User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outlet receptacle covers

Hi, I want to change one of the electrical receptacles to one with integral USB charger sockets. Went to do it yesterday and there was no screw holding the cover on. Do they just snap on and off. Don’t want to break it. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagman73 View Post
    Hi, I want to change one of the electrical receptacles to one with integral USB charger sockets. Went to do it yesterday and there was no screw holding the cover on. Do they just snap on and off. Don’t want to break it. Thanks in advance.
    Stagman73--please update your profile to show the year and model of your rig in a signature line (like mine below). That will help others to provide applicable responses as sometimes thing change from model to model (or year to year) when a question is posted.

Thanks!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done this, they do just snap off, but a warning. The factory outlets are integrated into the box so you will need a "old work" romex box as well as a new outlet and cover when you do the swap. Other than that it was a piece of cake.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, both for the info and the heads-up.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's couple picts of these RV outlets , Wirecon is one brand name.
    The cover snaps into the 2 holes on the outlet, I've misplaced the cover for this one I took out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3306.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	17349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3305.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	17350
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gene.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changing out with a USB outlet is pretty easy, but like indicated previously, you have to replace the box, which can be a pain depending on where the outlet is located and how many wires are terminated in the box. The boxes are small and if you need to use wire nuts, it can be difficult to get it all to fit.

Another option is to add a 12 outlet in a convenient location and tap power off of a nearby 12 volt circuit. You can then insert a USB plug made for cars into the outlet and just leave it. I did this on both sides of our bed and tapped directly off the lights which had an integral switch (i.e. there was 12 volt power at the light). Did the same in the bunk house and tapped off of the wall switch. Easy to plug the phones in at night when we go to bed. Another nice thing about this option is you do not need AC power to charge your phones, which is a plus if you dry camp a lot.

DAN
    Last edited by TwoElkhounds; 01-25-2019 at 06:37 AM.
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I needed a 12 volt outlet for my CPAP machine next to the bed, but the lighting circuit is not big enough wire or amps so I had to fish a 12 ga wire from the Battery compartment. Then I installed two cig.adp. one for CPAP and one cig. USB adp, then did the same on the other side of the bed, works great
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would a plug in model like this do the trick? https://www.amazon.com/POWRUI-Adapte...with+usb+ports

One thing to note, I had an under counter receptacle break and I needed to replace it with one like this that used mounting tabs to hold it in place (note this one does NOT have USB): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS