User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to get bearings maintenance?

It has been a year since we have had our RV and last trip was this summer in total maybe 6,000 miles on it. I had thought when we went to the dealer for the Warranty Forever work that they would repack the bearings. I was wrong, it was just a visual check. So, where can I go other than to a dealer to get this done? I plan to also change to Goodyear Endurance before we leave for the summer. Would the tire shop also be able to do this work?
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tire shop might not want to take the time. If you have access to a mobile tech they could do it on site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beachcamper - You really want a qualified mechanic to do this for you, if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. Removing the hubs, cleaning out the old grease and even replacing the seals does not require a great deal of skill. Where the "skill" comes in is evaluating the bearings and races to determine if there are any potential future problems. Minor scoring, discolouring and even the "feel" of the bearing are where you need experienced eyes and hands. If a bearing and race need to be replaced (and they should always be replaced together) this is uncovered during bearing repacking, is more complicated and requires the right tools and the right knowledge.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 01-20-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea! I actually have a mobile tech coming to replace a valve and cable that is stuck open. GD was gracious enough to pay for labor and send parts even though I am on 2 months past my one year warranty. I will ask him if he does this kind of work. Do not have the tools to do this here and rather have someone that knows what to look for do it. I will observe and see how involved it is when I get it done. Might be brave enough to tackle it myself in the future.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty tough. There are so many wanta-be bearing experts out there. I had mega-problems with my first 5th wheel. What I soon realized is there aren't to many techs out there that actually understand axles, bearings, wheels, and torque. I found two places that really get it, Mor-Ryde in Indiana, and Southwest Wheel (trailer manufacturer) in San Antonio, TX. There are others in the world, but you must be self educated in order to weed out the "routine" and the true professionals.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcamper View Post
    It has been a year since we have had our RV and last trip was this summer in total maybe 6,000 miles on it. I had thought when we went to the dealer for the Warranty Forever work that they would repack the bearings. I was wrong, it was just a visual check. So, where can I go other than to a dealer to get this done? I plan to also change to Goodyear Endurance before we leave for the summer. Would the tire shop also be able to do this work?
    Just picked up our 297RSTS from the service department at Blue Dog RV. They have a spring special that included a wheel bearing repack along with other services.
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm lucky. I have a truck and auto tire shop 2 miles from my house. One of their mechanics specializes in brake and axle repair.

They even worked with me and Lippert / Grand Design to get my brakes replaced.

If you are every in Oregon and need tires, brakes or bearing replaced find:

Schmunks Tire and Auto Service Center
    Address: 2650 Main St, Springfield, OR 97477
    Phone: 541-746-1605
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    It's pretty tough. There are so many wanta-be bearing experts out there. I had mega-problems with my first 5th wheel. What I soon realized is there aren't to many techs out there that actually understand axles, bearings, wheels, and torque. I found two places that really get it, Mor-Ryde in Indiana, and Southwest Wheel (trailer manufacturer) in San Antonio, TX. There are others in the world, but you must be self educated in order to weed out the "routine" and the true professionals.
    That's very good info D2Reid thanks! Southwest Wheel is about 10 miles down the road from me. I may take mine to them before the summer season hits, let them grease her all up!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most good auto/truck repair shops can do it assuming they have space on their lot. Have not done the new unit yet but I had my old one done at an axle/frame shop. Be careful with the on site stuff and make sure no dirt or stuff is blowing around where the work is being done. A tarp should be under everything just in case something drops.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a very simple job. I'm very fortunate that my father taught me how to do these things. I personally feel more confidant doing it myself rather than have others do it. I haven't looked but, I'm sure that YouTube has some very good videos on how to repack wheel bearings and replace seals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast