User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    Yeah, that's kind of what I'm afraid of. I'm wondering if a washer would be too much. Only one way to find out though. ;-).

Im also considering airbags or Bilstein shocks. I'm assuming when I have less weight shifted and more stuff loaded that I'll need a bit more damping.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Adding bags just brings one more item into play when trying to adjust the hitch. If anything maybe heavier rated spring bars. If you do add bags set the pressure in the bags before you set the hitch. Any change to the bag pressure after the hitch is set changes everything.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob/OlallaWA View Post
    Adding bags just brings one more item into play when trying to adjust the hitch. If anything maybe heavier rated spring bars. If you do add bags set the pressure in the bags before you set the hitch. Any change to the bag pressure after the hitch is set changes everything.
    That's a good point. My neighbor keeps talking up bags like they're part of the second coming.

2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your neighbor hauls heavy without wdh or pulls a 5th wheel, bags can help level up the truck, but the weight is still on the rear axle.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob/OlallaWA View Post
    If your neighbor hauls heavy without wdh or pulls a 5th wheel, bags can help level up the truck, but the weight is still on the rear axle.

He used to and that's why he liked them so much. I was looking that the Roadmaster Active Suspension for a while, too. But, I'm going to give it some time to see what the truck really needs. I'm also going try to get to some scales this weekend to see if I need to adjust the hitch or not.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I heard back from Equalizer and they told me to leave it alone until the camper and truck are loaded. Then retake the measurements.

If I can, I'll take it to some scales for that. Will update when I can. We're not planning any trips for a while.

2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    That's a good point. My neighbor keeps talking up bags like they're part of the second coming.

Sorry if i'm wrong on all this, but if you have to add aftermarket parts to your truck to pull or carry a load then you need to either buy a better truck or buy a RV that weighs less.
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7l 4x4 regular cab 3.73 gears 68rfe trans. Payload 6255lbs
    2016 Reflection 337rls

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stimpack View Post
    Sorry if i'm wrong on all this, but if you have to add aftermarket parts to your truck to pull or carry a load then you need to either buy a better truck or buy a RV that weighs less.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you. But in reality there's a difference between 'good enough' and 'good'. From the factory, my truck is 'good enough', but a few choice upgrades here and there could probably make it much better. For instance, the stock rancho shocks on the z71 are garbage in general and putting the trailer on just makes it worse. Bilsteins all around will be happening.

Now, in my neighbor's case, he had a roughly 6,000lb camper he pulled with a Tacoma. I don't remember if he had a WDH or not but he did have bags. That setup may have been under his max-tow, but there's no way he was under payload with his family in there. They had a bigger truck by the time they moved in next to us, but that was crazy. I thought he was joking when he told me they used to tow like that.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stimpack View Post
    I would disagree with that statement. Upgrading the stock tires on a pickup, say to LT tires or higher rated load numbers (I did that) will improve or increase your towing capabilities. Better shocks than stock - I am sure they exist and will improve a truck's towing prowess. While I would not mess with engine tuners these days, back in 2003, I used one to improve power and shifting capabilities on my Chevy 2500HD. In that case it did not increase my towing capabilities, but definitely improved they way it handled the load.
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is quick way to tell if your hitch is setup correctly. Front end should raise slightly and rear end should go down slightly but rubber bumper on rear springs should still have clearance and not touch axle. Very important to have weight on rear axle for traction for pulling and stopping; on 1500's easier to see than on 2500's or 3500's as they have stronger springs to carry more weight. You still want your front end to carry designed weight load for control and proper steering. Equalizer has excellent manual on how to adjust correctly and You Tubes are out there also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12