User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

31MB Tow Vehicle questions

Hi All, Looking for some guidance/ opinions on proposed tow vehicle for a GD31 MB. I ran the numbers (thanks Howard for pointing me in the right direction!) using the Ford sales guide. I also ran them using the template from Changin Gears, and then again from a 3rd site that my google machine took me to. All of them tell me I am good to go with a comfortable safety margin (+/-20%) . However, after rooting around this site, it seems like everybody and their brother has a big ol' dually diesel. This makes me question both my math and my truck envy. I am looking at a 2018 Ram 2500, 6.4L, CC, SB w/ 4.10axle. I know the '19's are close, but I don't like buying year 1 of anything new and I have found a pretty good deal. I initially was looking at Chevy/ GMC's, but the HP and torque difference was enough to make me look hard a the Rams.

Anyhow, anybody with an opinion, or better yet, pulling something similar with something similar, please let me know your thoughts on this.

Ram specs are GVWR 10k, GCWR 22800, Pay 3300, Tow 15630, Curb wt 6529, Rear Axle Base 2844, GAWR 6000. GD Specs UVW 9726, Hitch 1820, GVWR 11995.

Thanks and make it a great day!

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chuck!

Are the specs for the RAM that you quote for an actual vehicle on the lot (from the yellow Sticker), or are they from a brochure or similar document? The reason I ask is that 3300 lbs seems high for a 3/4 Ton; numbers in the 2000-2500 range are more common.

If 3300 is for an actual vehicle, then I concur you should be fine. If it's a brochure number, keep in mind that any options (4WD, trim packages, etc.) will reduce the available Payload. Even so, you should be OK, since 3300 lbs is almost into the Payload range of 1T SRW Diesels.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Dave above^^^^ check the actual door sticker on the truck you are looking at. The 31MB could have as much as 2200# pin weight or more.

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Payload number looks suspicious...

Quote Originally Posted by chuck91 View Post
    Hi All, Looking for some guidance/ opinions on proposed tow vehicle for a GD31 MB. I ran the numbers (thanks Howard for pointing me in the right direction!) using the Ford sales guide. I also ran them using the template from Changin Gears, and then again from a 3rd site that my google machine took me to. All of them tell me I am good to go with a comfortable safety margin (+/-20%) . However, after rooting around this site, it seems like everybody and their brother has a big ol' dually diesel. This makes me question both my math and my truck envy. I am looking at a 2018 Ram 2500, 6.4L, CC, SB w/ 4.10axle. I know the '19's are close, but I don't like buying year 1 of anything new and I have found a pretty good deal. I initially was looking at Chevy/ GMC's, but the HP and torque difference was enough to make me look hard a the Rams.

Anyhow, anybody with an opinion, or better yet, pulling something similar with something similar, please let me know your thoughts on this.

Ram specs are GVWR 10k, GCWR 22800, Pay 3300, Tow 15630, Curb wt 6529, Rear Axle Base 2844, GAWR 6000. GD Specs UVW 9726, Hitch 1820, GVWR 11995.

Thanks and make it a great day!
    I agree with the previous posts that the 3300 payload number is suspicious. It matches what is posted for the RAM on their website--so it probably is *not* what is actually on the truck. The manufacturers post a payload number for a stripped unit--every option that you add subtracts from that payload number. That's why the sticker on the driver doorjamb is different from what is in the brochure. There are a multitude of configuration differences so the actual payload available changes from truck-to-truck. It is imperative to look at the sticker on a truck configured to your specfications (or very close) to get the available payload.

The difference between the brochure and the actual payload available is exactly what bit me when I bought my Ford F-250. I used the brochure payload figures and thought I'd be fine. When I learned about "the sticker" I learned I had 1,000lbs less payload than I had planned. That's why I ended up with a F-350 dually (and was ushered into the TwoTimeTV Club).

From https://www.ramtrucks.com/content/da...Ram%202500.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAM.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	17336
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    ...It is imperative to look at the sticker on a truck configured to your specfications (or very close) to get the available payload.
    So what should you look for to be sure you're at least close?

- Cab (regular, extended, or crew)
    - Bed length
    - Engine (gas or diesel)
    - 2WD or 4WD
    - Trim level
    - Tires & wheels (size and type)
    - Any off road or heavy duty options
    - Anything else thats an option, and might weigh a lot, like sunroof, rear A/C, full size spare, etc.

When Barbara said we were getting a 337 (14K GVW), I went straight to the 3500 page on the Chevy website, thus avoiding the TwoTimeTV Club. [emoji3]

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave,
    This is really pretty simple. I got this formula from an RV safety agency onliine, and you can probably find it again if you want.
    You GVWR is the total amount of weight your vehicle can carry. For my Ram 2500 it's 10,000 lbs. From that number you subtract the weight of your vehicle, passengers, cargo, hitch, gas, beer and anything else you are carrying in the truck. The number you have left is how much hitch weight you can carry. If I were you, like others have suggested, I would leave some safety margin. The other important # is the GVCW, which is the total amount of weight your vehicle and trailer can safely weigh. For my Ram it's 25,300 lbs. This is the total weight of the truck and trailer and everything in them. As above, as safety margin is recommended.
    As for personal recommendations, I would not get anything but a diesel, and I love the cummins, I have a Reflection 29rs with 1600 lbs hitch weight, have put 6000 miles on it in the last 6 months and have no complaints at all.
    Hope this helps, Jim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jim and Judy in a Ram 2500 towing a
    2015 Reflection 29RS with modifications

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran the VIN thru the Dodge site, came back w/MAX PAYLOAD
    3690.00LBS and MAX TOWING 15450.0LBS. I still have not seen the truck/ sticker yet, but assume it should match the VIN (?). I should be able to verify what is listed on the truck tomorrow. I hear the comments that the payload number is suspicious, and what came back thru VIN website is even higher than the brochure.....Certainly has me scratching my head. I will share update tomorrow (because I am guessing all of you are on the edge of your seats about what truck I end up with!).

Have a good evening and thanks to all for the input and help.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I also ran my truck's VIN through the Ram owners web site and it was higher by a couple of hundred pounds over my door sticker. So....be sure to check the sticker on the door jamb.

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chuck,

Welcome aboard! This is a great place to find information about everything camping so you're in the right place. 3690 seems very high for a 2500 even with the Hemi. My 3500 megacab has 4,006 lbs of payload. If your GVWR is 10k and payload is 3690 that means your truck weighs 6,310. That seems a little light to me.

As far as towing, you'll be happy with its performance. You're running 4.10s so that's a big improvement in towing capacity over 3.73s. 4.10s add another 3,000 lbs capacity. I run 3.73s and have no problem pulling my 28BH. My camper has the same GVWR as the 31MB. You'll be happy with your setup.

Let us know what your truck payload sticker actually is when you get the truck.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sales guy sent me door sticker w/ axle ratings and tire sizes. I asked about vehicle rating and he gave me the shipping weight from the invoice at 6529. Do I need to tell him to look elsewhere on the truck? Adding running boards (100#?), and spray-in bedliner for another 100# still leaves me available payload a little under 3300#. I drink a lot of beer, but normally dont travel with pallets of it, and my wife is pretty skinny and the dog is only 30#....... Am I overthinking/ over worrying?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast