User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yosemite and the Redwoods
    Coming in to Calif. on I-40 continue to Barstow. In Barstow take Ca 58 to Ca 99 North in Bakersfield.

Continue on Ca 99 North to Fresno. Take Ca 41 North towards Yosemite. Find an RV park in or near Oakhurst, Ca. If you are a member of Escapees, they have a park in Coursegold….”Park of The Sierras”. You may also find an RV park in Mariposa or anywhere in between.

Spend a couple of days exploring Yosemite National Park. Stop in Wawona, and park by the Post Office to walk across the covered bridge for a quick visit to the Pioneer Yosemite History Center and the little village across the river, continue on towards Glacier Point and walk the paved trail the 100 yds or so out to the edge and look straight down to the valley floor below (you will be down there looking back up, shortly), after visiting Glacier Point, go back out to the highway, turning right, towards the valley floor. Just beyond the long tunnel make a left turn into the parking lot (aka Tunnel View) for an incredible view and photo op of the valley floor and Half Dome at the far end. Continuing on, stop at the Bridalveil Falls viewing point (another 100 yrds. up a paved trail). Continue on through the valley floor loop (it turns in to a one way for both lanes, as soon as you leave the Bridalveil parking lot). Continue on the loop without making any turns at the stop signs to a place on your left called “Swinging Bridge”…..which is no longer a swinging bridge. Walk out to the middle of the bridge for more incredible photo ops. Continuing on to Curry Village Pavillion. They have a snack bar and a cafeteria around the back, store, shops, etc. Leaving there you can continue around to the horse stables just for the drive and views and then return to Yosemite Village and on over to Majestic Yosemite Hotel (walk all through it, back to the formal dining room (a great place for a really nice lunch) and the great room with massive fire places on either end. Then go outside to the back yard and walk out to the creek and look back at the hotel for another photo op. All of the many water falls in Yosemite have trailheads that you can hike up, if you feel so inclined. You can get information just about anywhere in the park or from any park ranger. On your way out of the park there are many, many places to stop and get incredible photos or just take in the beauty.

From Oakhurst (or Mariposa…..or any point between those two), continue north on Ca 49. This Hwy is also known as the Gold Country Hwy. and named after the 1849 California gold rush. All of the communities up and down this highway were gold mining camps and towns back in the mid 1800s and full of California history. North of Mariposa you will have a long desent with some switchbacks, just use your engine brake and you

-2-

should be fine. It wasn’t an issue with my 21,000 lb. Momentum but did want to bring it to your attention. The switch backs aren’t that sharp, either but will need your
    undivided attention when descending. There are several turn outs on your left, at the top of the grade (and a great place to let brakes cool) to get some great shots. Continue on Ca 49 north Coulterville, Moccasin Powerhouse and Chinese Camp to Ca 120.

Left, West on Ca 120 through Oakdale and Manteca to I-5 North

I-5 North through Stockton to Ca 12 West (several truck stops, etc. at this exit).

Ca 12 West through Fairfield to Santa Rosa and Ca 101 North to your destination.

I would suggest Ancient Redwoods RV Park if you want to be right in the heart of it. And they have large pull through sites and no trees blocking reception…..newer, modern park. My second recommendation would be Riverwalk RV Park in Fortuna.

I would also suggest at least one meal at the Samoa Cookhouse just over the bridge from Eureka. Also in Eureka you’ll want to at least stop for an exterior photo op (but try to take the tour) of the Carson Mansion in Eureka…. https://www.ingomar.org/about/tour-carson-mansion

Also visit the little town of Trinidad (rugged coast village), Willow Creek (Big Foot Museum) and Ferndale (all Victorian built homes and businesses).

So many other things to see/do in this area. To much to list.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the “Swinging Bridge” area is the Yosemite Valley Chapel. It is the oldest building in Yosemite Valley.

The views are everywhere. Stop and pull over if you even think there might be something to look at. If you see a sign, pull over. If you see water or a bridge; pull over. Here is a shot, when we pulled over.

Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a coyote that I came across on Christmas day a few years ago, in Yosemite valley, on the loop road.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8308190779_0f0b18954a_c.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	17448

Here is a link to many of the sites that you'll see if you follow my suggestions above:

Yosemite..... https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index....656#msg1391656

Redwoods.....(this is six pages of photos. As you get to the bottom of each page, you'll see the page numbers on the left....just click on the next page)... https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=108167.0
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree! Spring is best in Yosemite solely for the falls. That entire area is spectacular. We're going back again this spring! Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glacier Point Yosemite.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	17449
    Howard & Ellen

2018 RAM Rebel Hemi 27700 miles
    2018 Imagine 2600RB 10704 miles
    Equal-i-zer 14,000 hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mid to late April is about the best for the highest flow of all of the waterfalls.

If you spend three days in Yosemite and four days in the redwoods, get up each morning and go do the things laid out.....then you'll be able to do everything that I've suggested. Do it in the order that I laid out and you'll not have to be wasting time back tracking. It's all laid out for you to go in one direction/loop.
    Last edited by JCZhome; 01-31-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for the info. Really looking forward to this trip. This is a great web site with excellent members! Chris
    Chris & Kelly-- Tulsa
    Reflection 337 #217, SOLD 7-3-2017
    2015 Ford F350 CC LB
    B & W Companion
    2016 Solitude 369

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    After the “Swinging Bridge” area is the Yosemite Valley Chapel. It is the oldest building in Yosemite Valley.

The views are everywhere. Stop and pull over if you even think there might be something to look at. If you see a sign, pull over. If you see water or a bridge; pull over. Here is a shot, when we pulled over.

Tuolomne meadows is awesome x 1,000,000
    ... did you camp there with a 40 foot fifth wheel ?

(I am guessing that is Lembert Dome ? )

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Faster675 View Post
    Tuolomne meadows is awesome x 1,000,000
    ... did you camp there with a 40 foot fifth wheel ?

(I am guessing that is Lembert Dome ? )
    Yes. Tuolomne Meadows is awesome. The motorcycle is parked up at the foot of the bridge at a very little pull-off.
    I don't think I would take our Momentum into Yosemite. I don't think if would be any fun. I would choose what side we wanted to be on 300 mile before we even got close.

I camped at the meadows area back in 1980. My girlfriend and I stayed in a rented 2 person wall tent with a small potbelly wood stove. We ate in the lodge family style with 4 other couples from all over the world. It was mid Sept and it was snowing as we came up Tiogo Pass. The next morning was a beautiful sunny day and all the 2 inches of snow had melted. We idled through the park to the valley on the 77 Harley with no other vehicles in sight for almost 2 hours.

My wife and I did a 3 night backpack trip in the early 90's in the park from Tuolomne area down. That was some beautiful rocky country with waterfalls too.
    Last edited by orbiker; 02-02-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JCZ.....we're going to be at Riverwalk in April. Coming up from Valencia, in SoCal.

Can we use CA36 between I5 and Fortuna in our F350/376th combo, or would CA12 to 101 be better? Trying to avoid the Bay Area traffic as much as possible.

Thanks

Cal
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calnca View Post
    JCZ.....we're going to be at Riverwalk in April. Coming up from Valencia, in SoCal.

Can we use CA36 between I5 and Fortuna in our F350/376th combo, or would CA12 to 101 be better? Trying to avoid the Bay Area traffic as much as possible.

Thanks

Cal
    No, you do not want to do Ca 36 at all.....not even in your truck without the 376! That road will wear you out when you're on a motorcycle.

I would suggest taking Ca 12 (near Lodi) across to Ca 101 (at Santa Rosa). That'll be an easy pull with the 376TH.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast