User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replace OEM puck system

I am wanting to use a 4" offset ball with a Reese Goosebox. I have the factory to prep in my 2019 3500 Duramax. As far as I can tell no one makes an offset ball for any of the factory prep systems since they are round. Has anyone replaced their factory prep puck system with a standard turnover ball? I am concerned with having enough clearance with a shortbed truck.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a way to do this but it means buying the goose ball plate that fits a a rail system. You install the rail system adapter, get the goose ball plate and have the ball mount moved forward. Here is an example of the plate I am talking about https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...yABEgIqYfD_BwE

Hope this helps

BTW: If you go this way be sure the rail adapter has the slotting for the goose ball plate - some dont.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the very same issue - and goal. I have done a fair bit of research on how to do this "above bed" along the lines of powerscol's response but when I looked into that, the height of the ball was considerably higher than OEM ball height (like 3"). That, plus the weight of the adapter rails and the bent hitch plate were greater than I wanted. As we speak, I'm investigating making my own using "portions" of rail adapters from Curt and a little welding. As I get closer to "fabrication", I'll post some sketches/ideas for others to shoot holes in.

Seems to me though that Curt/others are missing a real opportunity. When an aftermarket system is better suited to a common need than an OEM system, that smells like a business opportunity to me!