User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The method to our madness: as others (above) have said, we run our fireplace all the time when needed. We set the main thermostat just below where the fireplace is set so that, if the fireplace can't meet the demand by itself, the main furnace will kick in. If temps will consistently get below freezing at night, I run a small ceramic heater on a thermostat in the basement to keep the water utilities thawed out (I have added extra insulation and protection to the water lines to the kitchen island as they run outside the main basement area). We also have a small portable heater with a digital thermostat that we use to warm up the bathroom before showers. This routine keep us warm and and all the plumbing thawed out until temps fall below the mid-20s. At that point, the furnace will start cycling to maintain comfortable temps and further protect the basement.

I recently pulled the fireplace and inspected the wiring to make sure I didn't have the connection/overheating issue experienced by a few folks as referenced by (Other) Rob above.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We run ours all night, and as others have said, treat it as an electric space heater. One of the precautions taken was to buy and install two smoke detectors.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add to the pile...

Our fireplace is our first-line defense against cool; we run it a lot.

Second-line defense is to add the heat pump (option in our Solitude) to the fireplace but as the temps drop into the forties it starts to run a lot to maintain low seventies, is pretty noisy, and blows coolish drafts around the trailer.

Third-line defense and last resort is the gas furnace and the fireplace. However we've recently discovered that only 4-5 nights of maintaining 70 degrees inside when it's low-40s outside - with the fireplace also running at 70 degrees - will kill a 30-pound tank of propane. Ouch! This in a "extended living" trailer that's supposed to be winter-livable (including double-paned-glass windows).

If it was really cold outside you'd be able to find our propane dealer by the wide grin on his face.
    Last edited by boyscout; 01-29-2019 at 08:19 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    If it was really cold outside you'd be able to find our propane dealer by the wide grin on his face.
    LOL! You owe me a keyboard and a cup of coffee.

Actually, my all electric S&B home costs $4.78 a day to run so a few bucks a day is normal for us. OTOH, it is a lot less convenient to refill propane tanks.
    Last edited by JColeman; 01-29-2019 at 09:08 AM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12