User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now take that 3300 lbs and subtract your weight, wife's weight, the dog, the hitch you add, the gas cans, coolers, generator, firewood or whatever else you put in the back of the truck. It all goes against payload.

It would seem you'd still be ok when doing the quick math and making a few assumptions regarding passenger weights ;-). I'd be more comfortable though if the salesman gave you the actual payload sticker from the truck. It would ease my mind if I were in your situation.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chuck,
    Believe me I was right where you are. I had already bought my truck and then people started telling me it was too light to pull a 5th wheel.
    I think the weight of 6529 could be a little heavy, but let's use that, better safe than sorry. If you use your available payload # of 3300#, take off 20% for a margin of safety, you still come up with a load of 2640. That would be the maximum hitch weight of the trailer you could tow. The hitch weight of my 29rs is probably 1700# fully loaded.
    I can't remember whether you said you were going with the Cummins diesel. I cannot overemphasis how happy I am that I listened to everyone that told me to go that route. I know it's an extra 7K or so, but it's worth every penny in my opinion.
    Best of luck, Jim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jim and Judy in a Ram 2500 towing a
    2015 Reflection 29RS with modifications

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks to me like unless you go nuts loading gear you will be fine with +3K payload. The 6.4 gasser with 4.10's should be fine in most towing situations. You will probably be turning some rpm's at higher altitudes pulling big grades , but that is such a small percentage of overall towing you can live with it. The diesel is great but will eat up your payload.
    Good luck
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the feedback. I have requested the sticker info, and am going to drive the truck tomorrow. It looks as if the stars are aligning and the truck will meet my needs. Just hoping momma doesn't want a new trailer next year (again!)......Next hurdle is the Andersen Ultimate vs the Reese Goosebox. I will start looking at old posts on that and then throw it out for discussion. I am leaning towards the Reese Goosebox

Again, thanks to all for chiming in, hopefully I'll be able to contribute more than my $12 and multitude of questions when I become a seasoned veteran with a second year of experience living the camper life.

Ill share the sticker weight tomorrow, thanks again.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Payload came in at 3124# from the sticker, so I think I am good to go. Going with Reese Goosebox, so saving +/- 165lbs there vs Lippert 1621.

Thanks

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck91 View Post
    Payload came in at 3124# from the sticker, so I think I am good to go. Going with Reese Goosebox, so saving +/- 165lbs there vs Lippert 1621.

Thanks
    Wow--in a 2500? That's great!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity, how is it going? Have you weighed you setup and know your loaded pin weight? How does it feel towing?

I have a 20 2500 cc sb 6.4 4.10 rear air 2900 pc and am in the same boat as you considering a 31mb. Any feedback you could share would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

31MB Tow Vehicle questions

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM2020 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how is it going? Have you weighed you setup and know your loaded pin weight? How does it feel towing?

I have a 20 2500 cc sb 6.4 4.10 rear air 2900 pc and am in the same boat as you considering a 31mb. Any feedback you could share would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    I have a 2016 Ram 2500 CC Cummins short bed with 3.73 (maybe 3.42) rear, Anderson ultimate hitch. I live in Denver and this past week pulled up over the I70 Eisenhower tunnel from Denver to Silverthorne, then on to the Kremmling area. I did weigh myself loaded with full tank of water, 4 passengers. When king pin dropped onto the ball/bed, i am perfectly level at 41” to each wheel well.

I towed over the pass both going and coming back, although coming back was down to 1/3 tank of water and less groceries. It’s quite a tow.

I am 600 lbs over my payload weight (people can flame me, i dont care).

My steer axel is coming in at 5120lbs (rated at 6000lbs with my Michelin tires)
    My drive axel comes in at 5480 (rated at 6500lbs same tires).
    Combined weight was 19580.

During the pull up and back was simple, smooth, powerful, easy.

My transmission temp never got over 176 even though it was 91 degrees outside (at lower elevation, about 80 at top of pass)

Engine temp at about 210 and oil i think hit about 220.

Tow mode selected, engine brake on full, locked into 4th gear going up and held 55mph easily at 1800 RPM.

Going down is where this thing shines. Engine brake, tow mode and computer down shifting kept me in control the entire time.

MPG on computer was 11.7. Didnt confirm manually.

I was a bit worried about payload weight and the “magical yellow sticker” inside the door.

I loved it, love this truck, and have no need to up to a 3500.

In short, I think your 6.4 will do great!!!

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rgkeaney; 08-14-2020 at 08:46 PM.
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgkeaney View Post
    I have a 2016 Ram 2500 CC Cummins short bed with 3.73 (maybe 3.42) rear, Anderson ultimate hitch. I live in Denver and this past week pulled up over the I70 Eisenhower tunnel from Denver to Silverthorne, then on to the Kremmling area. I did weigh myself loaded with full tank of water, 4 passengers. When king pin dropped onto the ball/bed, i am perfectly level at 41” to each wheel well.

I towed over the pass both going and coming back, although coming back was down to 1/3 tank of water and less groceries. It’s quite a tow.

I am 600 lbs over my payload weight (people can flame me, i dont care).

My steer axel is coming in at 5120lbs (rated at 6000lbs with my Michelin tires)
    My drive axel comes in at 5480 (rated at 6500lbs same tires).
    Combined weight was 19580.

During the pull up and back was simple, smooth, powerful, easy.

My transmission temp never got over 176 even though it was 91 degrees outside (at lower elevation, about 80 at top of pass)

Engine temp at about 210 and oil i think hit about 220.

Tow mode selected, engine brake on full, locked into 4th gear going up and held 55mph easily at 1800 RPM.

Going down is where this thing shines. Engine brake, tow mode and computer down shifting kept me in control the entire time.

MPG on computer was 11.7. Didnt confirm manually.

I was a bit worried about payload weight and the “magical yellow sticker” inside the door.

I loved it, love this truck, and have no need to up to a 3500.

In short, I think your 6.4 will do great!!!

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This makes me feel better although, I keep coming back to the legal issue of getting into an accident...blah, blah, blah. I’m over 4-500 pounds on my payload, but plan to go to the scales this weekend for total weight and axel weights.
    My insurance agent told me that insurance only cares if you’re over your gvwr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 31mb
    2020 Ford F350 Lariat SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeygesus View Post
    This makes me feel better although, I keep coming back to the legal issue of getting into an accident...blah, blah, blah. I’m over 4-500 pounds on my payload, but plan to go to the scales this weekend for total weight and axel weights.
    My insurance agent told me that insurance only cares if you’re over your gvwr.

I went ahead and traded my F250 for a srw F350 so I don’t have to think about it anymore. Pick it up on Monday.
    Around Texas (flat areas), the F250 would have worked, but loaded with the family towing in Colorado would have been pushing it.

2021 Reflection 31mb
    2020 Ford F350 Lariat SRW

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast