User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    Surely you can't be speaking about the same dealers who say "Sure you can pull this with that".
    Exactly.

There’s probably a top ten list of stupid things people did because the dealers said it was ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Exactly.

There’s probably a top ten list of stupid things people did because the dealers said it was ok.

I'll ignore the dealer false equivalences.

I don't see the reason for the drama on this.

We've put our slides out while hitched or have hitched with them open and picking stuff up still.

Never had an issue.

If you feel some kind of tolerance is exceeded by doing it please enlighten. I don't believe any damage what so ever is taking place.
    Last edited by Aridon; 01-19-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post

We've put our slides out while hitched or have hitched with them open and picking stuff up still.

Never had an issue.

If you feel some kind of tolerance is exceeded by doing it please enlighten. I don't believe any damage what so ever is taking place.
    No drama taken, but I have backed in to some pretty sporty COE and other sites where the 5th wheel was very far from level such as nose low, one side low and any combination there of etc. Knowing that the frame is likely experiencing some flex/torque, I would prefer not to transfer that flex/torque to the slides and motors while extending/retracting. Instead, I prefer to take any potential stress off before extending/retracting the slides, especially since it only adds a few minutes. Instead I look at the "if it is foreseeable, it likely preventable". JMHO, no drama intended.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chip, first of all welcome to the GD forum. As you can tell, if it isn't carved in stone in a manual, there will be lots of differing opinions. You have to make your own call. You asked for options so here is mine.... Slides are pretty delicate pieces of equipment. When in use (extended) there is quite a bit of weight hanging out on some less than robust rack and gear setups. Notice when you run the slides out how they wiggle and shake till in place. And, they should only be run in and out with the RV level. Hitching up is seldom done level and sometimes with a pretty good lick. Be patient, help spousal unit with the tidying up, secure everything, run slides in, lock doors, hookup and enjoy the ride home reflecting on the good times and planning the next.
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    No drama taken, but I have backed in to some pretty sporty COE and other sites where the 5th wheel was very far from level such as nose low, one side low and any combination there of etc. Knowing that the frame is likely experiencing some flex/torque, I would prefer not to transfer that flex/torque to the slides and motors while extending/retracting. Instead, I prefer to take any potential stress off before extending/retracting the slides, especially since it only adds a few minutes. Instead I look at the "if it is foreseeable, it likely preventable". JMHO, no drama intended.
    I'm with you on this. I don't operate the slides unless all the jacks are down. This would prevent any kind of hitching or unhitching. May be no big deal but with all the slide complaints, I figure I will prevent or minimize any issues with the slide operation on my coach. The slides don't come out until the jacks are down, and then, they come in before the jacks go up...then, it gets hitched up.
    Last edited by Rapid1; 01-19-2019 at 07:01 PM.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Even the Schwintek and Lippert manufacturer's operating manuals say "To optimize slide-out actuation, park coach on solid and level ground."

I'm not going to risk damaging the slide or motors because I'm in a hurry. Trailer is leveled before it goes in or out.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have stated previously I set & level the unit prior to extending the slides and retract the slides prior to retracting the rear jacks for hitching. I believe this is best practice and it is routine for me now. I’m not sure what if any risk you assume operating the slides in an out of level unit.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Exactly.

That would be a great thread topic.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always try to be level before I move the slides but there are many times I run the slides in or out while connected to the truck. I have at times connected the truck the night before if I plan on leaving the site really early in the morning. I have also stopped many times at rest stops for lunch and have put some of the slides out so we can get to the fridge and get the table out so we have a place to sit. I really don't think it makes any difference if you are connected or not as long as you are pretty level when you move the slides.

I do believe the slides should be either all the way in or all the way out. I don't believe it is a good idea to use the slides or move the trailer if the slides are not up tight either in or out.
    Last edited by warsw1; 01-19-2019 at 11:25 PM.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    That would be a great thread topic.
    Don't tempt me Ken!

lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast