User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deep Freeze Dilemma

Greetings - I am pulling my 303RLS our of an indoor storage area (60 degrees ambient) to take it to Florida for 3 weeks. I did not winterize it (because of indoor storage) but attempted to blow all the water lines out with my air compressor in late October. I am dropping at a service center on Monday morning when I pull it out (30 degrees forecast) to get the bearings repacked, brakes inspected, etc... Then I need to leave it in my drive way for about 3 days with a forecast of 10 below to 10 above for a few days - kinda crazy cold snap - before we leave on Friday. I am a little nervous that maybe there is residual water? My options are, try to pump anti-freeze in as soon as i pull it out of the unit and then pump it out at my first hookup in Florida; Ask the service guys to also try and blow out the lines and leave it that way; any other ideas? Also, can I run the furnace while it is parked in my driveway with the bump-outs in? Any ideas you all have to keep me from blowing a water line would help -- I am a little nervous with it sitting in such crazy frigid temps for a few days before heading to Florida. Thanks folks!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The safest thing would be to put anti-freeze in it.

If it is only going to be 1 day at the service center it should be OK in your driveway with the furnace running.

If you have the Nautilus panel for your water control, I am not sure how one would go about blowing the water out to be sure it is all clear, lots of valves and different places for water to hide.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy+Mo View Post
    Greetings - I am pulling my 303RLS our of an indoor storage area (60 degrees ambient) to take it to Florida for 3 weeks. I did not winterize it (because of indoor storage) but attempted to blow all the water lines out with my air compressor in late October. I am dropping at a service center on Monday morning when I pull it out (30 degrees forecast) to get the bearings repacked, brakes inspected, etc... Then I need to leave it in my drive way for about 3 days with a forecast of 10 below to 10 above for a few days - kinda crazy cold snap - before we leave on Friday. I am a little nervous that maybe there is residual water? My options are, try to pump anti-freeze in as soon as i pull it out of the unit and then pump it out at my first hookup in Florida; Ask the service guys to also try and blow out the lines and leave it that way; any other ideas? Also, can I run the furnace while it is parked in my driveway with the bump-outs in? Any ideas you all have to keep me from blowing a water line would help -- I am a little nervous with it sitting in such crazy frigid temps for a few days before heading to Florida. Thanks folks!
    If it were mine I'd put anti-freeze in it. Super cheap insurance, easy to do, and easy to flush. If you're unsure of the procedure have the maintenance guys do it while it is in the shop.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been many discussions on this forum about "just blowing out the lines" vs "using antifreeze". There is a lot of water left in the system even after blowing out the lines. Pex and the soft hose lines can survive freezing. Some fittings and the pump, might not. The factory fills with antifreeze in the winter months. They would not do this if they felt they could get away with just blowing out the lines.

Antifreeze is cheap insurance!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree^^^^^^^^
    You are going to Florida to be warm and have fun, you sure don't want to go there and have water leaking all over.(unless you will be close to Rob, he may be looking for another project)

Brian

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any one know how many gallons I might need to have on hand to get the anti-freeze flowing to the bathroom and kitchen sink?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Less than 2 gallons.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any one know how many gallons I might need to have on hand to get the anti-freeze flowing to the bathroom and kitchen sink?
    I use 2 gal on my 303 and that covers everything including pouring some in the drains and pumping the black water flush line too.

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy 3 gallons even though 2 will do it. For $2-3 I pour what is left over in the black tank so, my wife has a good clean stool to use on our way south and nothing freezes. Carry a 3 gallon water can in the shower and pour what is necessary in stool to flush.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 4 gallons. 1-2 in the tank and the rest in all the lines through the pump bypass hose until it runs with 100% antifreeze and that the traps have been adequately flushed. Its best to use antifreeze than blowing out lines.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast