User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
    Hi All,

My wife and I are planning a trip to South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, and Alberta next August and September, hopefully getting out of there before the snows fall. I am totally unfamiliar with the roads in that area, but I do reference Google Maps, a Rand McNally Motor Carriers Road Atlas, and a Western Mountain Directory. I would like input from those that have actually traveled some of the routes that we plan.

Our equipment: A 2017 F350 diesel with engine brake. A 2017 Grand Design 337 RLS.

My driving experience: I live in the northern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia with the Blue Ridge Mountains to the east, and the Massanutten and Shenandoah Mountains to the west. I have driven the mountain roads around here for 50 years. I towed a 5500 lb, 28' trailer behind an F150 with the 5.4L for 8 years, and the last 2 years I have towed with our current equipment..........no problems with either setup over many of the mountain passes around here. Most of the mountain passes have 6-8% grades with 35 mph curves, and 1 set of mountains we did in the F150 and bumper pull was 7-10%, again without a problem.........although I think I could see my own trailer tail lights on some of the curves.

1st question of many on this thread: We will be crossing the Bighorns from either Buffalo or Sheridan, Wy to Cody (depending on which route we take). The 2 routes shown are Rt 14 and Rt 16. Rt 14A seems a bit hairy with a grade called "Oh, my god hill" by the locals.......I think we will take that route off of our list. So between Rt. 14 (main route) and Rt. 16, it looks like Rt. 16 might be the better route according to the Mountain Directory West. Both routes appear to be STAA authorized routes.

Thoughts ??

Thanks, Chap
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainFolk View Post
    Look thru previous pages in this thread for info on where you are heading,
    there is a lot of info. This link has some of the better info for towing
    around Yellowstone area. http://www.rvtechmag.com/travel/4_yellowstonebyrv.php

I am going to be in the South Dakota/Yellowstone area this summer and plan on taking
    Hwy 16 west from Buffalo to Hwy 20 north to Hwy 14 West all the way to Hwy 191
    thru the park.

As mention earlier, watch the long down hills and don't overheat the brakes.
    Page 4 of the recommended article by Seth tell about the roads 14 and 16.
    http://www.rvtechmag.com/travel/4_ye...ebyrv.php?pg=4
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    The mountain roads in West Virginia are more nerve racking than the majority of the roads out west.
    That is what I have heard, and even what the Mountain Directory West implies.

Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Here is a link to the scenic roads in WY.

When I travel, I like to take the less crowded route. I would take 16 out of Buffalo to Worland and then 432 to 431 to 120 to Cody. That's 180 miles and 3 hours according to Google map.

Wy State Highway Map KEN
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    As for the Bighorns - 16 is a little easier, but 14 is doable too. I think 14 is more scenic, but both are great in that regard. 14 has many 15 mph hairpin curves going up east to west. But nothing scary. Wide road, easy to stay in lane. Going down the other side is still twisty/turny, but not as bad. Seemed like the descent is longer though. I was pulling the old 5th in my sig. with the f150. Did have to brake a lot, even though I stayed in very low gears and depended on engine braking. With your F350, and previous experience (it was our first time towing big over such terrain), you won't have any issues. But, as you noted - don't even think about 14A!
    We will probably do Rt. 16.

Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Page 4 of the recommended article by Seth tell about the roads 14 and 16.
    http://www.rvtechmag.com/travel/4_ye...ebyrv.php?pg=4
    Thanks. I had read through that article several times, but seemed to miss the comparisons between the 2 routes on my earlier reads.
    Chap, Joy, and furbaby Argus
    2017 F350 diesel, 4x4, crew cab, short bed
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    B&W slider for Ford 5th wheel prep package

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally like the "oh my god" route over the big horns. As you are from West to East, it will just be the climb up. The views are fantastic. We usually spend the night at the Sibley Lake NFS campground at the top (if we can get in). Pretty gentle drop down into Ranchester from there. Course I like running the "million dollar highway" from Ouray to Durango also. jmho
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulled our 310GK over US 16 (sweet 16) last May. I stopped a few times as the engine oil was heading for 250. I got 4.5 MPG to the top of Powder River pass (9,666 ft). I then drove US14 solo from the west side to the jct of 14A. Yes it is very twisty on 14. I would not try 14A as it has a section 10% grade going into Lovell. I enjoyed driving over 16. One trip we stayed at the KOA in Greybull and last Sept. stayed at the KOA in Cody. Good place to drive into the park and a must drive solo trip is the Beartooth pass.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next question: Is Rt 89/287 RV (337 RLS) friendly from the Yellowstone southern entrance to Moran, WY ??
    Chap, Joy, and furbaby Argus
    2017 F350 diesel, 4x4, crew cab, short bed
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    B&W slider for Ford 5th wheel prep package

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never been that way. There is a 9650' pass before you drop into the Wind River canyon
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12