound safer.

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 01-19-2019 at 04:42 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I don’t think OP is concerned with moving the trailer with the slide out, but more of damaging the slide by moving it in while the trailer isn’t level.

And saying that dealers do it all the time doesn’t exactly make it sound safer.

LOL
    Surely you can't be speaking about the same dealers who say "Sure you can pull this with that".
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast