Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhooking Soltude 310gk

We just picked up our Solitude 310gk today. I am using a pullrite slider hitch with a flex air pin box. I drove it home from the dealership and backed it into my driveway. I went to unhook the trailer from the truck and it wouldn’t release. I kept trying to use my leveling system to get the right height where the hitch would release. Worked at it for over an hour and just couldn’t get it to release. I was wondering if because my driveway in slanted a little bit would that cause it not release. I have a new RAM 3500 and it has an air suspension system. I was also wondering if that would have something to do with it.

Any help or explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Jeff and Karen Smith
    Zionsville, Indina

2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
    RAM 3500 4X4 SRW, SB, Aisin transmission

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrsmith1123 View Post
    We just picked up our Solitude 310gk today. I am using a pullrite slider hitch with a flex air pin box. I drove it home from the dealership and backed it into my driveway. I went to unhook the traile r from the truck and it wouldn’t release. I kept trying to use my leveling system to get the right height where the hitch would release. Worked at it for over an hour and just couldn’t get it to release. I was wondering if because my driveway in slanted a little bit would that cause it not release. I have a new RAM 3500 and it has an air suspension system. I was also wondering if that would have something to do with it.

Any help or explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Not sure what you mean by release but if you mean you can’t pull the hitch unlocking handle, this is how I unhitch.
    The pullrite hitch lock wraps completely around the 5th wheel pin when towing. If you have forward truck pressure on the pin you cannot pull the release handle. I always back against chocks when parking to release the forward pressure on the pin. Then the release handle can be pulled easily and releases the pin. Then I raise the trailer until the weight is off the TV and pull the TV out.

...Jim...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds familiar, same thing happened to me our first time out.

The jaws of the hitch won't release unless there's no load, vertical or horizontal, on them.

Use your landing gear to raise the nose of the trailer until there's a gap between the plates of the pin box and the hitch. Something like 1/8" to 1/4". That takes care of the vertical load.

When you pull (or push) the trailer into a site, when you come to a stop the pin will be pressed against either the forward or rear face of the jaws. After you've positioned the trailer, very gently move the truck in the opposite direction from what you were going. That is, if you pulled forward into the site, back up just the slightest amount. That should take care of the horizontal load (I sometimes have to do this step a couple of times to get it right.).

Another way to do this is to leave the truck in neutral, brake off, and just let it roll away from pressuring the jaws. Since your driveway slopes this might not be possible.

It will probably take a few tries before you get the hang of just how much gap and movement you need.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]