Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retirement Trip

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Retirement Trip

Looking for help in planning a 3 week (est) trip from Travis AFB CA to Ohio. I am retiring from the Air Force in early June and we will be taking our time in our Reflection 320MK exploring the National Parks and other awesome sights. Hoping to head south to Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP then across Northern Rim of the Grand Canyon up through southern Utah (Zion, Bryce and Arches), continuing on through Wyoming to Grand Teton and Yellowstone, then up through the Dakotas to see Badlands, Mt Rushmore, and Crazy Horse. Not sure of route after that, other than my sister-in-law say to make sure we stop at the House on the Rock in Wisconsin. Figured we would find a central point to set up base camp and do some day trips at each of the general areas. Are we biting off more than we can chew. This is our first big trip and time is not a factor.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because you mentioned it, the House on the Rock is amazing. His collection of "stuff" is incredible. Worth seeing, plan on it taking some time.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you planning these places in the winter? If so, you are a brave fellow. We head south for the winter -- north in the summer months.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle27ak View Post
    Looking for help in planning a 3 week (est) trip from Travis AFB CA to Ohio. I am retiring from the Air Force in early June and we will be taking our time in our Reflection 320MK exploring the National Parks and other awesome sights. Hoping to head south to Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP then across Northern Rim of the Grand Canyon up through southern Utah (Zion, Bryce and Arches), continuing on through Wyoming to Grand Teton and Yellowstone, then up through the Dakotas to see Badlands, Mt Rushmore, and Crazy Horse. Not sure of route after that, other than my sister-in-law say to make sure we stop at the House on the Rock in Wisconsin. Figured we would find a central point to set up base camp and do some day trips at each of the general areas. Are we biting off more than we can chew. This is our first big trip and time is not a factor.
    If time is not a factor, I would suggest at least doubling your time table. Take this from a couple that hit many of those places in a two month trip last spring from Massachusetts. We still try to cram to much in to little time and that was our first post retirement trip. Take you time and enjoy the journey.
    I would also note that those are very popular destinations and time is of the essence in securing campground reservations. Happy planning.
    Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    Are you planning these places in the winter? If so, you are a brave fellow. We head south for the winter -- north in the summer months.
    Early June

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are biting of more than you need to chew.
    Remember you are retired now, slow down and spend time along the way. It's a
    hard lesson we all have to learn.
    I would recommend the 2/2/2 rule, drive only 200 miles a day, be in your campsite
    by 2:00 PM (not 14:00 anymore) and stay 2 days in campsite.
    If you only have 3 weeks, I would target 1 or 2 areas to set up a base camp to explore.
    1 week in the Sierras/Yosemite or 1 week in Yellowstone (etc.)
    Make reservations tomorrow, you might be able to get a spot at the more popular areas.
    Seth and Becca
    2016 RAM Longhorn 3500 DRW "Brown Beast"
    2017 Momentum 376TH "Tajmahauler"
    2007 Road King "The Girlfriend"

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...psdelejw5x.jpg

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we biting off more than we can chew.
    Based on your forum name, I'm guessing you're either ops or mx. My response is based on that guess: don't handle the trip like it's deploying the squadron for an AEF! Factor in time for things that can (and probably will) go sideways from "the plan". I find everything takes longer with the RV and travel days can be very tiring. My daughter is six hours away (in a car) thus it takes over 8 towing the trailer. Throw in teardown and setup and the day gets llllloooonnnnggg. If there is weather or traffic issues the day can get really long.

FYI, I'm retired AF (mx, 30 years). It took me almost 6 months to decompress.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on your timeline you will get a few views of things, but not enough time to enjoy. Kinda like what we did a few years ago. We planned a 2 week trip to Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming including the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. We spent so much time at Little Big Horn that we got a glimpse of Mt. Rushmore, drove thru Custer State Park, whipped thru Sturgis, drove straight thru Wyoming to Jackson and had about 3 days for the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone instead of the week we wanted. Next Summer we plan on taking the Grandgirls to Jackson and the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone for a 3 week trip.

I would pick out several things that I wanted to see and apply my trip to see those and plan another trip for the others.

Your retired spend some time at each place you want to see and enjoy seeing it. We have started taking our trips (DW and I) in late August thru Mid-October. The kids are back at school and the parks/towns are nearly empty so there is no rush, not much traffic and the tour guides can spend much longer time with you. There are several sites that we want to go see again (Jackson area and New Mexico) and then add new sites to the trip. Taking an RV trip allows you to see things and spend time enjoying things that you might just "gloss" over during really planned and timed trip. On one trip we went from Niagara Falls to Fort Niagara, thought we would spend 30-40 minutes there and head on the Cooperstown. We spent most of the day at Ft. Niagara and added 2 days to our trip for Cooperstown.

I guess the point that I'm trying to make is as Dave and Seth said you're not deploying troops so take your time, enjoy what you see and don't be afraid to visit that little out of the way town or shop. You are making memories, seeing things that you only saw on a map. You want to come home tired, but not exhausted, and already planning you next trip on the way home. Not heading home thinking that you'll never do this again.

Take care and enjoy the trip(s).
    Last edited by AustexGP; 01-28-2019 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Duplicate Sentence
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early June
    The middle of peak season for most of the destinations that you mention. Make your reservations now! Also, plan on traffic and taking longer than google maps shows. A truck/trailer just takes longer because it's slow speed than at car speed and you add a lot of traffic to those high tourist areas will make it even slower for somebody pulling a trailer.

Go slow, take your time or you're going to be worn out from rushing through all of these areas and stressed because you're falling behind on your goals. If you can't extend your time frame then I would suggest dropping off about half of those destinations.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Based on your forum name, I'm guessing you're either ops or mx. My response is based on that guess: don't handle the trip like it's deploying the squadron for an AEF! Factor in time for things that can (and probably will) go sideways from "the plan". I find everything takes longer with the RV and travel days can be very tiring. My daughter is six hours away (in a car) thus it takes over 8 towing the trailer. Throw in teardown and setup and the day gets llllloooonnnnggg. If there is weather or traffic issues the day can get really long.

FYI, I'm retired AF (mx, 30 years). It took me almost 6 months to decompress.
    Hell I’m retired just over a year from Nursing and still trying to decompress, the work nightmares are starting to get less frequent.

Dave .. back to the regular scheduled programming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast