User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsledz View Post
    Attachment 17285 I have been snowmobiling most of my life. Now that I am nearing 60 I have found and built old Bombardier snow coaches and now I just warm the rig up, hang my coat on the coat hook and go for a ride.
    Now those are my kind of snow machine! The one with the porthole windows is so cool I want one just to have it. What powers coaches like this?

I've snowmobiled a couple times on borrowed sleds, lots of fun. We were racing back to the truck on a packed surface, had 'er set up in a nice slide around a corner at about 40 mph, about to pass my buddy when he brake checked me. I tapped the brake and crashed so hard it knocked the track off and destroyed the cowl. Had to drag it back to the truck. He brake checked me on purpose and it was his sled, so he let me off the hook. Sure was a fun day, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From left to right, 1940 Bombardier B-7 (7 passenger) with the original flat head Ford V-8 and 3 speed on the column, 1949 Bombardier B-12 (was 12 passenger but I made it into a truck) Late model 300 Ford 6 cyl and automatic trans, 1948 Bombardier B-12 (12 passenger) with the original flat head 6 Chrysler and 3 speed on the column, 1973 Bombardier R-18 (18 passenger) with original Chrysler 318 V-8 and 3 speed on the column.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From left to right, 1940 Bombardier B-7 (7 passenger) with the original flat head Ford V-8 and 3 speed on the column, 1949 Bombardier B-12 (was 12 passenger but I made it into a truck) Late model 300 Ford 6 cyl and automatic trans, 1948 Bombardier B-12 (12 passenger) with the original flat head 6 Chrysler and 3 speed on the column, 1973 Bombardier R-18 (18 passenger) with original Chrysler 318 V-8 and 3 speed on the column.
    I have hands on experience with the Ford and Chrysler flatheads, especially the Ford. Here's a pic of one I built.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180825_112219.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	17287 Aw Geez, sorry about the upside down pic.

Might be worth a trip to Maine just to see about a ride!
    Last edited by Chiefblueman; 01-21-2019 at 10:53 AM. Reason: upside down photo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice flat head. They sound so good. Here is the flat head in the 1940 BombardierClick image for larger version. 

Name:	b7-8.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	17289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b7-9.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	17290

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'v ridden in some of those old Bombers ice fishing on Lake of the Woods. Not nearly as nice as yours though.

This is from Lake Kabetogama a few years back.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0452.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	17291
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attachment 17285 I have been snowmobiling most of my life. Now that I am nearing 60 I have found and built old Bombardier snow coaches and now I just warm the rig up, hang my coat on the coat hook and go for a ride.
    That is one very cool picture......very nice !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oldsledz - Those are amazing! Their original powertrains are even more amazing!!

Thanks for sharing.
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice flat head. They sound so good. Here is the flat head in the 1940 BombardierClick image for larger version. 

Name:	b7-8.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	17289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b7-9.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	17290
    Oldsledz, that's beautiful!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN-Mark View Post
    Too cold to camp in Minneasota but that’s why we have winter toys. We just got 10-12 inches of snow not to far from us so we are getting the snowmobiles out for a test run tomorrow. In two weeks we will be going to northern MN, Rainy Lake area (the other side of the lake is Canada) for a few days of riding. Then a week after that another snowmobile trip. Can’t wait until camping season arrives but until then always hoping for more snow!

Any other snowmobilers in our GD family’s?

Mark
    Mark - at the outset, I apologize for sharing my history (don't currently own and ride) but this thread has "old' memories for me as I used to both ride and race. Here are some vintage moments.

My brother and I started riding on family friends Arctic Cat Puma and Panther back in he late 60s. Recall riding a rancher friend's Polaris TX in the late 60s too. Also rode other friends mustard sleds over a year and my brother's Panther in my first oval race at age 14 as I recall. I bought my first AC El Tigre 400 the next year as a Sophomore in HS to race in a Cross Country event and in other local and regional oval events. Did quite well.

Got more serious buying a Yamaha GPX 338 and then 2 SRX 340s over 3 seasons to race the circuit in USSA oval ice races in the plains and Midwest Division and in a local cross country event. All three sleds won and placed in the top 3 in many local, regional, and circuit events over 4 years. The SRXs in particular were stout racing sleds and we did very well !

Notable top events back the day were the Dayco Holiday Spectacular, Alexandria, MN; International Falls, MN; St Paul. MN Fairgrounds, and then invited to Eagle River, WI for the World Championships. In my best year at Eagle River, after winning my heat, quarter and semi events, was leading the final on lap 3 and pulling away when my clutch blew up going into the corner at about 80 MPH. Yup that was interesting. Still a great year finishing in the top 10 in points out of several hundred racers in the Midwest Division. The early to mid 70s and early to mid 80s were incredible for serious amateur, professional, and factory oval ice racing.

Got serious with work and girlfriend (now wife) Carol after college. Sold last SRX and racing Yamaha YZ motorcycle to buy baby room stuff.

Road sleds a few times over next several years the last time being about two decades ago in the Black Hills trail system and meadows. Going to do it again next month but now with our daughter and SIL riding sleds rather than riding double with mom and dad. Looking forward to it !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Dan, sounds like you were really into it at one time. I bought a couple sleds when my boys were young. They would always get their homework done right after school so we could ride when I got home from work. Seems like we always had more snow then. We would ride to a hamburger place, eat, and ride home. About a 50 mile round trip and they would be back home in bed by 10. Did this a couple times a week for most of the winter a lot of years. The boys are out on their own now but I still ride locally as much as possible when there is snow. Looks like this winter might be another bust around the Twin Cities though.

I have never snowmobiled in the Back Hills but would love to do it sometime. I have ridden some of the trails in a SxS and could stop thinking how much fun they would be on a sled.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast