User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Shackle Issue

Hello, new to the forum and new to Grand Designs. I bought a 2019 Reflection 29RS double axle and prior to any trips, I pulled off the wheels/tires and had them balanced and greased all the zerks on the suspension. The trailer came with the Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension installed. Unfortunately when I put all the tires back on the rig and lowered it down, the shackles are not sitting properly. I raised the trailer up and down several times and can not get them back to the factory setting with both shackles sitting vertically. We leave for our first trip on Tuesday so any ideas how to get this corrected will be greatly appreciated. I have included a photo of the current condition which is the same on both sides of the trailer as well as a photo of how it should look according to the Dexter installation guide. This forum has been a fantastic source of information and hope one of the members has some helpful hints on my issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Current Condition.jpg   Install Manual.jpg  

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you need to lift weight off , then take a pry bar and flip the shackle back to proper orientation. Should move fairly easily once unloaded.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlie, do you think I just need to take the wheels off of the one axle the needs the shackle flipped or both? I think if I unload both, both the shackles drop and hang the way I don't want them to.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post166880
    "If you don't have a jack, backing or pulling the one tire with the correct shackles up on to blocking should twist the equalizer far enough away from the spring with the flipped shackles, that it will flip back.
    Rob "

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/inv...hackles.92368/
    "use a hydraulic jack on the spring in front of the reversed shackle, Jacking it up will spread the spring from the frame and the shackle will invert when it overcenters. Using a bar will work, however the tension on the spring will transfer to the bar when it overcenters and will want to whip the bar in your direction. The jack just falls out. It helps to jack the vehicle up also, take the height off the spring."

http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...ed-4020-2.html
    "It only happens if both tires on the same side are of the ground, at the same time. However it doesn't always happen. The equalizer swings forward or backwards ,causing a shackle turn under the equalizer.
    The fix is raising both wheels back up and using a pry bar to straighten the equalizer so both shackles are up. Then lower them back down."
    Last edited by gbkims; 01-19-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post166880
    "If you don't have a jack, backing or pulling the one tire with the correct shackles up on to blocking should twist the equalizer far enough away from the spring with the flipped shackles, that it will flip back.
    Rob "
    I'm with Gene on the first link. I would be curious how long your shackles are center to center? (Just because I've modeled short shackles in CAD on Lippert Equalizer to see what would happen... they flipped. NOTE: This was a Lippert setup and not Dexter, so mounting dimensions are probably different.).

So for my .10 ¥ to add to the above link. The equalizer and shackle length is what can cause this problem. What caused the rear axle to drop was the equalizer was rotated clockwise, enough pull the rear shackle fairly straight and the weight of the rear axle pivoted it below center. Putting blocks under the front tire or something similar and letting the trailer back down to rotate the equalizer clockwise again may allow the shackle to pass through center again. Then you may need to jack the rear axle slightly to keep it from passing through center again when you pull the front blocks back out. Its kind of like driving over a tall speed bump. That may also fix the problem but with a big bang when the axle flips.

Saw this happen quiet a few times at a trailer manufacturer I used to work at.

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help. Turned out it was easier than I thought. I put a jack under the rear axle at the leaf spring attachment and jacked the tire up off the ground about 1.5 - 2” and BANG the shackle for the front axle snapped back into the correct position. I must say, the BANG is a little unsettling but sounds like from the different posts it’s normal. Glad it was an easy correction. This forum is great for all the information and helpful people. Thanks again for the info.