User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodyear Endurance tire question/recommendation

So, tomorrow I will be replacing the factory Westlakes with the GY Endurance tire. The Westlakes are still looking good and haven't given me any issue and are stamped 23rd week of 2016 (303 was purchased in Oct. of 2017). But I have read the horror stories, and quite honestly, I have never fully trusted them myself. But the Westlakes life isn't over as they will be going on my horse trailer that pretty well stays local and doesn't weight nearly as much, even with the two horses loaded and are a direct replacement in size.

But my questions is this. Would you all still look at replacing every 2-3 or even 3-4 years running the Endurance tire? I'm a firm believer in cheap insurance and safety. But these tires seem to be a cut above and should last much better than the china bombs we are all accustomed to in the trailering world. We are the weekend warrior type and a couple weeks a year vacationers, so not full time or cross country travelers that basically stay in the SE U.S. So of course mileage varies and I doubt they will see more than say 2500mi a year or so in a good year. I also always keep the tires covered and the 303 stays in a large pole barn out of the elements when not in use. And to say I'm OCD on preventive maintenance (tire PSI included) is an understatement. I don't mind doing it if its required or needed, but I also see no reason in throwing money away or replacing a perfectly good tire if not needed simply due to arbitrary reasons or age if it isn't as much of a factor where a higher quality product is concerned. And lets be honest...at $635 installed for all 4, It's not exactly pocket change. Better than a blow out with damage to rig for sure, but price does matter as I'm not loaded. And I guess that's kinda my point. Isn't that the reasoning in buying a superior product and spending the extra money to begin with? to get better performance, longevity, and reliability over an inferior product.

Anyways, I was just curious and would love some good feedback or personal experience.

Scott
    Last edited by Greene728; 01-24-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    2015 Ram SRW 3500 4x4 Cummins
    B&W Patriot 16K
    2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scott & Jennifer
    Newnan GA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott, That is almost the same amount I paid last summer for mine in Colorado after a blow out with one my Westlakes. I have completed a Rocky mountain trip last summer and am in Florida/Alabama now and have been extremely pleased with the Endurance tires. My only downside is the tread depth is not as great as other brands but, as long as they are dependable I am happy. I expect them to last 4 years and will replace on this schedule if they look like they need it, otherwise I may stretch it to 5. I am like you as my camper when not in use is in a pole barn out of direct sunlight, tires on wood and I am a fanatic about air pressure and at every stop I walk around with an infrared gun checking tire and bearing temps.
    Last edited by ksbowman; 01-24-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What dealer did you take your 303 to change to the Goodyear Endurance Tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved thread to "Tires" sub-group.

To the OP--I'd think about it in 4-5 years and then ask again. My (new) Endurance tires will be the same age at that time so we'll first celebrate that we're still here, be thankful we have the financial ability to even think about changing tires, and then see what we're each going to do.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you mean me it was Colorado Tire in Lamar, Colorado.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbowman View Post
    If you mean me it was Colorado Tire in Lamar, Colorado.
    Sorry, got you mixed up with the guy staying in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been in Florida, now in Foley, Al. north of Gulf Shores unfortunately heading home Saturday. Wife is sick and being sick away from sticks and bricks is no fun. I have a horse to train too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the responses, and to the Mod for moving my post to the correct location.
    I am leaning towards the 4-5 year rotation with the Endurance tires myself simply due to the miles and care they will receive. I just couldn't see spending the money on a very good top tier tire and then changing it without some type of justification. Obviously, time and how the tires look, hold up, and perform will be the key factors. And if the dealer question was directed towards me, I am not using a dealer, rather a local reputable tire company here at home for the change.
    2015 Ram SRW 3500 4x4 Cummins
    B&W Patriot 16K
    2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scott & Jennifer
    Newnan GA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just replaced my 2 year old Westlakes after 9000+ miles in preparation for the next big trip. No issues, just eliminating the weakest link of road safety. Lots of tread left. Sold them on CL for $100 to a guy with a utility trailer.

Bought GY Endurance ST205 75/15 D ($463, delivered) from Tire Rack, had the local guy balance and install them for $60. Better value than Discount Tire for us.

Heat and cycles kill trailer tires. My trailers do not leave storage without proper inflation. We tow at 65 mph with the occasional 70 mph burst.

Generally we change tires at 10,000 - 15,000 miles or 5 years. Seems to have worked on the 2 popups and 3 travel trailers we've owned, so far.

Maybe I over-maintain? DW does not enjoy time on the side of the interstate. Happy wife, happy life.
    Last edited by Rivercityjeff; 01-25-2019 at 07:14 AM.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extensive testing by multiple independent laboratories with millions of miles to sample from has shown that the Goodyear Endurance is, by far, the best trailer tire ever made. It exceeds all specifications and requirements from any trailer manufacturer and surpasses all expectations of 100% of owners everywhere.

It is so much better than Sailun tires that the president of China has actually imprisoned the entire Sailun factory staff for carrying out crimes against the people of the ROC, just for embarrassing them by making Sailun tires there.

In closing, I'd like to say that the Goodyear Endurance tires would still be a bargain at twice their current cost, just for the pride of ownership and the ability to display them to envious campers at campgrounds everywhere across these United States of America!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast